The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-26-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Me I would forget trying to record in that room I would DYI or purchase say 4 or more 2' by 4' broad band absorption panels on stands (portable gobo style) and store them in that room.
Excellent idea, and perfect use of the small room.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Thanks all for the advice and ideas!

So... it's probably best for me not to optimize the space for recording, but if I do go ahead with turning it into a little touchdown/focus room, maybe I'll see what some vocals and/or guitar sound like with a dynamic mic in there — maybe an SM57 or SM7B could neutralize the small room to a degree? If it's awful, I've just got a small room for getting out of the way for work stuff and I'm no worse off than where I started.
Well if you just buy a mic and try it, and from that you'll know how well or unacceptably it works in that room and worst case you'll have a a good microphone to use somewhere else. The 57 is a lot cheaper than the SM7b. There's also the Beta 57, which is a bit more than the SM57 but works well for one vocalist I sometime use. The SM7b has a low end roll off, which particularly if you are working close to the mic I'd personally engage, but your room, your voice, your choice. The SM7B has a built in pop filter, the SM57/Beta 57 doesn't, but you can use an external pop filter. There's even a right-angle mount Beta57 model, called the Beta 56. It's a space saving design (originally targeted for drum set micing where space saving has extra value).

For my work-close vocal mic in my small, but not that small, room I prefer the ElectroVoice EV20 because its proximity effect from being close is smaller. The EV20 also has a built in pop filter, but I use a cheap external pop filter with mine as well. Both the EV20 and the SM7b have low output and most likely will need a CloudLifter or other similar device to bring their level up to what most interfaces need. Obviously, a EV20 or SM7b plus CloudLifter etc is more expensive, but these are quality microphones which I think have great sound for vocals as well as advantages in some environments. If the cost is an issue, a Shure Beta 57 or Beta 56 would be what I would go with. Less than half the price and you won't need a Cloudlifter, and they're useful microphones for many things too.

For acoustic guitar, do consider the iRig Acoustic Stage to save space and reduce room sound.

There are curved shields/boxes that mount behind the vocal mic that may help some by attenuating the vocals before they get to the wall behind the mic to start their bouncing around. Not magic, but maybe a help. Others here are more knowledgeable that I, but in addition something absorptive behind your mic position as well might be worth the sacrifice in room space.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-26-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
…The room is approximately 4.5'x4.5' — small, but it's surprisingly pleasant. There's an east-facing window which gives it a fair amount of natural light, especially early in the day.
Hi ataylor…

We don't hear with our ears, nor see with our eyes. They are collectors, and then the brain fills in the cracks and builds 3D images for us.

Unless you are 110 pounds (soaking wet), pencil thin, and play a mini-sized guitar with the neck pointing toward the ceiling while you stand to play, that closet wouldn't be big enough for even you and the mic(s).

It's much easier to treat an area of a larger room with gobos (partitions), and record there. You'd get a better sound (perhaps for a lot less investment).

I know voice over people who stand in between rows of clothes in a walk-in closet and record, but you're recording music, not dialogue.

It's amazing what can be done with impromptu setups when there are old oatmeal ceiling rooms, blankets to drape over hard surfaces, area rugs, and couches, and using cardioid pattern condenser mics to essentially create a space for close or medium distance (18") recordings.

Have fun experimenting…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Normally, Id say “go for it”, but I wouldnt sink too much money or effort until you try it out and prove all us nay-sayers wrong! Thats literally about the size of a phone booth, if youre old enough to know what they are! Aside from acoustic challenges, you’ll have to be darn careful where you set your beverage!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD