The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-19-2021, 09:53 AM

Default Tenor Guitar

I first heard a tenor guitar played by a customer at the World of Strings music store in Long Beach, CA. in the early 1970s. The guy had brought in what looked like a Stratocaster, but it had a maple tenor neck. He ran through a few tunes and was clearly a monster player - beautiful stuff, I remember several bars of 'Autumn Leaves', 'Ain't Misbehavin', 'Yesterday', and even a couple of sections of 'Malaguena'. I no longer remember his name and have never seen another guitar like the one he had.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:10 PM

October 16, 2009 I was driving from Oakland back to Las Vegas. Scenic route, thru Bakersfield. Bakersfield was said to have a few legendary axe stores but only one appeared to be open. I wish I could remember the name. Cool place, tons of mojo and at least a few dozen used guitars scattered around. Nice pieces, but mostly with high action and high prices, including three old tenor guitars. One was like a Gretch type hollowbody. Gorgeous, but impractical for me. Another was a Kay or harmony type acoustic with foot high action and a mile high price. Nothing fit me but I was intrigued.
As usual online searches found lots more high action or high prices for decent old pieces. I started thinking about some new acoustic models. I’ve never been a fan of Goldtone guitars, but Blueridge had some promising models. I watched eBay for a really long time without seeing any used ones. Finally bit on a BR-40T with low mileage. It’s really nice - quality woods and fine fit and finish. I like it a lot and play it semi-regularly, usually tuned D-G-B-E.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments