The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-10-2021, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Default New Mandolin Incoming (Kentucky content)... now NMD

After spending way too much time the last couple of days looking at and listening to mandolins (and OMG those Chris Thile videos playing Lloyd Loars at Carter's) and almost convincing myself to pony up a grand or so on a really decent mando, one last google search showed a Kentucky KM-250 on Mercari for $250.

The best price I'd seen by a fair stretch. So after doing a bit of due diligence on Mercari (never used it before) I decided to give it a shot. Apparently Marcari is legit, and won't release your money to the seller until you're satisfied.

I'm sure I'll need to give it a decent setup, but it looks pretty close to new in the pics.

I was leaning towards buying one from The Loar, because in the videos I found them a bit less harsh, but figure you're paying a premium for the F-style. Almost went Eastman, but was a bit put off by the narrower neck, and worried about my big fingers. But, never was one to pass up a good deal. Hopefully this actually is one.

I currently have a a Kentucky KM174, which is an oval hole, and a Gold Tone GM-35, which is all laminate. So I was looking for an upgraded bluegrass instrument. Should be able to sell the Gold Tone to pretty much cover the cost.

We'll see how it goes. I've done this before, get really excited about mandolins, get one, and then never really do much with it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 08-17-2021 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:16 AM

I've had two KM-250s.... just acquired a new one a few months ago. Solid quality for the price. If you are getting a legit KM-250 for $250, that is an awesome deal. I got mine for $428 shipped, and considered myself fortunate.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
If you are getting a legit KM-250 for $250, that is an awesome deal. I got mine for $428 shipped, and considered myself fortunate.
Fingers crossed... the seller has very positive feedback. Always a bit weird buying from a platform you've not used before, though.

It certainly looks right.
It is coming from Vegas, so hopefully life in the desert hasn't been too rough on it.
These are supposed to be actual pics:
Mando.jpg
mando1.jpg

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 08-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

You're traveling down a path that can only lead to poverty. Sure, now you can enjoy the mandolin you can afford, but sooner or later you'll end up thinking your car with 200,000 miles on it can last another five years so it's OK to buy a Gibson Cremona Rush.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-10-2021, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Maybe.

But we'll see what happens, it hasn't stuck yet.

In the late 90s I bought a Tacoma. Eventually sold that after not playing it for a few years. Then was a Fender. Then a Michael Kelly. Then the KM-174, then the Gold Tone.

Have never REALLY gotten going and stuck with it. I'm going to spend some time on setup this time, though.

But then again, I also almost had myself convinced to buy a use Silverangel yesterday... if I didn't need to set aside money to pay form my upcoming custom OM, I very well might have.

(Call me Dan)
Old 08-11-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

An Eastman MD 505 got me hooked, a Silverangel sealed the deal. Really insane for the money if you like a warm and resonant tone. I really should play mine more but I built an F style and that gets all my time these days.

Setup is everything.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 08-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

And now it's an NMD.
Best guess is that it was hanging on a shop wall somewhere and never sold. It still has the sticky film on both the pickguard and truss rod cover. A couple of marks on the cling-film covering the pickguard. A few finger smudges on the finish. No indication of any other wear. But a fair amount of corrosion on the strings. Both E strings broke when trying to tune it up.

Without busting out any measuring instruments, I'd say the setup is pretty close. It definitely feels easier to play out of the box than either of my current mandos. I definitely think that the bigger frets and the radiused fretboard are part of that.

Early impression is that the bass is much more full and treble less harsh than what I already had.

Pretty pleased to get a good deal.

(Call me Dan)

Last edited by warfrat73; 08-17-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Incidentally... I'm assuming the end pins on these things are just friction fitted? Or add a tiny drop of CA glue?

(Call me Dan)
Old 08-17-2021, 06:30 PM

Yes to the friction fit. And not IME a tight fit. A dab of glue or small piece of masking tape around the very end. Looks like a keeper hope you bond with it!
Old 08-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Just tried it, and the endpin is too small... won't stay put. I'll try a bit of tape to shim it first.

(Call me Dan)
Old 09-10-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
After spending way too much time the last couple of days looking at and listening to mandolins (and OMG those Chris Thile videos playing Lloyd Loars at Carter's) and almost convincing myself to pony up a grand or so on a really decent mando, one last google search showed a Kentucky KM-250 on Mercari for $250.

The best price I'd seen by a fair stretch. So after doing a bit of due diligence on Mercari (never used it before) I decided to give it a shot. Apparently Marcari is legit, and won't release your money to the seller until you're satisfied.

I'm sure I'll need to give it a decent setup, but it looks pretty close to new in the pics.

I was leaning towards buying one from The Loar, because in the videos I found them a bit less harsh, but figure you're paying a premium for the F-style. Almost went Eastman, but was a bit put off by the narrower neck, and worried about my big fingers. But, never was one to pass up a good deal. Hopefully this actually is one.

I currently have a a Kentucky KM174, which is an oval hole, and a Gold Tone GM-35, which is all laminate. So I was looking for an upgraded bluegrass instrument. Should be able to sell the Gold Tone to pretty much cover the cost.

We'll see how it goes. I've done this before, get really excited about mandolins, get one, and then never really do much with it.
Looks like I'm going through about the same stuff as you. I'm waiting for a new Eastman 305 coming next Tues. in hopes I will stick with it this time. I had an Eastman 515 that stayed in it's case for too many years, and sold it about a year ago thinking I was done with Mandos, but .... this time?
Old 09-10-2021, 09:44 AM

I bought a KM-1500 model back in the spring and have been very happy with it. I am surprised to see that yours came with the exact same case. I would have thought that the higher priced models would have a hard shell case. My only complaint is that the cream binding around the scroll area is not as neat as it could be but it sounds like that's a very difficult job. Other than that, it's flawless.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Those master series (900 up) Kentuckys are the only reasonable bridge in quality on the way to Northfields. I mean they are really good. You have to go another grand to beat them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 09-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new mandolin! Lovely finish!

I keep thinking about getting one of these! What fun for you!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments