The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-28-2021, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X10 vs X20

I tried finding something in the AFG search engine, but I couldn't find anything. I'm considering ordering a X-20, but a X10 is also peaking my interest. The obvious differences are the string spacing at the nut and body size. My question though: If I chose a X-10, would the projection be enough that I wouldn't yearn for a X-20? Plugging in, there wouldn't be an issue, but for those porch moments, would I be better off with an X-20?

BTW, I have a slim X-10 with Nylon Strings. I love how it feels when I hold it. It was custom ordered by the previous owner, and the string spacing is wider than normal to accommodate nylon strings. It doesn't project too well when unplugged, but I attribute that mostly to the nylon strings and the slim depth. I imagine steel stringed X-10 at standard depth would make a world of difference. The other thing I'm maybe a little concerned about would be the string spacing at the nut, for I play without a pick almost exclusively. I could remedy this if I custom ordered, but there are standard models of each available in their current inventory.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

I'll be interested to hear what others say, but in the meantime you might check out this earlier thread, as well as this one.

BTW, the forum search engine isn't great. I usually have more luck with a google search for, in this case, something like this:
site:acousticguitarforum.com Emerald X10 vs X20

Last edited by KevinH; 12-28-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I have an X10 and an X20 - they really are very different guitars, even though they share that Emerald heritage. I appreciate both for what they do, but if I were looking to buy the better "acoustic" guitar between those two, I'd go for the X20. If I were looking to buy the best acoustic guitar that can give a bunch of different plugged-in tones, including very decent electric, I'd go for the X10.

The neck width and shape is different. The X10 has a more electric guitar feel to the neck (1 11/16" nut width), the X20 neck feels like a great acoustic (1 3/4" nut width).

The X20 is richer and deeper sounding; louder (to my ear). The X10, when played acoustically has a sweet balance. If I had to pick one over the other from a pure acoustic perspective, it would be the X20.

For more perspective, I play with a pick. I don't pound on any of my guitars, but you can drive the X20 harder than the X10. Putting it in wood guitar terms, acoustically, the X20 is the equivalence of Taylor's Grand Auditorium, the X10 is more mid-range like the Grand Concert line. For full disclosure, I have both of those in my wood guitars and appreciate them in a similar way.

I hope this has been helpful, but I'm not one to say, "You have to have this guitar." They are both great guitars, but our tastes will be different. My X10 is a "little bit custom," with a 24.6" scale; stock, they are both 25.5".

Good luck with the decisions.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have an X10 and an X20 - they really are very different guitars, even though they share that Emerald heritage. I appreciate both for what they do, but if I were looking to buy the better "acoustic" guitar between those two, I'd go for the X20. If I were looking to buy the best acoustic guitar that can give a bunch of different plugged-in tones, including very decent electric, I'd go for the X10.

The neck width and shape is different. The X10 has a more electric guitar feel to the neck (1 11/16" nut width), the X20 neck feels like a great acoustic (1 3/4" nut width).

The X20 is richer and deeper sounding; louder (to my ear). The X10, when played acoustically has a sweet balance. If I had to pick one over the other from a pure acoustic perspective, it would be the X20.

For more perspective, I play with a pick. I don't pound on any of my guitars, but you can drive the X20 harder than the X10. Putting it in wood guitar terms, acoustically, the X20 is the equivalence of Taylor's Grand Auditorium, the X10 is more mid-range like the Grand Concert line. For full disclosure, I have both of those in my wood guitars and appreciate them in a similar way.

I hope this has been helpful, but I'm not one to say, "You have to have this guitar." They are both great guitars, but our tastes will be different. My X10 is a "little bit custom," with a 24.6" scale; stock, they are both 25.5".

Good luck with the decisions.
Exactly what the Capt said! I have both .
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Captain. I think I know what I need to do. X-20 is probably the way to go for my situation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber