The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2021, 12:37 PM

I'm liking the Ultratonic pickup by James May Engineering . . . similar to the K&K (though now they use a strip instead of three discs), but they add an extra (larger) disc that helps to reduce feedback (by selecting one of 12 dip switches at the jack end of the pickup).
Old 09-12-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The HFN would still be in my guitar if I could get it balanced correctly. That's the main complaint with the HFN.. it's very difficult to get the low and high E as loud as the middle strings. I think that's where the K&K, Dazzo, Trance etc have an advantage. Having 2 or 3 piezo pickups stuck to the bridgeplate allows for a perfect balance. The HFN being an all in one unit, struggles sometimes as the bridgeplate is not always perfectly level.
I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than I with the HFN, but I've heard word that Schatten suggests eliminating adhesive material (either tape or putty) from the middle leg to help with this imbalance. Have you tried this solution, and what was the outcome?

Selfishly asking in case this happens to me.
2021 Iris DF Burst
2021 Taylor Big Baby
Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin P90
Seagull Walnut 12 EQ
Eastman MD505 Mandolin
Old 09-12-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pen View Post
I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than I with the HFN, but I've heard word that Schatten suggests eliminating adhesive material (either tape or putty) from the middle leg to help with this imbalance. Have you tried this solution, and what was the outcome?

Selfishly asking in case this happens to me.
I did and unfortunately, it was the same result. I mean give it a try because every guitar is different, it's just something to be aware of. I had one install that sounded so good but the low E was just distant.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
I'm liking the Ultratonic pickup by James May Engineering . . . similar to the K&K (though now they use a strip instead of three discs), but they add an extra (larger) disc that helps to reduce feedback (by selecting one of 12 dip switches at the jack end of the pickup).
I think that strip still has the equivalent of the three discs in it, but James had it specially engineered into a single unit for ease of installation. You only have to get it roughly centered under the saddle, and the extra bass disc is far less critical in its installation need/location -
Old 09-13-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I think that strip still has the equivalent of the three discs in it, but James had it specially engineered into a single unit for ease of installation. You only have to get it roughly centered under the saddle, and the extra bass disc is far less critical in its installation need/location -
I converted 1 of my K&K equipped guitars recently with the Ultra Tonic kit. I had a really good guitar tech put it in & I did the dip switch thing myself after. The Ultra Tonic gave the already good K&K much better string-to-string balance & totally eliminated any tendency to feedback. I had used a soundhole cover to get rid of feedback before in both of my K&K equipped guitars but don't need it anymore for the Ultra Tonic guitar.

I have 1 more K&K equipped guitar that I think I'll do the conversion myself on, & if that goes well (I suspect it will :-), then I have another without any pickup that I will probably put an Ultra Tonic in. I'm not a pro tech but I do have some experience having worked with Dave Enke early on his early designed PUTW SBT systems. After getting a new, small mirror to do the dip-switch endpin jack on the first conversion, it looked much more straightforward an install than I originally thought.

All-in-all, though, I really like the amplified sound of the Ultra Tonic. While I'm happy with it through my Fishman ToneDEQ, I am thinking about moving to a ToneDexter. We'll see . . .

Frank
Old 09-14-2021, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
After getting a new, small mirror to do the dip-switch endpin jack on the first conversion, it looked much more straightforward an install than I originally thought.

All-in-all, though, I really like the amplified sound of the Ultra Tonic. While I'm happy with it through my Fishman ToneDEQ, I am thinking about moving to a ToneDexter. We'll see . . .

Frank
Wow - I can’t imagine trying to get down into my guitar to make those adjustments with a mirror. I tape the top of my guitar for protection, then tape the end jack unit to that, and make all the adjustments outside my guitar. Took a bit of time (1/2 hr?) to find the setting that worked best, but then I put it all back inside, locked it down, and haven’t had to touch it since. It just works, and I find myself wanting to replace every pickup I have - except maybe the Soloist -

The Tonedexter really works fantastic, and is a fun addition, but in my band I’m the only “acoustic” instrument (except on the rare occasions the bass player pulls out his upright) and the tone of UltraTonic is more than good enough by a long shot. But playing solo, the ability to really dial in a fantastic acoustic tone with the Tonedexter is very appreciated, even if its mostly just me that really appreciates it -
Old 09-16-2021, 11:39 AM

There are a lot of pickups that offer additional features beyond what the K&K offers. But, for simplicity and good tone, it's pretty hard to beat a basic battery free $99 K&K. I've tired most of what's available on the market and they all have some benefits and drawbacks. My preference is for passive (battery free) soundboard transducers. If you're looking for a passive pickup with more high frequency reproduction than a K&K offers, consider the Dazzo or Schatten HFN. If you want a SBT with more feedback rejection, try the JME UltraTonic. If you're looking for active solution those options all have active preamps to be paired with, plus Trance Amulet. If you're looking for high volume stage applications consider a product like Fishman Matrix/Aura or LR Baggs Anthem.
Old 09-17-2021, 07:24 PM

There is NOT a best and there are NONE that will sound like your guitar . There is NOT a Shure SM58 or 57 of acoustic guitar pickups out there . I do NOT like any of them . All of them are just OK . K&K pure mini is just OK , they are all vanilla there is no chocolate there is no strawberry or cookie dough . They are all vanilla , some are vanilla bean some are yellowey vanilla extract ...... You have to fix it with a preamp , eq , reverb , IR pedal (Tone Dexter or Amp cab sim pedal ) all they are all just OK really they all SUCK but I'm trying to be as nice as possible ....
Old 09-18-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Wow - I can’t imagine trying to get down into my guitar to make those adjustments with a mirror. I tape the top of my guitar for protection, then tape the end jack unit to that, and make all the adjustments outside my guitar. Took a bit of time (1/2 hr?) to find the setting that worked best, but then I put it all back inside, locked it down, and haven’t had to touch it since. It just works, and I find myself wanting to replace every pickup I have - except maybe the Soloist -

The Tonedexter really works fantastic, and is a fun addition, but in my band I’m the only “acoustic” instrument (except on the rare occasions the bass player pulls out his upright) and the tone of UltraTonic is more than good enough by a long shot. But playing solo, the ability to really dial in a fantastic acoustic tone with the Tonedexter is very appreciated, even if its mostly just me that really appreciates it -
Ha! No, I don't try to adjust the dip switches inside the guitar. I got the mirror to help get the endpin jack out of the guitar & adjusted it just as you did. I'm also getting ready to convert my other guitar to a K&K/Ultra Tonic & will need it for that. If all goes well with that conversion, I think I'll do the straight Ultra Tonic on a 3rd.

Thanks for the info on the ToneDexter. I agree that the Ultra Tonic works well with the band. Not doing any solo right now so maybe I will put off getting a ToneDexter for a while & work on getting the ToneDEQ/Ultra Tonic combo tweaked a bit better.

Take care,

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification