The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-15-2021, 12:24 PM

Default Any Mando owners using Arm Rests and Tone Guards?

I just received an Eastman 305 and noticed loosing tone when the back touches my mid section, and same with my forearm on the top. Can you have both Tone Guard and Arm Rest? Also, what brands did you choose? In the past I had an Eastman 515 that I never noticed loosing so much of the tone. Thanks, Frank
Old 09-15-2021, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I use both. Toneguard is because I don't want to think about holding the mandolin away from my body, and the armrest for comfort and arm angle. I make my own from some mahogany 1x2 I have laying around and viola chin rest hardware I got at a local violin shop, along with a bit of cork.

Any of the armrest makers are fine, just decide on the length as some make longer rests. Cumberland Acoustics is just one of many providers. Toneguard is just toneguard. No choice there, though there are two or three designs.

If you have a mandolin without back binding, a toneguard will protect the back edges from chipping.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-15-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Hi don't use a toneguard, because I don't I don't hold mando that close to my body.

I DO use an armrest because I found the the edge dug into me arm.
I'm in the UK, but got a beautiful one made in ebony by a guy in Texas who says he makes 'em by hand. secured by the same clamp as used on violins.

He makes them in different woods - and offers inlaid versions too. Mine is plain.

No gluing or adhesive -no marking of body.

Job done.

edit : I think it was from McClung.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LEBEDA F-5.jpg (22.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

I have both on my mandolin. Really like the armrest. I doubt the TG is making a big difference while seated for me, but it seems pretty common. Actually helps balance the weight a bit standing so I like that.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:17 AM

Another vote for the McClung armrests - I've used them for years. Not all armrests are the same - I bought a mandolin once that arrived with a different type of armrest, smaller footprint to it and very flat on the surface that contacts your forearm, tried playing with it on for awhile but ended up swapping it out for a spare McClung I had lying around, which was much more comfortable.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I have two Eastmans mandolins - MD305 and MD314

I use both: a Tone-gard and a Dr. Arm for mandolin on each mando.

Big difference when playing while standing.

The Tone-gard not only keeps the back away from my body but it helps balance/stabilize the position of the instrument.

The Dr. Arm definitely saves the forearm (comfortably anchored).

Last edited by FingahPickah; 09-22-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I use a Tone Gard on my mandolin and have considered an arm rest, just haven't gotten around to it. The Tone Gard is a great addition. As a bonus, since I hand the mandolin on my mic stand, the Tone Gard protects that back from banging into the stand!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi don't use a toneguard, because I don't I don't hold mando that close to my body.

I DO use an armrest because I found the the edge dug into me arm.
I'm in the UK, but got a beautiful one made in ebony by a guy in Texas who says he makes 'em by hand. secured by the same clamp as used on violins.

He makes them in different woods - and offers inlaid versions too. Mine is plain.

No gluing or adhesive -no marking of body.

Job done.

edit : I think it was from McClung.
McClung rests are from TX. It's what I have.

Just a FYI/PSA, those clamps do tend to leave an imprint after some time on the mandolin. It depends on the kind of finish, and possibly its age when the rest is first put on, but I expect I'll see one on the varnish finish on mine. (There's an obvious mark on the other side of the bridge where a "carpenter jack" was on for the Radius pickup that the previous owner had on. Compared to the gouge in the top he made with his picking, it's practically invisible )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7228.jpg (33.7 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by keith.rogers; 09-16-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm just curious as to how the fit is supposed to be on the armrests? I have one that came with my Northfield Big Mon that I bought used, I have no idea what brand armrest it is, it has a strip of cork on the bottom of the armrest that covers the outer bottom 1/2 portion. When I put it on my Big Mon and even my NF5S Northfield (which isn't quite as deep) only half of the cork strip sits on the top of the mandolin and the rest of the armrest is off of the top of the mandolin by about 2/16th's of and inch. Is that normal or should the armrest, at least the cork strip that I'm assuming is there to protect the mandolin, sit flush against the mandolin?

thanks,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 09-16-2021, 12:57 PM

I don't own either a tone-gard or an arm rest. It's not because I am against using them. It's just that with my playing style, I haven't found a need for either one.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
I just received an Eastman 305 and noticed loosing tone when the back touches my mid section, and same with my forearm on the top. Can you have both Tone Guard and Arm Rest? Also, what brands did you choose? In the past I had an Eastman 515 that I never noticed loosing so much of the tone. Thanks, Frank

How new is your 305?

Eastman recently replaced nitro with a poly finish that may effect the tone.

https://www.eastmanguitarfans.com/Thread-Nitro-finish
Old 09-16-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
I'm just curious as to how the fit is supposed to be on the armrests? I have one that came with my Northfield Big Mon that I bought used, I have no idea what brand armrest it is, it has a strip of cork on the bottom of the armrest that covers the outer bottom 1/2 portion. When I put it on my Big Mon and even my NF5S Northfield (which isn't quite as deep) only half of the cork strip sits on the top of the mandolin and the rest of the armrest is off of the top of the mandolin by about 2/16th's of and inch. Is that normal or should the armrest, at least the cork strip that I'm assuming is there to protect the mandolin, sit flush against the mandolin?
It doesn't sound right, though I may be misunderstanding. The bottom edge of the armrest should be shaped so only the outside edge, with cork or some kind of protective material, is going to be in contact with the top, directly over the side for support. The clamps should allow it to be positioned so it doesn't hang over the side/top-edge-binding. I attached pics of the McClung on my Eastman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7233.jpg (26.4 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7236.jpg (24.6 KB, 112 views)
Old 09-16-2021, 03:30 PM

Yes I use both devices. Another thumbs up for McClungs.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I want to be clear to those who may want to DIY, the hardware for violin chin rests WILL NOT WORK. You need hardware for a VIOLA.

You want to have just the edge of the mandolin touching the bottom of the rest hanging over the soundboard for the most part. You will generally have some cork not touching the mandolin's top. Check for daylight between the rest and top plate as they can slip. If they touch too much top, they dampen sound.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-17-2021, 02:16 PM

I play a Collings MT2 with both a McClung arm rest and a tone guard. I notice a difference if I remove the tone guard. I'm a fan of McClungs, and the owner of Hill Country String Works is a great guy to work with. If you find that you need something else than what you initially ordered, he will work with you to get what you need. I have made 2 of my own arm rests as close as I could get to a McClung. Yes, you must order a viola arm rest bracket to have enough height on the mandolin. You will have to measure your instrument's depth to know if you need the one that is a bitter deeper.

I use a piece of leather between the hardware and the side of my mandolin to be sure there is no way it could scratch the finish--perhaps overkill, but it works for me. I have had no problem with marking the finish top or bottom. You just can't crank down the tighness on the arm rest when you install it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments