The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-03-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I think the word these days is "It's dope" which has a different meaning to me. A child of the 60's.

Good playing, thanks for posting the videos !
Pretty much not a day that goes by where, at some point, I think: that boy's a dope... probably not the same thing, huh? Of course, I didn't get into the "phat" saying. (Seriously, can you imagine saying "You look phat" to your spouse... the couch is a cold, lonely place.) I also never spelled "cool" as: kewl, kule, khul, or any other variation. Oh, and get off my lawn, ya darn kids!

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-03-2020 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:59 AM
Guest 928

And don't forget "bad." I'm old enough to remember when "bad" was bad. And then one day, out of the blue, "bad" became good. It's not easy being a dinosaur.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And don't forget "bad." I'm old enough to remember when "bad" was bad. And then one day, out of the blue, "bad" became good. It's not easy being a dinosaur.
I kinda liked that one. When someone would say, "You are really bad on the guitar," I could take that as a sense of accomplishment. I think the next complimentary statement should be, "Have you considered taking up a different instrument?"
Old 03-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
...It's not easy being a dinosaur.
Sure it is. Once you realize that you're extinct and have been surpassed by other humanoid species, you have nothing left to lose. That, to me, is freedom in its purest form...
Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Sure it is. Once you realize that you're extinct and have been surpassed by other humanoid species, you have nothing left to lose. That, to me, is freedom in its purest form...
This is the word of wisdom for the day. It is a great perspective on things. The only problem I have with it is that, despite my intentions to remember it, I will most likely forget in short order. Oh well, at least I too have freedom in its purest form then.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-04-2020, 06:12 PM

Default Incoming NGD: First Carbon Fiber

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled programming. The Sable arrived and I restrung it with Martin Lifespan 2 Mediums and used the medium action saddle.

The Sable is outstanding. Every bit as powerful as the D-28 Marquis. On par with the D-28 Authentic 1937. Perhaps other carbon guitars are louder, but I would not know. However, you could close your eyes and think you were listening to a wood guitar.

I set the action up the same as the D-28s and used the same Martin 13s.

They are the real deal. I may never do a bar gig with a wood guitar again. But, I won’t be selling my Martins either.

Not sure I like the pickup. I might do something different, eventually.

Unless something unforeseen happens, this guitar might be my favorite day to day (leave out on the stand) instrument in a long time.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The Sable is outstanding. Every bit as powerful as the D-28 Marquis. On par with the D-28 Authentic 1937. Perhaps other carbon guitars are louder, but I would not know. However, you could close your eyes and think you were listening to a wood guitar.
This is the thing that I wish people would get out of their minds.

What it's made of just simply doesn't matter. Is it a guitar you love the sound of? Do you love the way it plays? Would you pull it out of its case ahead of others you might own?

If 'yes' to any or all of these, you have a great guitar, regardless of what it's made of.

Enjoy it, play the hell out of it. From everything I've seen and heard, the Sable is a classic.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok, back to the regularly scheduled programming. The Sable arrived and I restrung it with Martin Lifespan 2 Mediums and used the medium action saddle.

They are the real deal. I may never do a bar gig with a wood guitar again. But, I won’t be selling my Martins either.

Unless something unforeseen happens, this guitar might be my favorite day to day (leave out on the stand) instrument in a long time.
This is exactly it with these guitars. Mine has become my go-to guitar because it is as good as any other guitars I have and I can keep it out on the stand, ready to play anytime.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-04-2020, 07:32 PM

Old 03-04-2020, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's how it starts. For the record (and I don't know who's keeping track), I have some nice wood guitars and some nice carbon fiber guitars (all Emeralds)... the CF guitars get almost all the play time.

Your Sable is a fine example of what carbon fiber can be - congrats!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yeah, that's how it starts. For the record (and I don't know who's keeping track), I have some nice wood guitars and some nice carbon fiber guitars (all Emeralds)... the CF guitars get almost all the play time.

Your Sable is a fine example of what carbon fiber can be - congrats!

Thanks! The Sable’s wooden siblings are safely back sung in their cases for another moist winter’s nap with humidifiers.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:25 AM

I have a Sable too, it's a great guitar.

It is definitely heavier than I expected, about the same as a wooden guitar perhaps. It compresses a lot when you strum hard. This effect is especially noticeable when using 80/20 strings.

I switched to PBs, and the compression is not as apparent. The tone is very clear and balanced.

I switched out the Element for an Anthem instead, and I like it more.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 PM

I acquired aTouring LE in their “lost camo” pattern that they use on their equally outstanding Mathews bows. Love the sound and feel of the touring as I can effortlously move back and forth between it and my taylor 814ce.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:28 PM

I haven’t heard a single complaint about these McPherson carbon fiber guitars. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-05-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I haven’t heard a single complaint about these McPherson carbon fiber guitars. Thanks for sharing!
Here's your first complaint -> I don't have one! Does that count?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber