The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-20-2021, 09:06 AM

Default Loudbox Mini "Rebuild" Questions

Like many here, I own a Loudbox Mini amp and, like many here, the tolex is shedding like crazy so I have a couple Questions:

1. Is there any Product that can be applied (sprayed perhaps?) to the remaining cover material to halt it's further deterioration?

2. Does anyone make a "kit" that one can use to replace the shedding body/chassis parts with solid wood?

I remember seeing a thread several years ago where someone replaced the existing, shedding, body parts of their Mini with beautiful wood but I can't find the thread.

I've read the newer Minis have a greatly improved Tolex material that no longer shreds at the slightest touch but I'm not looking to replace my amp, just make it more home-friendly. The electronics are in perfect working order but the outside is in seriously bad condition. In the interest of full disclosure, this shedding started when I put the official amp cover on it. The cover was very tight and I just muscled it onto the amp which seemed to start the shedding process. I no longer use the cover...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
Old 09-20-2021, 10:40 AM

UPDATE:

After posting the above um, post, I reached out to Fishmann just to see what they thought of the issue and received a very nice email that contained a link to their RA system. I haven't yet done so, but they want me to fill out an RA request and then they will send me the necessary paperwork to send along for a no cost replacement of the tattered tolex and no cost return shipping.

Presently I have no idea the cost of shipping but it has to be less than buying a new amp!!

Just wanted to pass this along,
PJ
Old 09-24-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

a lot of well deserved love for Fishman's service here on the AGF. They've always treated me very well and that seems to be the norm. For your case I would add that if you're comfortable taking out the amp head from the cabinet that will reduce your shipping costs. Fishman can provide you with a PDF version of the instructions to do this and it's pretty simple.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:23 PM

Thanks for that. Unfortunately I didn't return to this thread until this morning and have sent the complete amp to the Loudbox folks 2 days ago.

Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.

I'm taking the view that I will have an essentially brand new $370 amp, whose sound I already love, for $74 (I got insurance).

Thanks again,
PJ
Old 10-04-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Like many here, I own a Loudbox Mini amp and, like many here, the tolex is shedding like crazy so I have a couple Questions:

1. Is there any Product that can be applied (sprayed perhaps?) to the remaining cover material to halt it's further deterioration?

2. Does anyone make a "kit" that one can use to replace the shedding body/chassis parts with solid wood?

I remember seeing a thread several years ago where someone replaced the existing, shedding, body parts of their Mini with beautiful wood but I can't find the thread.

I've read the newer Minis have a greatly improved Tolex material that no longer shreds at the slightest touch but I'm not looking to replace my amp, just make it more home-friendly. The electronics are in perfect working order but the outside is in seriously bad condition. In the interest of full disclosure, this shedding started when I put the official amp cover on it. The cover was very tight and I just muscled it onto the amp which seemed to start the shedding process. I no longer use the cover...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ
I hear you brother. The outside of my Loudbox Mini looks like I have been dragging it behind my car and I have not abused it in anyway.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM

Huh. I must have a newer version. I shlepped it to gigs all over and the Tolex is fine.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-04-2021, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Same issue here. Factory cover seems to have rubbed tolex off along the front of the side panels. Building a wood cab is on my project list. Let us know how your refurb goes.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-07-2021, 05:34 PM

Default UPDATE

My amp just arrived today from Fishman.

Actually I should say my BRAND NEW amp arrived today.

Yep, they decided to send me a new one rather than try to "fix" the tolex on my original amp. It should be noted that my amp was years beyond any warranty. I initally wrote to them to find out how much re-covering it would cost.

They said if I ship it to them on my dime, they would repair it and send it back to me at no cost (I think I mentioned this in my original post ...)

I received a notice from them that they were going to just send me a new amp but as they were out of stock, I would have to wait a bit. The wait turned into a few weeks due to the electronic components shortage (at least that's what I think).

I have been emailing about once a week with Sara with Fishman who was very gracious and apologetic about the delay. She wrote that since I was being so patient, she wanted to send me some SWAG so sent me a T shirt and one of their FT2 clip on tuners.

In the current world of less than stellar customer service, I just wanted to give a shout out to Fishman for taking care of me long after they had any obligation to.

There are still some great people and vendors out there and Fishman has just risen to the top in my book.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-07-2021, 05:39 PM

Yep! Fishman Customer Service is awesome.
Glad it all worked out for you.
Happy holidays and play on!

_Roger
Old 12-08-2021, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Great to see that Fishman is stepping up and repairing the torn tollex!!!

However, if the cost of shipping is too much, someone posted here a while ago with pics showing that he removed the wooden (particle board) ends, removed the tolex, sanded and painted the same color as the original and from his pictures it looks great.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:55 PM

Kudos to Fishman for standing behind their product. I love my Loudbox Mini and Loudbox Artist. Fishman makes superb amps.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 12-18-2021, 11:42 AM

Just stumbled upon this thread……I also have a Loudbox Mini with paper-thin Tolex shredding away. I am inclined to try to recover the Tolex end pieces myself, but it is deeply encouraging to know that Fishman will stand behind their product.

I will add that the ratty-looking Tolex hasn’t really bothered me that much…..perhaps it makes the amp look more “experienced” to my eyes.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread……I also have a Loudbox Mini with paper-thin Tolex shredding away. I am inclined to try to recover the Tolex end pieces myself, but it is deeply encouraging to know that Fishman will stand behind their product.

I will add that the ratty-looking Tolex hasn’t really bothered me that much…..perhaps it makes the amp look more “experienced” to my eyes.
I liked the "experienced" look until I found myself having to vacuum up the little bits 2-3 times a week. When it was left in one place all the time it wasn't an issue but now that I'm taking it back and forth to church, the mess was becoming a pain!

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification