The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-25-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreM View Post
The prices on the Lowden website automatically change according to your country

...Currently you need to order through a dealer (but you may chat with Lowden on their website before )
I didn’t know the currency changes, because I’m in the UK!

Benjo and I were specifically discussing purchasing replacement bridge-saddles, which can be ordered on-line via the web-site ‘Shop’ page. We weren’t talking about purchasing instruments.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:46 AM

The tone of my 023c is so luscious that new musical ideas just fly out of the soundhole. I searched far and wide for an 010 and jumped at this one.
I have not been disappointed.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
The tone of my 023c is so luscious that new musical ideas just fly out of the soundhole. I searched far and wide for an 010 and jumped at this one.
I have not been disappointed.
Love when this happens. It’s magical.
Congratulations !
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 12-26-2020, 09:58 AM

This is not my first Lowden, but boy is the best one. A late '90s O32C, lefty of course, which was played extensively by someone who had done several hundreds gigs with it. It's more than played in and you can feel it. Hard to beat this one!

Old 12-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I didn’t know the currency changes, because I’m in the UK!

Benjo and I were specifically discussing purchasing replacement bridge-saddles, which can be ordered on-line via the web-site ‘Shop’ page. We weren’t talking about purchasing instruments.
Of course these prices are only those of the merchandise area of the site, not guitars! but the post read this too:

Quote:
I am thinking of commissioning a 12-string version of the PBSM, in case there are any Lowden owners here who have commissioned custom builds from them. Would love to learn about your experience with that.
Hence my answer...
You can't order a guitar directly from Lowden if there are Lowden dealers in your country (unless you're Ed Sheeran or Richard Thompson of course...)
2015 S32J (Indian Rosewood/Alpine Spruce)
2020 Jérôme Lair French Romantic guitar (Yew/Spruce)
Old 12-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierreM View Post
Of course these prices are only those of the merchandise area of the site, not guitars! but the post read this too:

Hence my answer...
You can't order a guitar directly from Lowden if there are Lowden dealers in your country (unless you're Ed Sheeran or Richard Thompson of course...)
Aaahh, gotcha! Apologies - my tired, 73-year-old grey-matter doesn’t always ‘get’ what other people are actually saying!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-26-2020, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

Here's my O35C SLE from the run of 50 built in the 2001-2003 era. This was supposed to be the original Pierre Bensusan signature model, but there was a lot going down between George and the people building his guitars at the time, so PB never approved the model, which is probably built more like an Avalon.
Indian Rosewood (though there were a few made of Brazilian) and Cedar. 1-3/4" nut. 2-3/8" string spread at the saddle. "Egg" shaped neck carve. Very powerful guitar with lots of volume , overtones, and sustain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Body Front.jpg (23.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg 20130611_163650.jpg (23.9 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg Front Angle _Bass.jpg (21.4 KB, 296 views)
Old 12-26-2020, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Also have the "Old Lady" model from around 2016 based on Pierre's original Lowden. Similar in some ways to an O-22c, but with the wider string spacing. The Cuban mahogany used on this model is beautiful and I prefer the sound to that produced from the O35c SLE. These are not my pictures, but I believe they are from the person from whom I purchased the guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (29.8 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (32.0 KB, 294 views)
Old 06-02-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Paul Brady

Can any one of you Lowden enthusiasts advise which model of Lowden Paul Brady has been playing for many years?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgISZ4JyGCs

I think it's an "O" in size &, judging by the inlays, it appears to be one of the fancier models. But which one?

I know Lowden now produce a "Signature" Paul Brady model, but what is the above? My knowledge of Lowdens is limited, to say the least!
Old 06-02-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Well, we are into the second page of a Lowden Owner thread and it must be time to ask:

Which strings do you prefer?

Which pickup, if any, do you use?

I am having a ‘Lowden Day’ today which may stretch into a Lowden weekend!

BluesKing777.
I love my F32C. I'll never sell it
I use K&K pure mini (just the passive transducer). Funny thing is that I sold my amp, so my only use for this is the Tonewood Amp. I kinda have my eyes on a Blackstar Sonnet.
I use Elixir 12's phosphor. I'm getting tired of it though and I recently bought some sets of the StringJoy. I'm looking forward to testing it when it's time.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmccamey View Post
I'm interested in a Lowden (no wood preference at the moment). Can someone school me on the "Lowden sound" or even "the Celtic sound"? I am most familiar with Martin and Collings.
My best description is that it has a nice airiness in it's tone. I used to own a Breedlove and tried out many Taylors in the past. I also did own a GS Mini once. The American guitars have a scooped sound.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:02 AM

I must have bought a Friday night special.Soft frets - wear after ten hours play . Not my playing style . My 63 years old telecaster still have half fret height left.
Delicate finish - my shirt sleeve would scratch it , and could be dented with ease.
Sold for a considerable loss , then saw it up for sale a few weeks later !
Not just me then .
The tone was so so.
My Patrick James Eggle Linville beat it hands down.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:39 AM

Talking

As of yesterday afternoon, I’m in the club! After anxiously wishing for the long weekend to be done with and an agonizing afternoon at work after receiving a delivery notification, I received my beautiful 2016 Richard Thomson signature model that I purchased from an excellent seller and forum member. With its AAAA Cedar top and beautifully figured Ziricote back and sides it not only looks stunning, but flat out SINGS. This guitar feels like it was made just for me. The size is perfect, the neck is legitimately the most comfortable profile I’ve ever held, and the sound is EXACTLY the tone I’ve been chasing. I can’t wait to get to know this magnificent instrument!
Old 06-03-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnicol View Post
I must have bought a Friday night special.Soft frets - wear after ten hours play . Not my playing style . My 63 years old telecaster still have half fret height left.
Delicate finish - my shirt sleeve would scratch it , and could be dented with ease.
Sold for a considerable loss , then saw it up for sale a few weeks later !
Not just me then .
The tone was so so.
My Patrick James Eggle Linville beat it hands down.
Are you sure you didn’t get a knock off? I’ve never heard of frets wearing out after 10 hours of play. And no Lowden I have played would I consider a delicate finish.

Last edited by Rosewood99; 06-03-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnicol View Post
This is my Lowden O25 after ten years. Are you sure what you had was actually a Lowden?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion