The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-14-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Default New Original - "Home"

Short and simple. Inspired by my recent visit with my son and his lovely, peaceful home and family. Recorded direct into my Android phone with my K.M. Clark 'Madison' dreadnought cutaway.

https://soundcloud.com/user-53046792/track-41

Last edited by dogdog49; 01-19-2022 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Solid steady playing and good sound from the phone. Thanks for sharing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-14-2021, 08:33 PM

I enjoyed it, thanks for sharing. Extremely well played and it elicits visions of precisely what inspired you to write it.

Can I ask about the process involved in composing a piece like this? How much do you rely on music theory versus your ear? People seem to fall all over the spectrum when it comes to writing.

The elements which make this sound so cohesive are from your pinches, droning bass notes, slides and hammers. I would really like to implement this kind of fingerstyle into my improvisation but so far it has eluded me. I know my diatonic scales all up and down the neck, I can play fingerstyle, I could play this piece if someone taught it to me. I could transcribe it by ear if I were feeling really patient, but I would have a hard time writing something so beautiful on my own.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-15-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Hi Ascotia. Thanks so much for the positive comments. I often worry that my music is so basic that no one will enjoy it so it's very encouraging to hear. I really know almost nothing about music theory or composition. Although I can read tab and play some pretty complex pieces by other composers, my own compositions tend to be relatively simple for that reason. I don't really know how they come about, but it's a very pleasurable and organic process. I spend a lot of time just noodling around in various tunings and once in while a melody or progression emerges that I find beautiful and that fits my mood of the moment. I then work on it. polish it, add to it, with lots of emphasis on trying to perfect as far as possible the tone and clarity of each individual note. I then just sit with it for a week or two as ideas for small changes, additions, subtractions, etc. sort of pop into mind. At some point I feel done, I feel that it captures and expresses the mood I was after, in this case the feeling of home. By the way, this one is in open D if you want to give it a try. And I found a better voice recorder for my phone and re-recorded it with some changes, more sliding into notes. I replaced the original link above and I'd love to hear your comments on the new version if you get a chance to listen.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:22 PM

Appreciate those insights. I wish I had the natural inclination to tinker around more than I do. I never mess around with open tunings but perhaps they would steer me toward some new territory. Gotta add that to the list
Old 08-16-2021, 03:49 AM

dogdog49 — this was thoroughly pleasant!

The calm and contentment evoked here was just the thing for my Monday morning. Thank you so much for sharing!

(A little bit later, I’ll be sure to have my husband, a non-musician, listen to your piece. I don’t do that too often, but this is something I really want to share. )

Last edited by Aimelie; 08-16-2021 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Thank you Aimelie. I'm really enjoying your compositions as well, beautiful, dreamlike, and evocative.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

That was wonderful. The playing was so beautiful and clean. Well done!

What guitar are you playing?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 08-17-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Thanks SprintBob. It's a Composite Acoustics GX Performer into the "Dolby On" recording app on my Android phone. I have a lot of great wooden guitars but none that record as well as this one.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Just re-recorded this one in a lower key on my baritone and I think it works much better on this tune.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Just re-recorded this one in a lower key on my baritone and I think it works much better on this tune.
Did you take down the original version? I’d like to compare the two.

(But, from memory, I think I liked the first version a little bit more. This one seems a bit somber in comparison.)

Last edited by Aimelie; 09-10-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Interesting! I took the first one down and thought I still had it, but apparently not. I really liked the lower key and the fullness of the bass line on the new one, but I also wondered about exactly what you're saying. I thought maybe I'd stay with the lower tuning but up the tempo, but maybe I'll record the first version once again and compare. I just play into my phone so it only takes 5 minutes.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 AM

No need to go to all that trouble. I was just curious to hear the differences side by side, so to speak.

It is still a very nice piece.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:22 AM

There are some really good musicians on this forum. That is a musical I enjoyed, a lot!
Old 09-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

That is beautiful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell