The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 PM

Default NHL Free Agency

Let the discussion begin!

I like what my Flames have done - and not done - thus far. I love that we poached Vladar from Boston, for a 3rd. He could be quite a goalie, in a few years time. Blake Coleman's a good fit, albeit the term is excessive - but he's played only 301 NHL games, so a lot of tread left in Coleman. Zadorov on the ice the same time as Lucic is a frightening scenario for many smallish forwards - love that signing if we can seal him in for $3.5/$3.75mill x 3/4 years. Trevor Lewis @ 1yr/$800K is also a solid signing.

How do the rest of you NHL fans feel about Day 1 for your teams?

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-28-2021, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Rangers made a couple of minor depth moves today (Greg McKegg, Dryden Hunt) without breaking the bank like the deals for Danault and Coleman. Here in the NYC area we're all waiting for Jack Eichel.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Enjoying this thread. I took a year (or more) off from all professional sports, during the pandemic. But I'm a lifelong hockey fan, so looking forward to following the off-season action before things pick up again.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Hey, welcome. Get a bunch of guys talking hockey and there's no end apparently. The guys on this thread are all pretty passionate and knowledgeable. It's carried me through the playoffs and I suspect it'll keep going into the season.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-29-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Enjoying this thread. I took a year (or more) off from all professional sports, during the pandemic. But I'm a lifelong hockey fan, so looking forward to following the off-season action before things pick up again.
Welcome back!

The Bruins... no big signings. I just hope they can get solid goaltending. Not sure what Ullmark will do (just signed him) - difficult to judge him because he played in Buffalo.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Landeskog signed ... I'm guessing it was a deal they shook hands on sometime well before the draft.

Fleury gave up that killer tying goal against the Habs as well as a couple softies against the Avs. Not surprised that Vegas is moving on.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 07-30-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Landeskog signed ... I'm guessing it was a deal they shook hands on sometime well before the draft.

Fleury gave up that killer tying goal against the Habs as well as a couple softies against the Avs. Not surprised that Vegas is moving on.
Glad that the Avalanche signed Landeskog.

Last year Vegas signed Lehner to a 5 year $25M contract. That meant the team was ready to move on from Fleury. He must have surprised them with the Vezina but he has a $7M cap hit this upcoming season.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

If you look at the numbers for Fleury and Lehner, past 5 years, they’re almost identical. Lehner has slightly better SV%, Fleury a slightly better GAA. Both have been really good. Lehner is younger and cheaper and arguably steadier. I think Vegas knew what they were doing.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 07-31-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
If you look at the numbers for Fleury and Lehner, past 5 years, they’re almost identical. Lehner has slightly better SV%, Fleury a slightly better GAA. Both have been really good. Lehner is younger and cheaper and arguably steadier. I think Vegas knew what they were doing.
Yea, I would have done the same thing given that Lehner was signed. Too much $ to keep two goalies at such a high cap hit. Of course, Fleury was washed up in Pittsburgh too and Matt Murray was the future and look what happened since then so what do I know.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Yea, I would have done the same thing given that Lehner was signed. Too much $ to keep two goalies at such a high cap hit. Of course, Fleury was washed up in Pittsburgh too and Matt Murray was the future and look what happened since then so what do I know.
Pittsburgh can't take the cap hit without moving a major piece of the puzzle. Maybe next year. Until then we have Jarry - FWIW. :-/
Old 08-02-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Pittsburgh can't take the cap hit without moving a major piece of the puzzle. Maybe next year. Until then we have Jarry - FWIW. :-/
Yea, Fleury has a big cap hit of $7M this year and then he's a free agent. Does his family live in Vegas? If so, guessing they will stay there when he's in Chicago and then perhaps he'll try for a West coast club.

Edit: I wrote that $7M is a big cap hit but not for a Vezina winner.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

So....getting back to how we started this discussion, have any of your teams made moves that you feel will be make the team appreciably better - or worse - or has the draft and free agency thusfar been a wash...?
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 08-03-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
So....getting back to how we started this discussion, have any of your teams made moves that you feel will be make the team appreciably better - or worse - or has the draft and free agency thusfar been a wash...?
I'm a lifelong Leafs fan, ........... what's that tell you ?
Old 08-03-2021, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Avs losing Saad, Donskoi and Graves in return for only an unknown (to me) Matsev is not too exciting.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Pens lost a couple of middle six forwards (McCann and Tanev) to the expansion draft experience and a middle pair defenseman (Ceci) to free agency, then signed a couple of middle six forward free agents (McGinn and Heinen) for a net gain of about $2M in Cap space. They're currently using that Cap space to re-sign some bottom six forwards that were on the team last year. Whether their performance in the ED and FA is called a "wash" or "treading water" or "meh" the Pens have been an exemplary example so far.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

Last edited by catdaddy; 08-03-2021 at 04:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic