The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-21-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
When I ordered my X20 I insisted to get a narrower fretboard up the neck (56mm at the 14th fret) with the low E running parallel to the edge.
The guitar came exactly as expected, with low E easy to thumb-fret and high E running a bit further from the edge up the neck.
It might not matter to many, but for me it made a significant difference in playability.
I can imagine that would make a noticeable difference. My standard-neck X20 measures 59.5mm at the 14th.

f14.jpg
Old 05-21-2022, 04:33 PM

Quote:
When I ordered my X20 I insisted to get a narrower fretboard up the neck (56mm at the 14th fret) with the low E running parallel to the edge.
The guitar came exactly as expected, with low E easy to thumb-fret and high E running a bit further from the edge up the neck.
It might not matter to many, but for me it made a significant difference in playability.
Was there an up charge for that?
Old 05-21-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
When did you order your guitar? Looking at the X20 on the 3D Builder, it appears as though the strings run parallel down the neck without widening. That could be deceiving. I wonder if the newer X20s have this issue or if Emerald has changed their necks to be like yours.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
When did you order your guitar? Looking at the X20 on the 3D Builder, it appears as though the strings run parallel down the neck without widening. That could be deceiving. I wonder if the newer X20s have this issue or if Emerald has changed their necks to be like yours.
I ordered the guitar last year just before the 3D builder, after the project had been pending for quite some time. But it shouldn’t make any difference, as far as I know the mold is still the same. And with a 1.75’’ nut width, a fretboard close to 2.35’’ wide at the 14th fret and a string spacing of 2.25’’ at the bridge it’s geometrically impossible to have strings running parallel to the edges.

Another possibility would be to keep the standard neck and ask for a wider string spacing if that’s something you like. Probably cheaper since it’s just a modification of the hole placement. 60mm at the bridge is great for finger picking… less so for strumming though
Old 05-22-2022, 04:46 AM

For my custom X20 Nylon I specified a neck width of 49 mm at the nut. The width at the 14th fret was increased by the same amount: 61.3 mm.

So as others have mentioned it must be an Emerald design thing. It does help with legato technique up high on the neck, where the high E string can accidentally slip past the fret due to lower tension in the middle of the string.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for posting this information

This has been a very helpful thread, as I was about to give up hope. I have a video call scheduled for Thursday morning. I really hope I can get something close to what I want. I’m ok with either 1.75” or 1.68” nut width. I prefer 2 3/16” at the bridge but have adapted to the wider 2 1/4” spacing (I strum 60-70% of the time).The problem for me is the combo of the extra wide neck AND the wider spacing. Age and smaller hands/fingers have made this an issue that will likely only increase as time and arthritis goes on.

I will post my results after the call.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
Thank you for posting this information

This has been a very helpful thread, as I was about to give up hope. I have a video call scheduled for Thursday morning. I really hope I can get something close to what I want. I’m ok with either 1.75” or 1.68” nut width. I prefer 2 3/16” at the bridge but have adapted to the wider 2 1/4” spacing (I strum 60-70% of the time).The problem for me is the combo of the extra wide neck AND the wider spacing. Age and smaller hands/fingers have made this an issue that will likely only increase as time and arthritis goes on.

I will post my results after the call.
I look forward to reading your post. You can refer them to this thread, though I’d be surprised if Alistair hasn’t heard this complaint from customers before. It’d be cool if he or a member of his sales team chimed in on our discussion, but I know their company is still relatively small. Also, I’m curious to find how much a fully customized neck costs.
Old 05-23-2022, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, I’m curious to find how much a fully customized neck costs.
For those who may not have explored it, you can get a pretty good idea of what customization costs by checking out the various options in the builder.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-23-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
For those who may not have explored it, you can get a pretty good idea of what customization costs by checking out the various options in the builder.
The Builder is an incredible tool to put a potential build together. Let’s hope it eventually incorporates the neck profile issues we’re discussing here - without costing an arm and a leg.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Builder is an incredible tool to put a potential build together. Let’s hope it eventually incorporates the neck profile issues we’re discussing here - without costing an arm and a leg.
I’d like to think that if you chose (for example) a custom nut width, and a custom scale length, that the costs would not be additive. The Builder would suggest that they are, but I’d think that a question worth asking.

If you ask for something outside of the options offered, then it’s a matter of a) will they do it, and b) negotiation

And don’t lose sight of the fact that the neck profile issues discussed here may not actually be ‘issues’ for many Emerald players, myself included. For example, I’m also on the Facebook CF group, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single post there about neck profiles, whether Emerald, Rainsong, or anyone else.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 05-23-2022 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I’d like to think that if you chose (for example) a custom nut width, and a custom scale length, that the costs would not be additive. The Builder would suggest that they are, but I’d think that a question worth asking.

If you ask for something outside of the options offered, then it’s a matter of a) will they do it, and b) negotiation

And don’t lose sight of the fact that the neck profile issues discussed here may not actually be ‘issues’ for many Emerald players, myself included. For example, I’m also on the Facebook CF group, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single post there about neck profiles, whether Emerald, Rainsong, or anyone else.
I hear you. The issue probably isn’t effecting their bottom line too much and many Emerald owners on forums don’t seem to have a problem with their standard neck profile. Still, the extra shoulder up and down the neck is an obvious issue for those of us with small to medium sized hands. Kevin at Emerald basically said just get the more narrow neck width and the neck will be smaller down the neck. When I asked for the specs he didn’t give me an answer. Not sure why this was so hard to answer, or at least find out.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Partial update from Emerald

I had my meeting with Davy, who was very nice. The lowdown is this:
  1. There is not any customization on the neck other than what's available on the 3D Builder. He did offer that he could talk to Alistair if I insisted (which I didn't)
  2. The best option for a 'narrower' neck is to go with the 1 11/16" nut width. He measured an X10 and it is 56mm at the 14th fret (as opposed to 59.5mm on the X20). He is going to measure an X20 and email me the measurement to confirm if the same.
  3. He believes that even with the narrower nut width, the bridge spacing will likely remain at 2 1/4". He will measure that on an X20, as well, and get back to me.

I will certainly wait for the answers before making this plunge. The upcharge for the change in nut width is $450USD. That's a hefty add on cost, putting the guitar over $4k if you are picking a veneer, which I would like to do. Whether it's worth it or not remains to be seen. I will mull that over when I hear back from him. With RainSong and McPherson's being in the mid $3k range, it definitely gives me pause to think.

No guitar company can be all things to all people. I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. And it really is not the worst. I have owned several RainSongs and will likely try a Sable before pulling the plug on either one, if the Emerald doesn't work out. At the end of the day, not much of a sacrifice, at all. Stay tuned.

Vince
Old 05-26-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

A fretboard width that paralleled the string path on 1.75" (or any) nut widths would make a difference to me for future purchases.

It is apparent on the Virtuo too, basically an electric guitar answer where the issue is even more readily apparent, and my primary reason for taking a pass on it for now.

I like every other aspect of my Emeralds, and their build quality is absolutely outstanding. No it doesn't hamper my meager skills much, but it is a definite preference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.27.47 AM.jpg (49.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-26-2022, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
I will certainly wait for the answers before making this plunge. The upcharge for the change in nut width is $450USD. That's a hefty add on cost, putting the guitar over $4k if you are picking a veneer, which I would like to do. Whether it's worth it or not remains to be seen. I will mull that over when I hear back from him. With RainSong and McPherson's being in the mid $3k range, it definitely gives me pause to think.
Which other options are you looking at? Over $4k sounds high, but I can see how you could get there if you went all out
Cordoba Stage

Old 05-26-2022, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Which other options are you looking at? Over $4k sounds high, but I can see how you could get there if you went all out
Pau Ferro Veneer
Ghost with K&K
Gold Gotohs
1 11/16" nut width
14" Radius
$4145 + shipping

Not really all that extravagant IMO, but it adds up. Even swapping for the LR Baggs, only brings it down to $3,870 (still over $4k with shipping). The nut width is the big one at $450. But it appears to be the only way to get a narrower neck.

Last edited by VJP5; 05-26-2022 at 01:45 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber