The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-30-2021, 02:25 PM

Smile Journey OF660 with Hyvibe install

Thought I would share

Tired of hauling the tonewood (and it don't work so good for CF) so decided to get the hyvibe
You might ask why its reversed....well it only fits in a very certain spot with the curves and the cable install to the unit was a NIGHTMARE with the off to the side sound hole and it facing the "normal" way.....in the end I actually prefer it like this as its more natural with tilting my head to see it.

The acctuator install is a little tricky because inside there are all these "spikes" on certain parts of the soundboard unfortunately but I got it as close to the bridge as I could.

Overall very happy!
Old 08-30-2021, 02:36 PM

moar pics!
See the tricky part with the cables...having the connectors not so **** close to the install edge would have been nice lol
Old 08-30-2021, 02:44 PM
Guest 928

Gearhound;

That's very interesting. I've liked the Journey CF offerings but have always felt the company short-changes itself with its limited electronics. You've demonstrated one alternate possibility, it seems like there should be a number of possibilities available with special orders.

And, are you happy with the sound?
Old 08-30-2021, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Gearhound;

That's very interesting. I've liked the Journey CF offerings but have always felt the company short-changes itself with its limited electronics. You've demonstrated one alternate possibility, it seems like there should be a number of possibilities available with special orders.

And, are you happy with the sound?
Hi Evan,
I always found the tonewood wasn't the best for the CF and you could have a little bit "underwater" sound sometimes. This isn't the cleanest sound but for me its more for backpacking/hostel enviroment etc (which pretty much is over now anyway with COVID ) but I'm pretty happy with the extra vol/effects and onboard tuner!

One thing I will note for anyone considering it is the bridge saddle is quite shallow sitting in the slot when the pickup is installed...I did have a little string balance issue at first but used a little cell tape now no issue.

It was quite an install mainly due to not having a place to do it! I tried at the back of my apartment block but cutting and drilling the CF was quite loud so I went down the carpark

I looked like something out of mad max with a mask/gloves etc cutting into this thing
Old 08-30-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
It was quite an install mainly due to not having a place to do it! I tried at the back of my apartment block but cutting and drilling the CF was quite loud so I went down the carpark

I looked like something out of mad max with a mask/gloves etc cutting into this thing
LOL- I like your description of wrecking the CF. You are a madman for taking on such a task indeed. It looks really good!

I'm curious what that set up sounds like though- can you post a video maybe?

Oh, and you meant "parking lot" right
Old 08-30-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. I have a Journey RT660 that I quite like except that it is on the quiet side.

I have a Tonewood on it which helps some but as you mention has some limitations.

How is the acoustic volume increase in the guitar vs the Tonewood?
Old 08-30-2021, 05:08 PM
Guest 928

A Barbera or K&K pickup would avoid the problem of a saddle pickup. Those are not offered by Journey and I was hesitant to do the install myself.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:00 AM

Alistair mentioned in a video that he was considering an HyVibe option for the Emerald 3D builder. I hope he will have some demos once that happens.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 08-31-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
LOL- I like your description of wrecking the CF. You are a madman for taking on such a task indeed. It looks really good!

I'm curious what that set up sounds like though- can you post a video maybe?

Oh, and you meant "parking lot" right
sorry yes a parking lot! It doesn't help its a few blocks from the police station and there are unsavory types around the area....one random guy pulled over
and asked what I was doing and when he saw the guitar he knew lol

I'll see if I can upload a vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Very cool. I have a Journey RT660 that I quite like except that it is on the quiet side.

I have a Tonewood on it which helps some but as you mention has some limitations.

How is the acoustic volume increase in the guitar vs the Tonewood?
I think its very close if not louder with the tonewood, another thing is if you really boost the gain it almost becomes this wild electric/acoustic hybrid and you can get a almost controlled feedback off it......its a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Alistair mentioned in a video that he was considering an HyVibe option for the Emerald 3D builder. I hope he will have some demos once that happens.
Thats a pro and con about Emerald....they do some really cool updates but it sucks if you were an early buyer! I would have loved a pinless bridge in my chimaera ...I also updated the pickup system as I found the b-band was noisy as hell
Old 03-20-2022, 07:52 AM

Question

interesting thing, i consider to install the hyvibe sstem in my of660 too.
What you did with the original pickup? are you still pleased with the result after this longer period?
I see you are using power pins. do the strings dont falling off when the neck is removed?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber