The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2021, 11:28 AM

Default Practice Break

Is it a good idea to take a break from playing/practice every so often? I’m in a slump.

Thanks.

Terryd
Old 09-10-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If practice feels more like drudgery than somewhat useful and satisfying then taking a break may be good for the state of ones mental health.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-10-2021, 11:47 AM

if you are asking the question then.. maybe..

nothing wrong with taking some down time.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-13-2021, 05:35 AM

If its not enjoyable dont do it.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

I'm going to say that I took a little break one time and it lasted forty years. Now if I start feeling overwhelmed I don't take a break, I just slack off. I play for a half hour instead of an hour and a half. I go over stuff I've already learned, relearn stuff I've forgot and play songs that I already know. But I don't take more than a few days where I don't pick it up and play something. I can't afford another long lay off like the last one.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-13-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Yes. Often. Always keep in touch with why you play guitar. Play "other stuff" that's easy or fun and experiement.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-13-2021, 09:01 AM

Violin virtuoso and educator Yehudi Menuhin recommended at least one day a week break from practicing and a complete vacation of a week or two every year. He said that when you went back to practicing, you will have lost little in technique, but would probably look at things with a fresh eye.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

One thing that has worked for me is to make some sort of change. Two things that worked particularly well were playing in a different location in my house for about a week or so, and playing outside for a few days. The changes may seem subtle, but the differences in sound and feel have given me inspiration and focus which got me through a "slump."

You might also try working on fingerstyle if you are a pick player (or vice-versa), playing with a capo if you normally don't, or just taking a few days to work on a new song or style.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post
Violin virtuoso and educator Yehudi Menuhin recommended at least one day a week break from practicing and a complete vacation of a week or two every year. He said that when you went back to practicing, you will have lost little in technique, but would probably look at things with a fresh eye.
Multiple Grammy winner and all time mandolin great Chris Thile definitely doesn’t subscribe to that notion. He said if he only played or practiced two hours a day he would regress. And I’ve read multiple other statements from pro musicians such as Zakk Wylde that said there was no way they could skip a day without playing. And I can’t recall the name, but I do remember reading a quote from a classical artist that essentially said if he missed a day of practice, he could tell. If he missed two days of practice his audience could tell.

But obviously people are different in many ways; time, goals, where they are in life, and where they are in their musical journey included.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:58 AM

When it becomes work put it down!
Old 09-22-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
Is it a good idea to take a break from playing/practice every so often? I’m in a slump.

Thanks.

Terryd
Hi terryd…

Yes, it is. Even on a day-to-day basis. I have always played about 30-40 minutes, and then I take a break. Now that I'm retired, that means till a different part of the day.

If I'm learning songs for our Worship Team then I'll do one 'practice' session which is just listening, and another playing along with the recording, and a third session to just play through intros, endings, transitions etc.

When I taught, I encouraged students to practice a couple segments of the lesson then take a break and come back for other parts later. They learned more quickly and didn't tend to burn out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'll take a day or two off every week. Every once in a while I'll go three days without playing, but that usually follows a few days of heavy playing and my hands are resting up. I'm 66 and I do need a nap now and then

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-22-2021, 05:22 PM

It really depends on what you goal is I think. If you want to go head to head with Tommy Emmanuel or be a first call Nashville studio pro, it's probably best to not be taking many breaks. For the average home player, sure, take some breaks. Keep it fun.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:49 PM

I have some days where I don't want to pick up my guitar and practice or learn new stuff for a couple of hours a day like I usually do. But if I just get myself to pick up the guitar and make sure it's in tune I start feeling more motivated and sometimes I go on for more than a couple of hours. I don't even take breaks during that time hardly at all. Maybe I should but I don't.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write