The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Default New to me EBMM Axis Super Sport

On another thread I spoke of searching for a PRS or EBMM. Here is the one I ended up with. First EBMM I have ever held but felt pretty confident buying unplayed. EBMM serial search labels this a Black Cherry Burst.

Have had and played many US fenders and currently own an American Professional strat. Build quality of the EBMM IMHO is a notch above as much as I like the strat. I'm sure there are plenty on here with a lot of experience with these so I'll keep my comments brief. Yes, the neck is a tad on the small side but for me I've always been one that can adjust and when you factor in the high quality neck, fretwork it is easy to forget about that. In fact enjoy playing unplugged which is a true test of an electric.

Going to try and post some pics now. Sorry for the sideways photos?? Also the mess, I have some vintage 70's furniture and my little grands play guitar in there as well. She has an upgrade now however. Hope ya'll enjoy and have a wonderful Christmas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1677.jpg (50.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1678.jpg (45.6 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1679.jpg (40.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Beautiful! and look at that neck!

It seems like I've played most major company electrics and several boutique ones. I love my PRS a lot but nothing I have ever played compares to my EB Music Man. Like you too, I find myself playing it unplugged all of the time. There's something about the compact feel of these guitars. I know it was a design EVH was adamant about and still follows that design with his current guitars. That design fits right into my likes too. Now when I grab my Tele, it feels like I'm going so far out to plays the first few frets. With the MM it's all right there. No doubt the neck is a tad narrower than many guitars but I love it and it only took about 3 minutes to get used to it. For me any guitar neck is like a car. I can jump into any car and feel comfortable driving it within a few min.

The 4 over 2 is easily the best looking headstock out there imo.

Congrats!
Old 12-19-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Beautiful! and look at that neck!

It seems like I've played most major company electrics and several boutique ones. I love my PRS a lot but nothing I have ever played compares to my EB Music Man. Like you too, I find myself playing it unplugged all of the time. There's something about the compact feel of these guitars. I know it was a design EVH was adamant about and still follows that design with his current guitars. That design fits right into my likes too. Now when I grab my Tele, it feels like I'm going so far out to plays the first few frets. With the MM it's all right there. No doubt the neck is a tad narrower than many guitars but I love it and it only took about 3 minutes to get used to it. For me any guitar neck is like a car. I can jump into any car and feel comfortable driving it within a few min.

The 4 over 2 is easily the best looking headstock out there imo.

Congrats!
Thanks......somebody finally commented! I also have a Silhouette on the way so you know I'm sold!
Old 12-19-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar. I like the top and fingerboard too. Looks great!
Old 12-20-2019, 05:14 AM

Congrats! What kind of pickups are those? Are they stock? I'm not familiar with the EBMM pickups but I know those guitars are exceptional.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I firmly believe the Music Man headstock design is the best engineered there is. The 4x2 config makes sense and the tree-less posts are so much better than Fender.

Their active hum cancelling circuit is brilliant and they are reputed to make the best tremolo systems.

So possibly the best engineered guitars out there. I am completely GAS-ing for a EBMM Cutlass RS HSS. But they are quite expensive and I'm not sure if the neck geometry works for me. And they are too expensive to have in addition to my Taylors, which I absolutely love.

Soooooo, I'm not going to drop >$1200 for a used one just to test that idea.

Fortunately they have a cheap brand called Sterling. Recently they downgraded the Sterling line to make it cheaper.

I found a (hard to find) pre-downgraded Sterling version of this Cutlass (CT50 instead of the cheaper CT30).

I got it unassembled for under $200. I'll use this as a test drive to see if I really do love playing a Cutlass's geometry. If not I'll sell this one again and have run a free long term test drive.

It arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM

The pickups in the Axis SS are custom wound Dimarzios only made for the Axis guitars. I believe the Axis and the Axis SS have the same pups and I believe they are the same ones EVH worked with the on--maybe? I love the pups, better than any house-made PRS pups I've played. People try to source these pups from Dimarzio but they won't sell them. I believe they have something that they say is similar.

I've never played another MM besides my Axis SS but I believe all the necks are different. I also believe they are all considered incredible and awesome but different sizes, widths, thickness etc. The Axis necks might be the smallest in the line. The Steve Morse neck might be similar but just a tad wider.

Lot's of good prices on used EBMM. Mine new was 2,500, guy on reverb wanted 1,600, I offered 1,200 and he took it. Sight unseen and never played a real MM just a SUB and a Sterling and I liked both, so I knew I could not go wrong. And I sure didn't. The guitar was in mint condition and it's 100% put all of my other guitars away. It is by and FAR the best electric guitar I've ever held in my hands. Then it's also the best looking body to me. Kind of mix between a Tele and a....LP?? The sound plugged and unplugged is great. I love the location of the parallel to the ground pup switch. I had reservations about that but I think it's better than the Fender diagonal switch.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Very nice!

I recently tracked down an NOS Sterling Steve Lukather Sig. LK100D, with the "D" indicating that it has Steve's DiMarzio Transition pickups. When they did the price reduction those pickups were deleted and the name on the headstock changed to "LUKE." I've been utterly amazed at the quality of this animal and I'm thoroughly enjoying its playability and sound.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I got my Sterling Cutlass - truly full of good features and for under $250 used it's amazing.

Not for me though as I like my Taylor electrics much better so I'm selling mine on Reverb and eBay and am just calling it a break even test drive.

Great guitar and wonderfully made - just not my "cup of tea".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00v0v_k0sdJsS3l0k_1200x900.jpg (24.0 KB, 15 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars