The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-28-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Radiused fretboards

I play a La Patrie Collection guitar which has a 24” radius fretboard. Because of that feature I can play better than on a typical flat board. The La Patrie is a fine instrument however I may want to upgrade to an even better guitar at some future date. My concern is that I can’t find higher grade guitars with a radiused fretboard. My skill level doesn’t justify having a guitar custom built so I’m looking for some type of production model. Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 AM

If necessary, you could always have the fingerboard planed to whatever radius you like. It'd likely be around $300 to have it done.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:49 PM

Ive been looking at nylon strings with a narrower neck and radiused fretboard. Don’t know what your budget is. Look at the Cordoba Fusion line (especially the Orchestra CE) for around $800-900 or the New World Player FS for under $2000.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 12-03-2020, 10:33 AM

What Charles said. Just find one you like and budget for a refret job.

I will add this too, your skill level doesn't have anything to do with buying a custom made guitar. Your budget might however. But many people buy custom guitars for the pure joy and pleasure of having fine things too. IT's not unlike buying art for example.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:13 AM

What redir said.
IMO there is nothing wrong with buying a fine instrument, and it will probably improve your playing and inspire you. I am always puzzled by friends who spend $10k for options on their car but looked at me like I was nuts when I bought a $5k guitar. A guitar that will retain value and be handed down to my kids. There are a few makers like Cervantes and Maestro who will do anything you want for far less than an upgrade in car options, and several makers who will do it for a little more than that. Money is tight these days, I get it, but owning one fine instrument is not as excessive as it might seem. And then you have exactly what you want.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:23 AM
Guest 928

And, as I continue to point out, check out Kremona. The Kremona site reveals a wide variety of options and precisely spells out the dimensions of each offering. I ordered one and found that I was able to customize to some extent; a cut-a-way with no electronics and a different rosette. The guitar was a marvel and well worth the money. Some models can be found in the big box stores and tried with the chance to return.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:57 AM

EvanB. Based on the recommendation, I wrote to Mr Henry at Kremona this morning.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Guest 928

CK;

I found Mr. Henry a delight to deal with--give him my regards when you next correspond with him.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical