The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Breedlove Question for the Members Here

Hello folks,

My upgrade to my "Guitarsenal" is soon to be a reality by week's end (at least paid for and awaiting shipment).

My question is about the "laminate" that Breedlove uses on their lower end models. I appended what the Breedlove folks wrote below. I am always cautious as I work with Scientists and Engineers during my day job. I can make a poop covered lollipop make you want to buy one now with words.

""Most of todayís guitar manufacturers use a 3-ply laminate or layer system for their more affordable models. The structure most often has two tonewood outer plies laminated over with an inexpensive softwood core. While this construction method cuts costs and delivers a solid acoustic guitar to the customer, a softwood core can stifle extra resonance and lessen the overall tonality. Thatís where Breedloveís EcoTonewood is different. By using African mahogany as the inner ply, the guitar can live up to its true potential with a vibrant, full-bodied tone.""

Have any of you own/ed played this "EcoTonewood" before? Thoughts?

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR
Old 09-14-2021, 08:11 PM

No but itís my understanding that Godin (Seagull, Norman, La Patrie) has been doing that for years with great success. I own one of their classicals with layered cherry and a solid cedar top that sounds excellent for the money. Iím also a Breedlove fan (own an all solid USA model). Iíd be willing to try the ones you referred to with reasonable expectations. But Iíd still pass on the lollipop.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

..... But Iíd still pass on the lollipop.[/QUOTE]

All my Lollipop's bring the girls to the yard! Lol.

I am going to pull the trigger on the $700.00 Breedlove Concertina Style. I want a 12 Fret for the Guitarsenal, and this bodystyle is the only one in their lineup. It also has the squared headstock.

It is the Tigereye, solid Myrtlewood Top. B=EAT=tiful piece of work for under 7 hundred.

2020 Martin GPC-15ME Streetmaster

2021 Eastman AC622CE

1995 Larrivee Jumbo (J-19) with lots of custom blingwork, Sitka over EIR

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion