The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2021, 04:20 PM

Default 14-Fret Parlor: Alvarez DELTA00 TSB or PRS P20E?

I really like parlor guitars. Currently, I own a KLŌS carbon fiber travel guitar, a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa, a Gretsch Jim Dandy and a Martin LX1RE. Both my KLŌS and Taylor are 14-fret models. The Martin I just can't bond with, and the Gretsch is a terrific guitar, hampered only by its 12-fret length.

Of the four, the Taylor is probably my go-to guitar. I'm thinking of getting a backup, like a campfire guitar. I got the Gretsch for that purpose, but doggone it, I do play over the full neck.

So, I've noticed the two guitars listed in the subject line. I've never owned an Alvarez or a PRS, although I've heard good things about them. Which would you recommend, and why?
Old 09-19-2021, 11:57 AM

the Alvarez is an exceptional guitar. I owned it, then gave it to my son as a gift. Alvarez are the most underrated guitars IMHO.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

They completely different sizes if that matters. I have 00dlx all solid wood and it great but much bigger and better sound than the prs
Old 09-20-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
They completely different sizes if that matters. I have 00dlx all solid wood and it great but much bigger and better sound than the prs
Completely different sizes? How so? I can't find the overall length of the PRS, but they compare similarly in all other respects. The width is similar, the Alvarez has a bit more body depth, and the PRS is shorter in scale (24.72 vs. 24.80) and narrower at the nut (1.69" vs. 1.75").
Old 09-20-2021, 04:55 PM

Thumbs up Hmmmmmm.....

Delta 00 if you like a bit of a cheeky, slight V neck shape. Mine has a great tone with a solid sitka top and lam hog b/s. A bit larger than a standard L-00(like the Martin CEO-7 is a bit larger than a L-00) with back shifted X-bracing that lends a surprising bit of mid-range volume. A tad thick on the finish-perfect for that travel protection. Good all around strummer and finger picking Alvarez. And for the price........
Old 09-20-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Completely different sizes? How so? I can't find the overall length of the PRS, but they compare similarly in all other respects. The width is similar, the Alvarez has a bit more body depth, and the PRS is shorter in scale (24.72 vs. 24.80) and narrower at the nut (1.69" vs. 1.75").
The Alvarez is basically the same as a Martin 00-18 not really a parlor at all
Old 09-22-2021, 05:27 PM

Adding to the confusion: How does a Breedlove Signature Companion Copper compare? I saw one of these advertised locally (so I'm thinking of checking it out). 17.5" body length, 23.5" scale, 19 frets (14 on the neck). African mahogany with torrified European spruce on the top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion