The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-08-2021, 07:41 PM

Default Is a cracked binding repairable?

This is on 1960's Epiphone FT-30
https://i.imgur.com/wg1wtSp.jpeg

Not sure if this is something fixable short of completely replacing the binding. It is like this in several places, not sure if because it was dropped or due to to temperature changes or what.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:40 PM

Default A thought

I suspect the binding is oxidizing in its old age. Experienced folks will be able to explain what's been happening as time passes.
Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I've watched a lot of guitar repair vids, and from what I have seen it is really difficult to 'patch' binding on older guitar without it being noticeable. Clearly, that binding has aged and probably even shrunk a bit. I'm no expert, but it certainly looks like an impact issue there...
Old 09-10-2021, 01:25 AM

That is classic celluloid decomposition. This can be dangerous, since the unstable nature can produce corrosive nitric acid fumes that can rust metal parts and damage the surrounding finish. Worst yet, it can spontaneously combust. Because of the fumes released, it is best to avoid enclosing the affected instrument in a case. The only fix is replacement.
Celluloid is made by dissolving cellulose fibers in nitric acid. It is stabilized by adding camphor. Once the camphor gasses out (which can occur anywhere from 20 years to 100+ years), it arrives in this state.
There are specific guitars that are particularly susceptible. Those made in New York in the 1940's and 1950's (i.e. Gretsch, D-Angelico) are some of the worst. It is tied to a particular US manufacturer of the celluloid.
Gibson and Epiphone guitars from the 1960's and 1970's with tortoise celluloid also seem to be frequent victims.
This is a very common problem with elevated pickguards on archtop instruments, presumably because the pickguards are exposed to the air on all surfaces.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
binding, cracked, repair