The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-30-2021, 11:43 AM

Default "1954" Blackguard Tele

Last year I acquired a replica of a 1954 Blackguard Telecaster made by Alan Kennedy here in the UK. This was actually arranged by my friend Martin Simpson who has a "1953" Blackguard Tele by the same builder. Of course an original '54 Tele would be worth a great deal and thus, for most, pretty much unaffordable. However, I am astonished at the level of detail that Alan puts into his work; he is clearly obsessed with all things vintage Fender even, in this case, faithfully replicating the more faded washed out out finish that Fender introduced in early 1954. 1954 happens to be my birth year too, as 1953 happens to be Martin's. Oh, and yes, it plays and sounds really great having the snarl and bite of a period Telecaster...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVtuZG]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVzap1]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVuDdF]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVq39V]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVxvi7]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kVuDA9]

Cheers,

Ian
Old 04-30-2021, 11:49 AM

That is a stunning tele! Congrats. I'm usually not a fan of relic's, but that is one of the most tasteful I've seen.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Sweet! That's a very cool looking guitar.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:18 PM

Ian, that's a beautiful Tele. I like the distressed look. Now it's time for you to put your own dings in it .
Old 04-30-2021, 02:06 PM

Oh my!! My birth year is also 1954... perhaps the greatest year of the 20th century. Rock and roll invented - check. Stratocaster invented - check. Rodger and Ian invented - check. Who could argue?

That is really a magnificent looking tele. You are one lucky guy! Congrats! And you have Martin Simpson as a friend. Wow!!

I will be searching for a Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic later this year... maybe next year. whenever i find the right one at the right price. I am a fan of the relic look and yours is one of the best I've seen.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Very nice! The aging of the maple fingerboard is VERY impressive! To me, that is the ultimate challenge of realistic relic-ing, and he nailed it!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-30-2021, 03:11 PM

Is that an actual Fender neck that he used?
Old 04-30-2021, 03:47 PM

nice looking relic, congrats on your new guitar.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:30 PM

I like it!
Old 04-30-2021, 06:32 PM

Very cool guitar. However I am no friend of artificial aging and would have preferred one that reflects the state as they left the factory in those days.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:57 PM

Obviously Alan does remarkable work, and I'm sure this is a great guitar. I'm still curious as to whether or not it has an original or licenced Fender neck, for an important reason. Up to a point, this appears to be a fine guitar, with outstanding workmanship and attention to detail, and if it was delivered to you with a blank head stock, that would be (for me) the end of a great story. However, as soon as the Fender logo was applied, this guitar went from being a replica to being a forgery. Only Fender or their licensees can legally put that logo on an instrument. The fact that excellent repro logo decals are easy to obtain is irrelevant here. I assume that the OP and the builder both have honorable intentions, and clearly the communication between those two was open and above board. It's just a very slippery slope that can and should generally be avoided.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs264 View Post
Obviously Alan does remarkable work, and I'm sure this is a great guitar. I'm still curious as to whether or not it has an original or licenced Fender neck, for an important reason. Up to a point, this appears to be a fine guitar, with outstanding workmanship and attention to detail, and if it was delivered to you with a blank head stock, that would be (for me) the end of a great story. However, as soon as the Fender logo was applied, this guitar went from being a replica to being a forgery. Only Fender or their licensees can legally put that logo on an instrument. The fact that excellent repro logo decals are easy to obtain is irrelevant here. I assume that the OP and the builder both have honorable intentions, and clearly the communication between those two was open and above board. It's just a very slippery slope that can and should generally be avoided.
I take your point entirely. However, at no stage has anybody, the builder included, sought to claim that it is anything other than a replica, albeit a very good one. Had Alan gone as far to stamp a plausible serial number on the bridge plate then that would have been a very different story indeed...

Incidentally, a very important part of the definition of forgery is the deliberate intent to deceive, normally for pecuniary advantage; none of that applies here.

Cheers,

Ian
Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Charter Member

Man that is a lovely Tele. And nice friends you have there, Martin Simpson is a great player and person, it seems.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:51 AM

Holy mother of christ!!! this guy should be working for Fender custom shop. that level of detail is parallel to none for a relic guitar, I'd certainly love to play it =P
Old 05-09-2021, 03:25 PM

does it have the 1954 controller (bass, neck, bridge) circuit or does it have the more modern neck, middle , bridge configuration.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars