The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-28-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Good classical guitar under $500

Looking for a classical guitar to buy under $500, suggestions welcome. Not for a beginner as i've been playing guitar and fingerstyle acoustic for years. Been looking mostly on Reverb. Thanks
Old 08-28-2021, 11:45 AM
Guest 928

It sounds as though you know what you are doing and what you like. Reverb and the classifieds on this forum are good sources of used instruments. The only problem I can foresee is how to chose from all the available options. Enjoy the search.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:16 PM

I was focusing on Cordoba lineup when I was looking, but I ran across a 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa for a little over $500. Above your budget, but I'm sure you can find a nice used Cordoba for under $500 if you are patient. I was focusing on the C9 because it was all solid woods.

Good luck!
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-28-2021, 03:35 PM

Warner, welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post even though you've been a member for 3 1/2 years.

Have you considered a La Patrie? It's one of the Godin brand of guitars made in Canada (along with Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie).

Here's the website. It looks like the La Patrie brand may be rebranded as Godin now.
https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...coustics/nylon
Old 08-28-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Warner, welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post even though you've been a member for 3 1/2 years.

Have you considered a La Patrie? It's one of the Godin brand of guitars made in Canada (along with Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman, Art & Lutherie).

Here's the website. It looks like the La Patrie brand may be rebranded as Godin now.
https://godinguitars.com/product-cat...coustics/nylon
Oh I didn't even notice I joined in 2017, sounds around the time when I was getting into Gypsy Jazz.

I saw a few La Patrie's on Reverb used for around $500-600. One a Collection and one a Concert both electric I believe. Not sure how old though. These are good guitars you say? I'm looking for a nice clear sound on the louder side unplugged. Playability is a plus but I won't be learning on it, so sound is key.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I was focusing on Cordoba lineup when I was looking, but I ran across a 2016 Amalio Burguet Vanessa for a little over $500. Above your budget, but I'm sure you can find a nice used Cordoba for under $500 if you are patient. I was focusing on the C9 because it was all solid woods.

Good luck!
I've seen Cordoba. They are good you say? They seemed a mainstream mass produced maker and that can be hit or miss sometimes. I noticed some Manuel Rodriguez Cabalerro 10 guitar on Reverb. Wonder if they're any good. Sounds like Cordobas are considered pretty good though. Will consider.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:10 PM
Guest 928

Kremona is another make worth looking into. The Kremona site is incredibly clear and contains thorough descriptions of its model's dimensions.

The Cordoba guitars I've experienced have been very nice instruments. The company has a long history of quality classical and flamenco guitars.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:36 PM

I have played several Cordoba models, including very expensive ones and I was not impressed with any of them.
Best value in a Classical guitar is a used Yairi. I have a CY-120 which sounds much better than any Classical guitar I have played under $5000.
You will probably have to pay a bit more than $500 for a Yairi but they are worth it. Just ask Steve Hackett, of Genesis, he has a CY-118.
The models to look for are CY-118, CY-120, CY-125, CY-130 and CY-140.
These guitars are all hand built, and designed by Kazuo Yairi. Built under his supervision.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 08-28-2021, 10:23 PM

I would never buy a new classical guitar. Well aged ones sound so much better. Back in the 1960s and 70s many good ones came out of Japan and a few good ones out of Korea. The Yairi's mentioned above are the most famous but there are others from only a few makers but imported under many distributor names.

Most were well made but made of laminated woods. A few were made with solid woods. And some good ones were made with solid rosewood back and sides and an early version of the double top method now used in the most costly concert quality guitars made in the US and Europe.

I have one of these in East Indian rosewood and sitka spruce in pristine condition with the finest marquetry I have seen. I got it on ebay from a thrift store in Idaho Falls.

Another has solid Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and a cedar top. It sounds really good after some restoration of the hardware; the wood was fine. It came on ebay from Seattle among a group of lesser guitars. This one came from Korea which mostly produced lower quality but a few fine ones were imported by a distributor in Seattle. I also have a fine vintage steel string guitar from Korea. A clue is to check those with good quality hard shell cases, usually used on higher grade guitars.

You need to do some careful searching on line but you can find many vintage classical guitars to consider on the used market. Classical strings put much less stress on the instruments than steel strings do, and all of them I have examined are in OK condition for the wood. Some hardware adjustment may be needed but that is true of many brand new guitars. Most I have seen were playable as-is. Happy hunting. - Stevo
Old 08-28-2021, 10:40 PM

I would never buy a new classical guitar. Well aged ones sound so much better. Back in the 1960s and 70s many good ones came out of Japan and a few good ones out of Korea. The Yairi's mentioned above are the most famous but there are others from only a few makers but imported under many distributor names.

Most were well made but made of laminated woods. A few were made with solid woods. And some good ones were made with solid rosewood back and sides and an early version of the double top method now used in the most costly concert quality guitars made in the US and Europe.

I have one of these in East Indian rosewood and sitka spruce in pristine condition with the finest marquetry I have seen. I got it on ebay from a thrift store in Idaho Falls.

Another has solid Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and a cedar top. It sounds really good after some restoration of the hardware; the wood was fine. It came on ebay from Seattle among a group of lesser guitars. This one came from Korea which mostly produced lower quality but a few fine ones imported by a distributor in Seattle. I also have a fine vintage steel string guitar from Korea. A clue is to check those with good quality hard shell cases, usually used on higher grade guitars.

You need to do some careful searching on line but you can find many vintage classical guitars to consider on the used market. Classical strings put much less stress on the instruments than steel strings do, and all of them I have examined are in OK condition for the wood. Some hardware adjustment may be needed but that is true of many brand new guitars. Most I have seen were playable as-is. Happy hunting. - Stevo
Old 08-28-2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerB138 View Post
I've seen Cordoba. They are good you say? They seemed a mainstream mass produced maker and that can be hit or miss sometimes. I noticed some Manuel Rodriguez Cabalerro 10 guitar on Reverb. Wonder if they're any good. Sounds like Cordobas are considered pretty good though. Will consider.

I’ve never have played a Córdoba, but from all my investigation most were in favor. I had some reward dollars from MF which had me interested in buying a new or used C9 or C10. Somehow I discovered the hand built Amalio Burguet on reverb and my research found this to be an excellent guitar at a great price.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 08-28-2021, 11:14 PM

None for me so far. Even some classical guitars from $3K to $5K.

So one day I took my Cordoba C5 and experimented. I thin down the the bridge (wings) and add a side port. I was impressed with the sound.

Below clip is the side port sound sample.

https://youtu.be/I4CXYEQPEv8

Old 08-29-2021, 07:40 AM
Guest 928

Yama makes a good point, the Yairi guitars are hard to beat and, as he says, will probably cost more than your price point. But if you're looking for a high quality instrument then a little extra money and time would be good expenditures.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerB138 View Post
No disrespect intended, but at under $500, your choices for a quality classical guitar are kinda limited. You may have to adjust your expectations.
That said, if it were me in your shoes, I would either buy a new Yamaha in that budget range, or be patient and try to score a used guitar, hopefully one with solid woods and a good pedigree.
I hope you at least find something acceptable!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Kremona is another make worth looking into. The Kremona site is incredibly clear and contains thorough descriptions of its model's dimensions.

The Cordoba guitars I've experienced have been very nice instruments. The company has a long history of quality classical and flamenco guitars.
Ok cool thanks. I tried a Cordoba C7 at GC Dublin and a few Kremonas at Gryphon Strings. They both seemed nice. I was pretty satisfied with the sound of the Cordoba as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical