The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-18-2021, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Default Handy Man (James Taylor version)

This is my cover of the James Taylor version of Handy Man. This song was originally written in 1959 by Jimmy Jones and Otis Taylor. James Taylor covered this song in 1977. I remember the original version of this song when I was just a kid of about 11-12 years old.

I have always appreciated the background vocals on the JT version of this song, and so I added my own background vocals. Other instruments have also been added just for the fun of it.

You may notice that the video does not show any microphones. I experimented on this song with placing them far enough away from my voice and guitar that I could edit them out of the final video. Because the vocal mic is a little far from my voice and located overhead, my voice has a slight treble edge to it that I don't normally hear, but I wanted to see if I could clean up my overall video by getting the mics out of the way. For reference, I used a Warm Audio WA-47 tube LDC mic on my voice, two Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics on my guitar.

Thanks so much for listening.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-18-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

This is my cover of the James Taylor version of Handy Man. This song was originally written in 1959 by Jimmy Jones and Otis Taylor. James Taylor covered this song in 1977. I remember the original version of this song when I was just a kid of about 11-12 years old.

I have always appreciated the background vocals on the JT version of this song, and so I added my own background vocals. Other instruments have also been added just for the fun of it.

I used my Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria on this song. You may notice that the video does not show any microphones. I experimented on this song with placing them far enough away from my voice and guitar that I could edit them out of the final video. Because the vocal mic is a little far from my voice and located overhead, my voice has a slight treble edge to it that I don't normally hear, but I wanted to see if I could clean up my overall video by getting the mics out of the way. For reference, I used a Warm Audio WA-47 tube LDC mic on my voice, two Warm Audio WA-84 SDC mics on my guitar.

Thanks so much for listening.

- Glenn
Glenn, you've done it again! Great Song Rendition & Production! It looks like you really dig those WARM mics and I can hear why you do! Thanks For Sharing!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-18-2021, 04:33 PM

I always thought that JT wrote that song. Wonderful vocals and guitar and another great production. Thanks Glenn for sharing.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 09-18-2021, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Glenn, you've done it again! Great Song Rendition & Production! It looks like you really dig those WARM mics and I can hear why you do! Thanks For Sharing!
Hi SpruceTop!

Thanks for watching and for your comments!

I do like the Warm Audio mics I have. They are good quality and priced competitively to allow me to use first-class recording equipment without breaking the bank.

I hope all is well for you in Rochester!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
I always thought that JT wrote that song. Wonderful vocals and guitar and another great production. Thanks Glenn for sharing.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I can see why you thought James Taylor wrote that song. I think you have to have been born early enough to have heard the original.

JT was born within a week of when I was born in 1948 and so we are the same age. I'm pretty sure he remembers Jimmy Jones singing this song in 1960 or so.

My parents really hated this kind of falsetto singing back then, but I thought it was cool! I'm pretty sure it made an impression on James Taylor, as well.

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment, Mike. Much appreciated!

I hope all is well at your house. Take care!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2021, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Ok Glenn....very well done. The music and the vocals, outstanding.

I'm used to ya with a guitar and vocals into a mike. Now your mixin' and backing yourself up and it sounds real good but I still prefer ya with one guitar and one vocal track.

Everything and everybody advances and improves but at my age I'm begining to go in reverse, the simpler the better. A few years ago tried to buy a pickup truck with crank up windows, 4-5 speed stick shift/clutch and no air conditioning, almost got laughed out of the dealership.

Doesn't matter what I like, you still sound good and I appreciate you posting, thanks.

john
Old 09-18-2021, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnidoh View Post
Ok Glenn....very well done. The music and the vocals, outstanding.

I'm used to ya with a guitar and vocals into a mike. Now your mixin' and backing yourself up and it sounds real good but I still prefer ya with one guitar and one vocal track.

Everything and everybody advances and improves but at my age I'm begining to go in reverse, the simpler the better. A few years ago tried to buy a pickup truck with crank up windows, 4-5 speed stick shift/clutch and no air conditioning, almost got laughed out of the dealership.

Doesn't matter what I like, you still sound good and I appreciate you posting, thanks.

john
Hi John,

Thanks for watching and for your comments. I appreciate your kind comments.

I do agree that many times just one voice and one guitar is just right. And maybe those are the only type of songs I should do. But when the best part of the song to me are the background vocals, how can I resist?

Back in year 2000 the local Ford dealership had a stripped down pickup truck just as you've described, which I purchased new: 4-speed manual stickshift on the floor, bench seats, windup windows, no cruise control, no air-conditioning, just an AM/FM radio and the minimum of safety equipment required. I still have that truck today at 21 years old with less than 23,000 miles on it. I just wanted a utility truck for carrying hay, firewood, going to Home Depot or the dump. I put only about 1100 miles on it every year.

Sometimes I think this truck is perfect. There are fewer things to go wrong. But sometimes I wish it had air-conditioning.

I hope all is well for you John! Be well!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-18-2021 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Glenn you have been killing those harmonies lately Your vocal stylings to end the song were unexpected and are perfect!
Old 09-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Wow, Glenn you have been killing those harmonies lately Your vocal stylings to end the song were unexpected and are perfect!
Thank you Bob,

I appreciate your kind and encouraging comments.

The harmonies that I used for my cover performance are copied from the way James Taylor and his backup singers performed this song. This is why I enjoyed the background vocals so much on the JT version of this song, as I mentioned to John in the response just above. I'm really glad you like this!

For reference, here is a live version of James Taylor with his band performing this song:

Thanks so much Bob!

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you Bob,

I appreciate your kind and encouraging comments.

The harmonies that I used for my cover performance are copied from the way James Taylor and his backup singers performed this song. This is why I enjoyed the background vocals so much on the JT version of this song, as I mentioned to John in the response just above. I'm really glad you like this!

For reference, here is a live version of James Taylor with his band performing this song:

Thanks so much Bob!

- Glenn
That’s a great performance and yours holds up “side by each” as we say around here Thanks, Glenn!
Old 09-18-2021, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That’s a great performance and yours holds up “side by each” as we say around here Thanks, Glenn!
Hi Bob,

I never realized where that "side by each" turn of phrase came from. Is that from New England? How cool! I never knew!

- Glenn
Old 09-19-2021, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Bob,

I never realized where that "side by each" turn of phrase came from. Is that from New England? How cool! I never knew!

- Glenn

Maybe—I first heard it from my father in law who grew up in Rhode Island.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Glenn,

Wow! Its been so many years since I've heard this song. I wasn't sure that I recognized it until you reached that great chorus. Wonderful work on this! I just love your vocal chops. Hope that you are well.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:57 AM

Wow! Great video Glenn - I enjoyed it very much.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 09-19-2021, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Maybe—I first heard it from my father in law who grew up in Rhode Island.
Hi Bob,

Doing a little looking, the Internet suggests that this phrase came from Rhode Island. Fascinating!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell