The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-26-2021, 08:22 AM

Default Tenor Guitar GDAE vs 6-string

I'm a few years into my guitar journey and play out live with a few friends. Solid player, nothing close to spectacular. We're a trio of acoustic guitars. One plays chords, one is bass player gone acoustic guitar player and runs basslines, I run melodies.

I stated on the uke and DGBE tenor guitar and have always felt the pull back to four strings. I've recently been living in a YouTube and internet wormhole of fifths turning (mostly GDAE) and am ready to dive in headfirst and focus on mandolin lessons (not a lot of comprehensive GDAE tenor lessons out there).

My buddy's response was, "all of those notes exist on the guitar". I know he's right, but a GDAE tenor in the hands of a strong tenor player sounds so different to me. Should I just continue my guitar journey, or is there something to the OM tenor thats worth pivoting to? I really think a GDAE tuning running melodies next to the other two guitars could be something interesting.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

GDAE tuning (Irish tenor banjo and octave mandolin tuning) is very common in Celtic music. I think you're making things more interesting by adding / blending (for example: alternate chord voicings) in the mix with a little distinction from two other guitars.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 07-26-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
GDAE tuning (Irish tenor banjo and octave mandolin tuning) is very common in Celtic music. I think you're making things more interesting by adding / blending in the mix with a little distinction from two other guitars.
That's my thinking as well. I have seen some GDAD players and lessons out there that sound interesting, but it seems that leans a little more towards the rhythm/chords role.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:38 PM

I play in 5ths a lot ... mando's, tenor banjo, etc.
I have found the tenor guitar useful for chords and rhythm instead of melody, and have been playing with CGDG (and GDAD on the mandocello) while playing melody in GDAE on mandolin and octave mandola.
Tenor has it's own colour like this.
(Steve Knightley, SoH, big influence here)
Old 08-05-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
GDAE tuning (Irish tenor banjo and octave mandolin tuning) is very common in Celtic music. I think you're making things more interesting by adding / blending (for example: alternate chord voicings) in the mix with a little distinction from two other guitars.
The melody lead player in an *acoustic* trio needs to be clearly heard vis the bass line and the chords player.

I suggest playing lead on a mandolin or tenor banjo which have contrasting voices instead of a tenor guitar or ukulele which are not easily heard amongst two (bigger body) steel string guitars.

If you are curious about tenor banjo, the Gold-Tone AC4 $230 is very nice entry level instrument. If more loudness is needed Gold-Tone has an optional resonator. I have one on GDAE fifths tuning and another in GCEA ukulele tuning. (PS: banjos sound good played banjo style, and not good played guitar style).

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-05-2021 at 07:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments