The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-03-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
One other thing I meant to mention... These guitars have black top filtertron pickups. Setting the height of the pickups is imperative. Don't assume they are set correctly from the factory. The filtertron are very picky in this regard.
Oh good! Now I have to learn more! My learner is getting crowdeder.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:44 PM

+1 on the suggestion of using fingerpicks. I have a '67 6120 Nashville with Filtertrons and I am a finger picker. These are great guitars and pickups for fingerpicks.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-08-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
One other thing I meant to mention... These guitars have black top filtertron pickups. Setting the height of the pickups is imperative. Don't assume they are set correctly from the factory. The filtertron are very picky in this regard.
A big hat tip to you! It's not that I didn't know pickup height changes things, but I hadn't fiddled with the adjustment on my Gretsch Electromatic archtop from what it came with out of the box. I had to loosen and move the pickguard to get to the treble side adjustment screws, but that was so worth the trouble. I set both pickups up a bit and now so much more bite and treble! If you had blindfolded me, made those changes, and handed it back to me I'd have sworn you did a pickup swap, it was that different.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
A big hat tip to you! It's not that I didn't know pickup height changes things, but I hadn't fiddled with the adjustment on my Gretsch Electromatic archtop from what it came with out of the box. I had to loosen and move the pickguard to get to the treble side adjustment screws, but that was so worth the trouble. I set both pickups up a bit and now so much more bite and treble! If you had blindfolded me, made those changes, and handed it back to me I'd have sworn you did a pickup swap, it was that different.
Thanks Frank! Yes, I have had several of this model and currently own a Fairlane blue version. Every one of them, except one I bought used, had to be adjusted. It can transform them from a very average sounding instrument to a real player!
Old 09-10-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
this just got added my weekend task list..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars