The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 09-03-2021, 09:18 AM

There’s some good new country out there but you won’t find it on commercial radio. Troubadours aren’t commercially popular anymore.

I don’t buy the whole people like only outlaw or neotraditonal and western style country. My two all time favorites are Garth and Waylon and they are complete opposite ends of those two styles. I’m just as likely to listen to Randall King as I am Cody Jinks or Chris Ledoux and Vern Gosdin and so on. Good country is good country regardless of the particular style as long as it’s real and authentic and not the commercialized pop formula.
Old 09-03-2021, 09:23 AM

Hey now, I drive a Super Duty and wear a ball cap or cowboy hat if I’m out of the house. BUT, I farm and have horses and I CAN’T STAND 99% of the music that Corporate Nashville puts out. Clay Walker(who was one of my favorite artists in the 90’s) debuted his new album on the radio a couple of Sunday’s ago. He was talking about not liking the current stuff that’s put out and how he was going to put out stuff that his old fans would like. As soon as they started his new song, it had the “required” beat mix in it and he was rap-phrasing his lyrics. I turned it and the first thing that came to my mind was “sellout”!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-03-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Hey now, I drive a Super Duty and wear a ball cap or cowboy hat if I’m out of the house. BUT, I farm and have horses and I CAN’T STAND 99% of the music that Corporate Nashville puts out.
I think you and I would get along.
Ton super duty, farm, cows not horses, 5 hours east but still in TN.

As far as country music, the classic country station is the only one programmed in the truck. And their selection is limited as well.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
I think you and I would get along.
Ton super duty, farm, cows not horses, 5 hours east but still in TN.

As far as country music, the classic country station is the only one programmed in the truck. And their selection is limited as well.

What part of Tennessee? You’ve got to be right up in the tri-cities area, which in my opinion, is the most beautiful part of our state. We have horses and cows too and a few chickens. My truck radio stays on Amazon Music through my phone and that’s my favorite music platform to use. It never ventures far away from the classic stuff unless it’s a contemporary Christian song I’ve got to play or sing at church. I put a playlist together of country songs from the 90’s, Waylon, Buck, Merle, CoJo, Randall King and Aaron Watson, which was our band’s setlist for an upcoming Gig and that’s all my kids, ages 11-14 want to listen to. It makes me proud when Joe Diffie, Travis Tritt or Wade Hayes songs come on and they’re singing every word to them and it’s their favorite songs.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
don't fool yourself, they are acutely award of the demographics of their target radio audience
Right on the money what KevWind says.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey now, I drive a Super Duty and wear a ball cap or cowboy hat if I’m out of the house. BUT, I farm and have horses and I CAN’T STAND 99% of the music that Corporate Nashville puts out.
Well in full disclosure
Dodge RAM 2500 diesel
Don't farm, but do have horses, yet more likely now days to be wearing Keens than boots

But still have a couple 10 X Stetsons

But hey back in the day those are 17" Tony Lama's under the hunter orange gators

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 03:04 PM

Default Country Music Radio

Quote:
Well in full disclosure
Dodge RAM 2500 diesel
Don't farm, but do have horses, yet more likely now days to be wearing Keens than boots

But hey back in the day those are 17" Tony Lama's under the hunter orange gators

You are spot on about them knowing their target audience. Today’s mainstream music is too shallow for me! Can’t be hard to be a Nashville songwriter these days, because the subject matter is really small!LOL

Nice horse! Buckskins and duns are my favorite colors! We have a palomino mare with a little dun in her. Trying to figure out if I’m wanting to breed her to one of our friend’s gray stud who is KILLER looking! I can’t Imagine what color they’d throw.

Here’s our mare

Here’s her stud

Here’s me and my little man at his roping lesson.

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 09-03-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
You are spot on about them knowing their target audience. Today’s mainstream music is too shallow for me! Can’t be hard to be a Nashville songwriter these days, because the subject matter is really small!LOL

Nice horse! Buckskins and duns are my favorite colors! We have a palomino mare with a little dun in her. Trying to figure out if I’m wanting to breed her to one of our friend’s gray stud who is KILLER looking! I can’t Imagine what color they’d throw.

Here’s our mare

Here’s her stud

Here’s me and my little man at his roping lesson.
It would be a *pretty* color-
Old 09-03-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
What part of Tennessee? You’ve got to be right up in the tri-cities area, which in my opinion, is the most beautiful part of our state. We have horses and cows too and a few chickens. My truck radio stays on Amazon Music through my phone and that’s my favorite music platform to use. It never ventures far away from the classic stuff unless it’s a contemporary Christian song I’ve got to play or sing at church. I put a playlist together of country songs from the 90’s, Waylon, Buck, Merle, CoJo, Randall King and Aaron Watson, which was our band’s setlist for an upcoming Gig and that’s all my kids, ages 11-14 want to listen to. It makes me proud when Joe Diffie, Travis Tritt or Wade Hayes songs come on and they’re singing every word to them and it’s their favorite songs.
Pretty close - go to the TriCities and head up the mountain a ways.
Last county in TN.
We claim Mountain City, TN when asked but the farm is out in the country of course. No horses but a few cows, couple pigs, chickens, dogs, cats.....

Never tried Amazon Music - do use Pandora some, but it gets repetitive too.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Well in full disclosure
Dodge RAM 2500 diesel

Dang good looking hat there. I'm a Tilley hat fan myself for around the farm.
Old 09-03-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I would add :: The target audience are in large part pickup driving, boot and hat wearing, wanna-bee's , that want easy, comfortable, tedious, rehashes of beer swilling tailgate party , honkey tonk , my gal left me, wave the flag songs .
I stopped listening to country music about in the mid to late 90s. I used to listen to country music in the 80s and early 90s. I loved artists like George Strait, Randy Travis, Clint Black, Kathy Mattea, Hal Ketchum, David Mallet, Dan Seals, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Rodney Crowell Michael Johnson and more...Oh, I'm also a big Glenn Campbell fan and a huge John Denver fan...but John wasn't a country artist but that's another topic.

But in the late 90s came the macho country boys like Toby Keith and Montgomery Gentry (I really couldn't stand them) and Big & Rich. A major turn off for me. That's when many of the types of song you describe became popular within the genre. I guess I was no longer the demographic country music was aiming for. I couldn't relate to the new style of music.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Dang good looking hat there. I'm a Tilley hat fan myself for around the farm.
A Tilly is also my wife's favorite for around the ranch
I have Tilley I use for the Tropics when fishing or diving or a ball cap and buff .

I wear hats outside virtually all the time
Most often it's ball cap when running the skid steer or tractor and the truck or car
If I am going to be out in sun a lot it's a downturned brimmed straw cowboy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 09-03-2021, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Here’s our mare
Well you never know but a light Grulla or Palomino Roan would be pretty

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-04-2021, 08:55 AM

I happen to like current country radio.
And I don't wear a cowboy hat or drive a truck and I'm not a wanna-be don't act in any way like has been described above.

I just like the music.

So there.

PJ
Old 09-04-2021, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
I happen to like current country radio.
And I don't wear a cowboy hat or drive a truck and I'm not a wanna-be don't act in any way like has been described above.

I just like the music.

So there.

PJ
Perfectly valid personal preference, but personal preferences in music is not what the OP was about, it was about the current business practices and it's influences on country music radio.
Hate to tell ya, but you ain't the target market demographic, I guess you could say you are more like collateral fannage . ---So there,,,,

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN