The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2021, 07:10 AM

Default Da Capo 75

I can't find if the DI outs on the Da Capo 75 are pre or post eq or if they are switchable like the AER Compact 60/4 TE version. I would assume that they are at least switchable if TE now uses this amp instead of the amp named after him.?? Emailed the company a while ago...no response as of yet. Thnx for any insight. (Feel free to add any comparisons between the two amps if anyone has gigged with both units.)
Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Da Capo 75

I’ve read in a review, that it is selectable via dip switches under rear cover
Old 09-08-2021, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Where did you get it? Bill at Artisan Guitars told me more than I wanted to know, based on many repeat customers of both AER then Udo amps. Lots of great A/B comparisons.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-08-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Where did you get it? Bill at Artisan Guitars told me more than I wanted to know, based on many repeat customers of both AER then Udo amps. Lots of great A/B comparisons.
I am researching...I have not purchased one. I actually saw Artisan had one for sale and inquired about the DI's...have not heard back as of yet.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I am researching...I have not purchased one. I actually saw Artisan had one for sale and inquired about the DI's...have not heard back as of yet.
Might try calling. Bill was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-09-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Might try calling. Bill was extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
A gentleman named Joe did return my message (within a few hours, impressive). For anyone else wondering, the DI outs can be switched, via internal dipswitches) to be post eq, but are shipped pre eq. I really like that the Mesa Rosette amps have a little switch right on the back of the amp that allows for quick pre/post changes. Off topic alert...but the Rosette, on paper, is the ideal amp as far as features that I use...but the tone never resonated with me.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
A gentleman named Joe did return my message (within a few hours, impressive). For anyone else wondering, the DI outs can be switched, via internal dipswitches) to be post eq, but are shipped pre eq. I really like that the Mesa Rosette amps have a little switch right on the back of the amp that allows for quick pre/post changes. Off topic alert...but the Rosette, on paper, is the ideal amp as far as features that I use...but the tone never resonated with me.
That echoes my experience of the Rosette pretty much exactly. Reads better than it sounds…beautifully built and specced though. The one I had couldn’t cope with my vocal, so went back. I wanted to love it, but couldn’t.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I see that the Pre/Post Eq is configurable, but I do not see any
provision for a 'Mix' DI out. Am I missing something? I would like
to be able to run a single mixed/EQ'ed DI out to my K8.2 when needed.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I see that the Pre/Post Eq is configurable, but I do not see any
provision for a 'Mix' DI out. Am I missing something? I would like
to be able to run a single mixed/EQ'ed DI out to my K8.2 when needed.
If you Google the manual, go to page 12...di outs and dipswitches are covered there. Looks easy enough to switch; however, I had the techs at Artisan switch both di outs to post eq/effects to avoid any warranty issues. Line 1 and 2 out are both channels I think?? Not sure about DI 1 and 2...
Old 09-17-2021, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Thanks wm, that is where I am looking. I see JP9 & jp10 control pre vs
post EQ, but I see no way to get a mix of both. I was looking forward to
hear your thoughts on the Da Capo 75 vs Genzler Array, but now have
kind of lost interest in the DC75. Oh Well. Am I missing something?
Would a y-adapter work to combine the 2?
Old 09-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks wm, that is where I am looking. I see JP9 & jp10 control pre vs
post EQ, but I see no way to get a mix of both. I was looking forward to
hear your thoughts on the Da Capo 75 vs Genzler Array, but now have
kind of lost interest in the DC75. Oh Well. Am I missing something?
Would a y-adapter work to combine the 2?
I'm still sold completely on the Genzler...my style of music is folk rockish and the Genzler handles the heavy strumming far better than everything I've played through....doesn't get harsh as the band gets louder. The DC75 decision was based on me a/b-ing the Genzler against a used Compact 60/2....the 60/sounded every bit as good as the Genzler in mids and highs but I wanted the bass and functionality of the Genzler. I kept playing through the 60/2 every time I went to Buck's (local guitar store) and it really grew on me...super light and beautiful tone! When I read about the slightly larger, ported cab (more bass response) and the 2 DI pre/Post effects of the DC75 I thought about it and placed an order....obviously not a broke college kid anymore and not afraid to wheel and deal the gear I decide not to use. Whatever I decide, the Genzler is special. I DI out (post) to anything and sound good through any house set up anywhere. (I do have a "bag of tricks" pedal board..but everyone should imo). I'm fairly confident the DC75 will be a great amp for me for guitar, I am mostly nervous about how vocals will sound and that is where I feel like I am taking a chance. Imperative they sound good. The Dc75 arrives tomorrow and I'll post my opinion after the honeymoon, few band practices and a gig or two, period.

Last edited by willymartin; 09-18-2021 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

willymartin, I am anxiously waiting for your thoughts on the DC75....
een if just first impressions. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
willymartin, I am anxiously waiting for your thoughts on the DC75....
een if just first impressions. Thanks.
I really hate to give a negative review on such a highly touted piece of gear... Tangent...A buddy of mine's band was once doing a show and they were playing through the house PA which were two Bose L1M2B2 units. They are a big, heavy folk rock band and the Bose sounded fine (little thin) in the audience but they hated it.... I went into the green room during a set break and their irate lead guitar player angrily said "the only reason people like those Bose sticks are because they paid so much money for them!" I owned an l1m2 and disagreed with him...I think they are great if they are used properly and what they were designed for.

Anyway... Sorry... obviously I am not instantly in love with the dc75....my initial thoughts were...it sounded very similarl to when you plug an acoustic straight into a good PA speaker without messing with much eq, a little boxy and harsh... I've already given the unit many hours of time, depressing the "tone" knob for the first time last night has peaked my interest and provided some enthusiasm for tonight's practice. Vocals sound very similar to any time I have tried to sing through an amp better than many but not nearly as good as the Genzler or S1pro. I knew before my purchase that this unit is touted for its clean, uncolored tone...the purists amp. Well, I am no purist but have already decided to keep past any return period and get used to it/color it until I'm happy because of its perfect size and because, well, "I paid so much for it." 😉 (I need to unplug the unit from the AB box and stop comparing it to the Genzler and give it more alone time..)
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the update. It would have been nice to swap a 27 lb amp for
a 17 lb amp, but it does not sound like that's gonna happen. Too bad.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 AM

It may be the case that you just need to get my head around how flat and balanced the DC75 is. I know when I started using AER amps my initial response was “where is all the bass that I was getting with my Alto 800w 12” cabs?”, but then started listening more to my guitar in a room Vs my guitar through the Compact 60/4 and realised that it just replicates the sound of an acoustic guitar, which of course doesn’t have all the bass hype and boom/woof that a 12” top offers.

I’ve had the pleasure of listening to a couple of friends do guest spots at my shows using my Sunrise equipped SJ200 through my C60/4 and the out front tone is incredibly natural and musical. That balanced, flat response takes some head recalibration though after going through big rigs for years, and I’m sure the DC75 is similar.

Vocal wise, my C60/4 is a perfect match for my voice and I prefer singing through it to anything else I’ve tried in 3500+ shows and 23yrs on the road. I can see how it may not suit singers with a different timbre, though. I’m intrigued to hear how the DC75 fares for vocals.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification