The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Guest 928

Default New journey nylon string guitar!

No, it's not here yet. I'm just tweaking Rob a bit to see how it's going. I've viewed nylon string acoustic guitars as the biggest challenge for CF makers. The classical nylon stung guitar has had 500 years of R&D. Rainsong, Blackbird, and Emerald have all taken the challenge and done well. Now Journey is taking the challenge. I can hardly wait. What's up Rob?
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 AM

A healthy addiction Evan
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Guest 928

A good addiction, yes. But costly if I tried to keep all the CF guitars that I've liked. However, by giving them all a try and then passing them along at decent prices I've managed to play a wide range of CF nylon guitars and keep the two that suit me best.

I suppose that I will be one of the first to purchase a Journey nylon just to keep the thrill going. There is something addicting about the revolution occurring with CF musical instruments and I have really enjoyed having a small part of the fun.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:52 AM

I have a similar addiction with strings.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Guest 928

Sir;

Any insights on nylon strings?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM

Unfortunately not! But don't get me gassing for another guitar.

I have La Bella nylon strings on my Cordoba mini, which have a wound 3. They do the job well enough but the 2nd string is a bit floppy.

And that's all I've got.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

I'm just bringing this up as bait for Rob. I've enjoyed Journey's journey and appreciated the effort it takes to work the new frontier of CF guitar materials, shapes and sound engineering. I've seen a number of CF companies come and go, but Journey has held fast, worked through one obstacle after another, and made it to a sweet product.

Rob has said that Journey is working on a nylon string CF instrument. I am waiting with bated breath. Competing with 500 years of classical guitar R&D is not easy, but Rob promised. So I am holding his toes to the fire. So where is it at, Rob?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:23 PM

Darn you Evan....once again you pour GAS on the fire :-)
Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Guest 928

I contacted Rob and told him that his presence is requested--we want answers. Journey has been a nice and innovative addition to the CF field. It's not exactly nice, but I really enjoyed Journey's hard run to its first CF guitar. It's sort of like one of those fairy tales where the heroes run into one obstacle after another until finally the sun breaks out, the birds sing, and a new guitar is born. I suspect the development of a nylon Journey cannot be easy and look forward to some narrative.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 AM

Hey Guys, I'm so sorry I missed this dialogue. I'm subscribed to it now. We've just moved to a larger workshop and we're crazy busy with production. We've finished initial tooling on the components and bracing for the classical, but are working on neck and fretboard. However, we're pushing the classical launch back to early 2017 because I finally put together an engineering team with the ability to design a product that's been on my heart for three years now - let's say it's as innovative as the Overhead, but something entirely different. We'll keep you posted as any progress is made...
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks for chiming in, Rob!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Guest 928

Oh Rob, you big tease. I hope you realize that I am getting older by the minute and I can't wait forever for your new nylon.

And to have placed your own heart's desire ahead of mine, that's just unmannerly.

On the other hand, guessing what your heart's desire might be is an interesting proposition.

Alistair has done the cf harp/guitar, Joe has done the cf Uke, others have done the violin and cello. Let me guess, you've always wanted a CF banjo. Keep us posted on how this is going.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:44 AM

Hey Evan, so sorry for any letdown here. We'll bring a classical to the market in the not-so distant future, but this other product will definitely get your attention. Trust me, you'll be glad we put this first.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:15 AM
Guest 928

Rob;

A 7 yr old boy on the drums, a 4 yr old grooving girl, a drooling baby boy, and a patient wife--This family is ready for a banjo.

So, if not a banjo, a suitcase guitar? Or maybe a dulcimer? The suspense is killing me.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
...A 7 yr old boy on the drums, a 4 yr old grooving girl, a drooling baby boy, and a patient wife--This family is ready for a banjo...
Sure sounds like it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber