The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

As soon as I decide it's not working.

They are gone.

Last time I didn't change the strings. I sold the guitar.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

I rarely hate a PB or 80/20 set. But when I do come across a set that: I do not like the feel or don't tune well... they come off within a day.

I do have preferred sets (i.e., D'Addario EJ17, EJ19, EB Earthwood Med-Lights pb and 80/20....

Don't hate Monels but they are not preferred...

EB Aluminum Bronze - tried'em twice - sounded ok.. loud... hated the gritty feel... off they came same day...
Old 09-20-2021, 06:39 AM

I usually try to go a week. Some strings sound quite a bit different with a little time (or make me less nauseous?). I have yet to try a set that I absolutely hated. I probably would not suffer those for very long.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-20-2021, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

As soon as I discovered how slippery Elixirs are, they came off straight away. Really annoying considering the price 😕
Old 09-20-2021, 07:19 AM

I change strings often just out of inexperience (with sound of type/gauge etc) and curiosity- when I started on this path long ago I didn't even know string gauge, never mind make up, existed- lots of time to make up for- though I will say, I do like Martin Monels on both my LAG's, a T70A and a T118ACE and my Martin 00015M- I didn't like them on the Martin 00017, which is what it came with from Martin so I put a set of DR Rare on it - I also like GHS cryogenic strings and John Pearse-
Old 09-20-2021, 08:06 AM

I'm with rlllink in that I don't enjoy string changes and so even if I'm not digging a set of strings they tend to stay on longer than they would if I had a "your wish is my command" guitar tech at my beck and call.

I also dislike the sound of new strings, which makes me less attracted to string changes and also makes me want to wait to see if the new strings settle in. Martin Retro Monel is a common example that need a little playing time to give the sound I want from them, but even the ubiquitous phosphor bronze sets won't give me something I like until they've been played a bit.

And since I have lots of instruments, that "played a bit" interval isn't like it'd be with a person who plays a particular guitar daily.

Besides the "settle in" factor, when trying a set that changes the sound of a guitar, there's my consideration that I may need to learn to appreciate that change in sound or learn how to use the new timbre, because I seek and enjoy variety. Other players have "their sound" and sound preferences and can easily dispense with any explorations like that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-20-2021, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1399 View Post
So, you're trying a new set of strings and you decide within a couple of days that you don't like them. How long do you usually wait before you replace them with another set that you already like?
Hi string1

Unless I have a gig or recording session, I leave em on till they die (lose sustain). If I've 'not-liked' strings it's for minor and picky reasons with tone, not generally playability.

I'm not one to waste $10 or more just because I've heard something I like better.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-20-2021, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi string1

Unless I have a gig or recording session, I leave em on till they die (lose sustain). If I've 'not-liked' strings it's for minor and picky reasons with tone, not generally playability.

I'm not one to waste $10 or more just because I've heard something I like better.
I'm a blend of this and Frank's post just prior. I don't "have a sound" and I have a lot of guitars to rotate and I work 40-60 hours/week. So, once the strings are on, they stay on for quite some time. And as my Mother used to say, half-joking "You'll eat those vegetables and you'll enjoy them". I don't eat my strings but I do learn to just enjoy them.

J

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 09-20-2021, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1399 View Post
So, you're trying a new set of strings and you decide within a couple of days that you don't like them. How long do you usually wait before you replace them with another set that you already like?
I usually know pretty quick, within a few days, unless I'm purposely wanting the "dead" sound. About every 2 yrs. I'll order several sets of strings and run them for a few days each. Most of the time I stick with what I've always liked, but sometimes I find something new I enjoy!
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Definitely give em a few days. Some strings like Retros , take at least a day or two or three to mellow out and then they're great. I was really disappointed with Retros the first time I put them on my GPC-15. Came back a few days later and they were completely different and they've been on it for a few months now and still sound good.

The only string type I've had issues with were 80/20. The few times I've tried them (usually on Martin type guitars) I couldn't stand them and took them off the same day. Maybe they mellow out after a few days but I didn't wait around.

I just tried 85/15 lights vintage bronze from GHS on the suggestion of another member and they are pretty good and cheap (on a D-18)!
Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalliamsayn View Post
IMO this is especially true with monels, which can sound brash and metallic for a week OR MORE before settling in on that sweet, woody tone that I can’t get enough of.
Sounds like I need to try the Monels again -- after 3 days the metallic tone you mention drove me to remove them.

I have one more set, though, that I can try on my Mahogany GS.

Thanks for this comment.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:50 AM

My Taylor came with Elixirs that came off as soon as I got the guitar home. However, I don't think I've ever installed strings that I disliked so much that I couldn't leave them on for a week.

Monels definitely need a week to find their groove.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

If I decide I don't like them they come off. IMO life is too short to spend time playing a guitar you're not enjoying (especially just because of the strings).
Old 09-28-2021, 01:47 PM

I suffered with monels for a month before taking them off, I kept waiting for them to sound good, I heard so many people say give it a couple weeks or so. Then I suffered through them for a month yet again with a different guitar. Swore them off forever, now like a dog going back to its vomit I have another pack and am going to try again and probably suffer for another month again lol
Old 09-30-2021, 06:03 AM

Default A voice of inexperience

As I've previously said; I change strings out of curiosity and inexperience- at the same time I'm looking for a clean sound. By that I mean, as a poster in a different thread said a few weeks back when I tried to describe what I strive for, the PB's produce more overtones than Monel- overtones to me, distract from the sound of the simple, which is a creed I live by.

There is more to it though than simply the strings. My Martin 00015M came with PB's and I put Monels on it and love it. The Martin 00017 came with Monel strings and I put PB's on it. I bought the 00017 because I wanted to experience the Martin mystique, if you will, with Spruce, because I really liked the mahogany Martin 00015M.

Now, my LAG T118 ACE is cedar- I love the Monel strings on it. My LAGT70A is spruce and I love the Monel strings on it I've not experienced a time lag in the difference in the sound. They gave me what I wanted as soon as I got it in tune and still do even on the Martin 00015M- and I beat the stuffin out of them on a couple of songs I do- I even tune them down and beat them even harder- they're hanging in- I go back to standard tuning and voila! what I like there too.

Inexperience can be a wonderful thang!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion