The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-21-2021, 07:29 AM

Default Mustang Micro + Bluetooth Speaker w/AUX input

I have two Mustang Micros. One at home and one in my main gig bag. I use them live direct to the PA, and at home into the AUX input of a Klipsch Groove or Bose Revolve+. The Groove II sounds better as I think the Bose has compression to protect its driver which makes the pick attack feel a little off. This is not perceptible if someone else is playing through that setup.

The Groove II and Mustang Micro fit in the pocket of my guitar gig bags, which is handy for jamming at acoustic guitar levels.

My only gripe with the Mustang is I can hear the noise gate pumping up and down the white noise as I start and stop playing. I have a Tonemaster and it has a heat sink on a quad core PC class ARM CPU card. I imagine the tiny processor to run off a tiny battery in a Micro has give up something.

The Mustang Micro has a lot of utility, but I think modeling and inexpensive amps are pretty good these days and all of them will sound fine at home.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 12-21-2021, 07:20 PM

I just put the amp in a chair with a quilt to muff it down and sit right over it. What's cool about this is you can just buzz outside and play.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:53 PM

Roland Micro Cube
Old 12-22-2021, 01:04 PM

Simple, non-computer, cool sounds quick, absolutely silent, affordable: Mustang Micro plus headphones.

More flexible, lots of options if you want to mess around, ties you to a computer, easy storage of various "recipes" and infinite adjustment after recording: computer software amp modeling, with headphones also silent. I GarageBand and Logic Pro have decent ones thrown in, I also use AmpliTube.

No louder than an apartment television or radio, and can be used without headphones? It's been a long time since I've spent much time at that level (I need to be silent to the level that someone in the next room doesn't even know I'm playing sometimes). Others may have the best current solutions. The current Fender Tonemasters are pricier, but if I had the budget and the need I'd think about those what with their attenuators. I used to use a Pignose, and actually like it's grungy sound. I have a decade or so 5 watt with attenuator to drop down lower Vox that can get pretty quiet that I'd probably choose from what I have.

One factor not mentioned yet: Some guitar players, particularly acoustic guitar players, don't care for listening on headphones. It's doesn't seem "real" and some of us find them uncomfortable over longer periods of wear. But headphones and a solid body electric is the only way to approach silence.

Fletcher-Munsen effect will tell you that nothing turned way down will likely sound "right" -- at least not without some EQ tweaks.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-24-2021, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

I wish I had come across this thread before buying a Fender Blues Junior (with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker) that’s way too loud, and then got a Tone King Ironman II Mini attenuator to knock it down…
Old 01-08-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Old thread I know but I’d say a used katana 50. You can find those in the 120 range and the sky is limit with regard to tone plus the built in wattage selector to bring it .5 watts. Although an earlier poster was on the same path with a head and small built in speaker. I’d say the 50 would be more versatile to go louder though.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Apartment? A Line 6 POD with a good set of headphones.
I agree with this 100%; you're not going to find anything that provides the huge variety of tones and FX you can get from one of these, from jazzy warmth to savage metal and all in between. They also make superb preamp-type tone/modeling pedals, best used with a compressor to mimic the tube 'sag'.

If there is a caveat or at least a caution, it would be that guitar through headphones-only can damage hearing if you're not careful. I once overdid it one night and had tinnitus for a couple days after....EEEEEEEEEEE.......

Another good, albeit unusual, choice might be the old Tubeworks TD-752 1x12 combo, IF you can find one (there's one on Reverb right now for $189.00 plus shipping). They sound quite good at lower volumes but also have the capability to get very loud indeed if you ever play out. Rated at 100W RMS and they're every bit of that, but being solid state, sound very clean at lower volumes and actually make decent acoustic guitar amps as well.

The clean channel is 100% solid state and maintains the tone whether you're playing at a whisper or blasting away; the distortion channel utilizes the circuitry of the famous Tubeworks 'Tube Driver' pedal , with a 12 ax7 preamp tube. Versatile as all get-out and quite inexpensive; I also like the fact that they only weigh about 20 lbs or so...nice & easy to load in and out at gigs.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 01-12-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Late to the thread but this weekend when buying my "starter" electric guitar [see footnote] I chose the Champion 50XL modeling amp. I wanted some basic effects without needing pedals and I wanted a full size (10" or 12") speaker. It seems to work really well in my music room at home, which is the only place it will ever be used. I like the clean channel and for nearly-clean with a bit of crunch I use the '65 Princeton setting with the gain turned down.

I briefly plugged a set of headphones into the "phones" jack and did not think it sounded much like the sound that comes out the speaker. Very clean sounding, sterile, lacking low end. And these were very HiFi headphones (Sennheiser HD650).

FOOTNOTE: I am sort of a re-beginner at electric guitar playing. So long ago that I hardly remember I briefly owned a Telecaster and one of those low-powered tube amps with a 6" speaker. Never did figure out how to get musical sounds of the darned thing so I quickly went back to my acoustic guitar(s).
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 01-12-2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:49 PM

I am using a 20w Blackstar, fantastic sound, modeling amp. In combination with my Pedalboard a really good choice.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:53 AM

My go to amp for my apartment is the Spark. It covers every base. The emulation is fantastic. It sounds fantastic. Pretty darn good build quality too. IMO if you had to pick one amp this is the amp.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:06 PM

Does anyone have experience with the Fender Champ 600 re-issue, and if so thoughts? I'm also looking for a new apartment amp and one of these popped up on my local facebook market place at a reasonable price.
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-18-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
Does anyone have experience with the Fender Champ 600 re-issue, and if so thoughts? I'm also looking for a new apartment amp and one of these popped up on my local facebook market place at a reasonable price.
I used one. It's a fairly dark amp and honky amp, and I didn't bond with it. I could use it with a Tele, but most other guitars didn't chime enough with it for my usually goals sound-wise. It was better when I used it as small "head" with a 2x10 open back cabinet I had.

Folks would tweak them with other speakers that would fit inside as well as the usual upgraded tubes etc. I think I remember that even the grill cloth may have been implicated in the darker sound.

Now of course, a dark or even honky sound can be something that others are aiming for. It might work well for a blues harp player for example.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-19-2022, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I wish I had come across this thread before buying a Fender Blues Junior (with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker) that’s way too loud, and then got a Tone King Ironman II Mini attenuator to knock it down…
Now that some time has gone by, how is that working? I found my Blues jr very loud (WAY too loud by the time it overdrives). I gave up and put a BigMuff in line, and it works well.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-19-2022, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

I also have the Blues Jr and believe it is more than I needed. but hey, I might gig.

What’s this big fuzz? A pedal? Dials down the power?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
I had one and found it unremarkable in every way. The Bugera V5 is great w/single coils but I find mine dark-ish with HB's.

Low watt "bedroom amp"? Blackstar Ht1R mkII- 1 watt, 2 channel tube amp

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars