The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Default How to combine audio and video recording over backing audio track on iphone?

Hi! New to the forum and also quite new in the world of acoustic guitar. Here is my question. I’m working through the Rockschool method (really great guitar books) an also want to take part in the graded video exams they offer. For that it’s necessary to (video and audio) record a few exam pieces when playing along to a backing track. I fiddled around a bit with my iPhone camera without an external microphone and played the backing track on my laptop. The result is not bad, but can be better. So what I want is:

- Record video of my performance with iPhone camera (the camera is pretty good actually)
- Use external microphone connected to iPhone (thinking of Shure MV88, or some Rode mic).
- Play backing track (mp3) while recording (probably through earphones so that it does not interfere with the recording)
- The end result should be a video (me playing guitar) with backing track (mp3) over it
- no editing of the video / audio is allowed.

Question: What is a good iOs app for capturing the video and where a backing track can be added. Best would be that the backing track plays during recording (so I can play along), but also is recorded simultaneously so that my playing and the backing track don’t go out of sync. Is Movie an option for instance?

Of course there are much better solutions with better gear, but I don’t want to spend too much in this stage. It should be as simple as possible (I accept that the result is not perfect) in terms of not using too many different apps and too much hassle when starting a recording. I just want to try out if something like the above works. If there are other (not too expensive) alternatives, of course I’m very interested to hear them.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackflash27 View Post
Hi! New to the forum and also quite new in the world of acoustic guitar. Here is my question. I’m working through the Rockschool method (really great guitar books) an also want to take part in the graded video exams they offer. For that it’s necessary to (video and audio) record a few exam pieces when playing along to a backing track. I fiddled around a bit with my iPhone camera without an external microphone and played the backing track on my laptop. The result is not bad, but can be better. So what I want is:

- Record video of my performance with iPhone camera (the camera is pretty good actually)
- Use external microphone connected to iPhone (thinking of Shure MV88, or some Rode mic).
- Play backing track (mp3) while recording (probably through earphones so that it does not interfere with the recording)
- The end result should be a video (me playing guitar) with backing track (mp3) over it
- no editing of the video / audio is allowed.

Question: What is a good iOs app for capturing the video and where a backing track can be added. Best would be that the backing track plays during recording (so I can play along), but also is recorded simultaneously so that my playing and the backing track don’t go out of sync. Is Movie an option for instance?

Of course there are much better solutions with better gear, but I don’t want to spend too much in this stage. It should be as simple as possible (I accept that the result is not perfect) in terms of not using too many different apps and too much hassle when starting a recording. I just want to try out if something like the above works. If there are other (not too expensive) alternatives, of course I’m very interested to hear them.

Thanks for your help.
The simplest way of doing this is going to be playing your backing tracks on a amp and then shooting the video to capture the audio and video together. Yes, you could use an external mic with your phone, but if you video as close as possible it will still work pretty well.

Since there's a stipulation of NO EDITING that seems to leave out any chance of recording audio separately and combining that with your video in an editing program.

The following video is more or less done by combining "pre-recorded audio" along with live guitar, but recording the audio with a Tascam DR-05 and combining that with the video in Reaper on the computer.

If combining audio and video IS allowed, then the Tascam DR-05 actually lets you listen to a first recording (background track) and add your playing over it.
Old 09-06-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I haven't done it on an iPhone but on an iPad you can import external files to Garage Band and sync your audio there. There's almost certainly a video app, maybe even the iOS one (computer user, myself) that lets you import an external audio track, say from a DropBox or Google Drive folder/app. You'd just have to sync it to the video you just recorded. I might just try that in a couple weeks with the iMovie app on my phone. (I know it can be done on a Mac.)
Old 09-07-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The simplest way of doing this is going to be playing your backing tracks on a amp and then shooting the video to capture the audio and video together. Yes, you could use an external mic with your phone, but if you video as close as possible it will still work pretty well.

Since there's a stipulation of NO EDITING that seems to leave out any chance of recording audio separately and combining that with your video in an editing program.

The following video is more or less done by combining "pre-recorded audio" along with live guitar, but recording the audio with a Tascam DR-05 and combining that with the video in Reaper on the computer.

If combining audio and video IS allowed, then the Tascam DR-05 actually lets you listen to a first recording (background track) and add your playing over it.
Thanks Rudy! Unfortunately I don't have an acoustic guitar with plugin for amplifier. But where do you capture the video with, with your phone?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I haven't done it on an iPhone but on an iPad you can import external files to Garage Band and sync your audio there. There's almost certainly a video app, maybe even the iOS one (computer user, myself) that lets you import an external audio track, say from a DropBox or Google Drive folder/app. You'd just have to sync it to the video you just recorded. I might just try that in a couple weeks with the iMovie app on my phone. (I know it can be done on a Mac.)
Hi Keith,
I'm familiar with Garageband, great tool.
So what you're saying is:
1 Import backing track in Garageband
2 Record acoustic guitar with iPhone standard app (video and audio)
3 Import audio from step 2 in garageband as a seperate track and sync with backing track (which is a different 'track' in garageband). Note: I don't know if this is allowed because of the 'no editing' rule.
4 ... here I have lost you. How to combine the video with the audio?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Keith,
I'm familiar with Garageband, great tool.
So what you're saying is:
1 Import backing track in Garageband
2 Record acoustic guitar with iPhone standard app (video and audio)
3 Import audio from step 2 in garageband as a seperate track and sync with backing track (which is a different 'track' in garageband). Note: I don't know if this is allowed because of the 'no editing' rule.
4 ... here I have lost you. How to combine the video with the audio?
Well, I'd assume the "no editing" applies to your own part, but if it applies to everything, then, yes, you'd basically want to have the backing track playing on something else, loud enough that it gets captured by your phone. While I'd argue that adding the backing track in doesn't alter your own audio/video, it's going to be pretty obvious that it was done.

I once had a video that showed how to import a backing track into GB, but I have deleted it. In any case, it would be more direct to import into the video app, like iMovie, where you can have the audio track that's in the video, and a separate soundtrack. (At least on a Mac, and IIRC also on iOS.) I may have time to try this later, but again, it may "violate the letter of the law, if not the spirit," so you should get clarification on that.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rudy! Unfortunately I don't have an acoustic guitar with plugin for amplifier. But where do you capture the video with, with your phone?
Yes, video recording with Moto E6 smartphone, using free "Open Camera" app.

You can see the phone being used on a tripod in THIS recent topic.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Well, I'd assume the "no editing" applies to your own part, but if it applies to everything, then, yes, you'd basically want to have the backing track playing on something else, loud enough that it gets captured by your phone. While I'd argue that adding the backing track in doesn't alter your own audio/video, it's going to be pretty obvious that it was done.

I once had a video that showed how to import a backing track into GB, but I have deleted it. In any case, it would be more direct to import into the video app, like iMovie, where you can have the audio track that's in the video, and a separate soundtrack. (At least on a Mac, and IIRC also on iOS.) I may have time to try this later, but again, it may "violate the letter of the law, if not the spirit," so you should get clarification on that.
Hi, well, I assume this is allowed. I now know that with the 'no editing' rule they mean that the recording should be done in one take, with no pausing, cutting and pasting in between.
So recording video with iPhone camera (which is fine), probably add an external microphone for the audio recording, export the video/audio to iMovie, and add the backing track mp3 as a separate track. Right?

One more thing: when I record, I want to play along / hear the backing track, BUT this output of the backing track should not be recorded in the part that goes into iMovie (I have the mp3 for that). So using a headphone while recording I guess.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

If you have an amp or PA (I have done this with a Bose S1 Pro), you can put the backing track into channel 3, vocal in channel 1, and guitar in channel 2. Your idea of a Shure MV88 is good, but an MV88+ would work even better; use an extension lightning cable to go from the iPhone to just in front of the amp/PA with the mic, and you have vocal, guitar, and backing track being recorded for the audio while the iPhone takes care of the video.

This gives you the ability to "mix" the backing track with your vocal/playing to get the blend you desire. The app with the MV88+ has different settings for voice, instrument, and "loud", which works great in front of an amp.

Easier than this description might sound.

Here's an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFHjw8Z54M

Last edited by Captain Jim; 09-09-2021 at 10:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD