The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Ordering an Emerald...

I'm thinking of moving to the next level and ordering an Emerald X20. What are some common options options that folks have either chosen or wish they'd chosen? I play primarily on the first five frets and will be using it for finger style. Thanks...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-02-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I'm thinking of moving to the next level and ordering an Emerald X20. What are some common options options that folks have either chosen or wish they'd chosen? I play primarily on the first five frets and will be using it for finger style. Thanks...
The stock Emerald configuration is really good for fingerstyle. 1.75” nut, wide string spacing at the nut and saddle. If you want a shorter scale length or maybe a specific neck profile (the X20 is relatively flat feeling), you could do that, but it’ll cost a lot more than stock. Or if you want a wood veneer, that’ll add several hundred - they’re really pretty but they don’t affect the sound or playability at all.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

For those purposes, I’d say the stock configuration would suit you nicely (unless any of the factors that Ray described are significant for you).

Then your choices come down to colour, pickup, tuner finish and what you want to carry it around in.

Of the for-cost options, the one that really appeals to me is the slotted headstock - but it’s an awful lot to pay for something which is purely aesthetic, and I couldn’t justify it.

Another advantage of staying stock is that there may be something already in stock that takes your fancy, avoiding the construction wait time
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I was thinking stock configuration with cocobolo veneer and no electronics but wanted to hear what others had to say....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-22-2019, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

That's great, RP... I think you'll love it. Very playable guitars. I went with the woody Maple and it's gorgeous. I liked the fact that Emerald would make me a narrow nut, but 1.75" works for most folks. Sweet guitars.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I play a combination of finger style and flat pick. I wish I had changed my standard configuration x20 to remove the last couple of frets. I don’t use them, and they get in my way on the rare occasion I play with thumb or finger picks. For some reason my hand doesn’t rest there for flat pick.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was thinking stock configuration with cocobolo veneer and no electronics but wanted to hear what others had to say....
The cocobolo is a very popular veneer - Emerald has made some lovely guitars with that.

My X20 is absolutely stock, with no pickup, and my soon-to-ship X20-7 pretty much the same, except for the extravagance of gold tuners.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

What ssjk said, loose the last 3 or 4 frets. They get in the way. That's the only thing I would change on mine.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 AM

Veneers are cool! They have so many nice ones to choose from. While I do like the look of normal carbon fiber I can't see me ever passing up on one of those veneers. I chose not to get a pickup on my X20 as I don't like their stock offerings. A pickup of your choice could always be added later. I did get the soundboard prep work done but I wouldn't recommend it. Mine was done sloppy and it impacted the movement of the soundboard so I ended up sanding it off.

I debated about removing 2 frets as I figured I wouldn't need 24 on an acoustic guitar but in the end I didn't get them removed and I have no issues with it. Other than that the stock neck, 1 3/4" nut, etc. are all fine in my book.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Cocobolo veneers are really really nice, and as noted above, very popular. But a word of warning - they need a lot of light to really show up as much. I have an X7 with Cocobolo and it's a beautiful veneer, and absolutely stunning in Emerald's glamour lighting shots. But in normal lighting, it's really hard to see. For a few months each winter, we stay in a rental in North Carolina and the room I use to play (and store) my guitars has a large window that gets direct sun much of the afternoon. And in direct sun, that veneer is lovely and quite visible. But the rest of the year, at home, mine lives in a room with plenty of light, but where it's never actually in direct sunlight, and the veneer is basically an afterthought most of the time. You can see the stripe of sapwood down the middle, but most of the subtle beauty of that top is just lost most of the time.

I love the guitar and it's not going anywhere, but if I had to do again, I might have gotten one of the lighter veneers that I think would show up better in typical light. Just something to be aware of.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 09-22-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
What ssjk said, loose the last 3 or 4 frets. They get in the way. That's the only thing I would change on mine.
They *might* get in the way, depending on how long your arms are, how you hold the guitar, and your playing style.

I’m a relatively normally proportioned 5’ 10” (I think ), and my picking hand is a good 2” away from the end of the fretboard in any normal playing position, sitting or standing.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Guest 928

RP;

I've been through a number of Emerald guitars and have found them all to be marvelous instruments as well as pieces of art. I've explored various CF colors and veneers, various scales, and various headstocks. Emerald guitars have been one of my few indulgences and so I've played around with a number of orders.

My recommendation would be that you take the time to design what you want, and then see if any of the stock Emeralds fit your desire. If not, you might do well to take a bit more time, accumulate the necessary budget, and order your dream guitar.

Just saying.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:23 AM

RP, when I ordered a custom X20-12 the two custom things were 24.6" scale and only 20 frets. For a twelve string the shorter scale / lower tension really helps with playability, and I've never used any fret above 19 even on a six string. The higher frets did sometimes get in the way of my strum stroke, given the way my long arm drapes across the bevel (not an issue on old fashioned square-edged wood guitars). I found the cost of these two options to be quite reasonable.

When a friend expressed interest in buying my stock X20 I priced out a replacement with exactly those options. But he passed on the deal so I never actually ordered it. I find as I age that shorter scales feel better to me, although I'm not [knock on carbon fiber] having trouble playing 25.5" yet.

As for pickups, the last three guitars I've bought did not have them, as I stopped performing a few years ago. Why pay for something I'm never going to sue? If ordering w/o pickup, maybe have them prep the inner surface for eventual installation. A smoother finish is needed on the bridge area inside so that a pickup can be glued properly. If you order from stock, most Emeralds have the less expensive VTC pickup already installed. For the X20-12 my wife suggested that I go for a pickup, just in case. It is never easier than letting the factory do it.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
How pricey an option is that??? Thanks to all of you for some great suggestions...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I've ordered/owned several customs now. Always great fun. My first was a cocobolo X20 and it was arguably the best of all of them. I went with a short scale of 24.6", a custom neck carve with a soft V and a K&K. Looking back if I was going to change anything the biggest thing would be the cocobolo veneer which while beautiful under bright lights is very dark and subdued under normal light. I think the lighter color veneers end up looking better. Royal Ebony for instance is really cool. The slotted headstock is neat but a ton of work for Alistair who carves each one by hand and therefore is a pricey option and not worth the added for me. A few people have done the custom fretboard end shape down at the soundhole and that looks cool. It all comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. The sky is nearly the limit on customs with Emerald.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber