The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-05-2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmruegg View Post
Shortest time I owned a guitar occurred when I bought a Collings OM with a 1 11/16" neck. Really liked the guitar but couldn't get comfortable with the narrow neck as I am a fingerstyle player primarily. Sold it about 4 months after I got it. Took about a $800 hit on the transaction. I knew it was narrow at the time I bought it, but thought I would adapt, but never really could. Wait for exactly what you want would be my advice.
I'm having the darndest time finding a high quality steel string with a greater than 1 3/4 neck that I don't have to order custom.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I loved everything about it except that darned skinny neck. Ugggg! I can't do skinny necks.
I know exactly what you mean. I can not stand the Martin MLO neck.

My perfect guitar fit is the Eastman E6OM. (000/OM size, sitka/mahogany.)

My favourite tone is Martin (D-18, 000-18, 00-18)

Just bought a 2003 00-18V that sounds perfect with a neck I love. Just wished it was a 000 or OM. I can't always find the best position for my right arm.

My only hope is to find one of the 987 Martin produced from 1999-2007. Being in Europe the chance is really low.
https://umgf.com/viewtopic.php?p=78129#p78129
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 08-06-2021, 01:27 AM

Having the opposite Collings problem (that is nevertheless saving me money). Would almost certainly buy the new Collings CJ45T but for the extra thick neck.

And, as others have written, neck sizes do affect the sound. I do believe, with Collings, that the relatively new T neck for a 1 11/16 nut size makes the Traditional dreads sound a little different than the standard neck does. I actually prefer it--although I admit I prefer the size of the newer neck as well.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The neck actually does have some impact on the sound of the guitar, so it’s not outside the realm of possibility that you could find another one with the neck you prefer but which doesn’t give you the sound that you want.

I’d say keep looking.

whm
I know some who swear that the added mass of a slotted headstock with a neck void of a channel for the truss rod is the way to go.

With Collings though I recall reading over at their forum that in spring 2017 necks were slimmed down across the board. At the time I was thinking about snagging a CJ35 and remember thinking as I like thicker necks I would be better off limiting myself to guitars built before that year.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Played a Collings OM2H rw with baked sitka today. Man that guitar knocked my socks off! I loved everything about it except that darned skinny neck. Ugggg! I can't do skinny necks. When I asked about getting one with a fatter neck, they told me there is a year backlog with Collings and if I put down a deposit, I couldn't even get an estimated delivery date for a year, so it could be as much as 2 years, possibly more, to get it.

I liked that guitar so much I'm going to go back and play it again just to see if I could possibly live with the neck, but I know it's doubtful it would be a long term guitar, and that's just too much money to put into something that's not perfect.

Bummer.
Just to give another perspective. Eight years ago, trying some guitars at Artisan in Nashville I was handed a new CJ35G to play. It was the first to land at Artisan, and so one of the first in the stores, and the folks wanted feedback. I loved it. It has a sound that was one I never knew I wanted but instantly knew I needed. But it came with a pretty substantial Vintage Now neck and wasn't comfortable for me to play. So I handed it back, declared it was wonderful with an unplayable neck for me.

Then I came back in the next day and got it.

I've had it now for eight years, and it took a long time for me to become entirely comfortable with the neck, but it has always sounded wonderful. And now it is pretty much my favorite guitar and just, as Collings do, becomes better and better through the years.

I wouldn't have purchased it were it to be my only guitar. I had a brilliant Collings OM2G as well. But I certainly have no regrets--am delighted I took the chance--and it truly is a thrill to play each time I pick it up.

So, it's certainly risky to get ahold of something that isn't comfortable, and this is not advice to do this. (As posted above, I won't take the plunge for the neck on the CJ45T: because I can't imagine getting comfortable with a neck bigger than that on the CJ35G, and also because I'm happy with the guitars I have now.)

Just a story with a different ending.

Last edited by jrb715; 08-06-2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:38 AM

A little update to my op. I went back yesterday and spent some quality time with it in a room alone. The more I played it, the more I began to realize it wasn't that skinny. Not like a Martin MLO, it had a little more heft than that. They left me alone for an hour with it. (Thanks Maple Street Guitars!) I really took my time with it and played a lot of different stuff, capod, different tunings, etc. I had to make sure.

Long story short, I know they are having a difficult time getting inventory, like everybody else, and I've got quite a few electric guitars that haven't been played in quite some time. I took 3 of them down there to see what they could do. Jeez, the price of used has skyrocketed! When the dust settled I walked out with my first Collings and a deal that I was really happy with!

I'm taking a break from playing for a bit. I've played it so much my fingers are killing me. Moral of the story - sometimes 1st impressions aren't always right. There is some real magic going on with this guitar and I'm thrilled to have it.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A little update to my op. I went back yesterday and spent some quality time with it in a room alone. The more I played it, the more I began to realize it wasn't that skinny. Not like a Martin MLO, it had a little more heft than that. They left me alone for an hour with it. (Thanks Maple Street Guitars!) I really took my time with it and played a lot of different stuff, capod, different tunings, etc. I had to make sure.

Long story short, I know they are having a difficult time getting inventory, like everybody else, and I've got quite a few electric guitars that haven't been played in quite some time. I took 3 of them down there to see what they could do. Jeez, the price of used has skyrocketed! When the dust settled I walked out with my first Collings and a deal that I was really happy with!

I'm taking a break from playing for a bit. I've played it so much my fingers are killing me. Moral of the story - sometimes 1st impressions aren't always right. There is some real magic going on with this guitar and I'm thrilled to have it.
Excellent! I have always found that there is no substitute for some playing time to fully and accurately determine how I feel about a guitar. Congrats on snagging one that blows your mind!!!
Old 08-09-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Glad you went back to try it out properly -- you can't always decide between 'different' and 'wrong' in a short space of time.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
I can understand where people are coming from in this thread. I stopped off last week at my favorite guitar shop to get some strings for my Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J45. While I was there, I noticed they had a used Eastman E20 OSS (Eastman's take on the Gibson L-00). Since I like Eastmans due to them sounding good, and having nice and relatively chunky necks, I took it for a spin. It sounded absolutely killer, and the neck felt good. I seriously considered buying it, but while I like chunky 1 11/16" wide necks like the E20 OSS had, I've grown to like chunky 1 3/4" wide necks over the past couple of years (I had never played a 6-string guitar with a 1 3/4" wide neck before 2 years ago) even more.

Since I've wanted a 00 or parlor guitar (either, preferably in a 12-fret style) for some time, and the guitar shop in question I tried the E20 OSS at is also an Eastman dealer, I made an inquiry about buying either an E20OO, or an E20P (both of which are 12-fret guitars with 1 3/4" wide necks). They gave me a good price for either of the two guitars, but told me that either of them wouldn't be received until at least December. I mulled things over, and decided that while the E20 OSS would very tempting (especially since I could have it now), it would end up not being what I really wanted (it would be a compromise), so I decided to put up with the wait, and ordered an Eastman E20P parlor guitar instead.
Those Eastman E20P parlors have a 1&13/16ths neck width. It’s wiiiiide. I really hope you like yours when you get it but do keep that in mind.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion