The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-18-2012, 01:07 AM

Default 'Albert Lee' Has any other as inovative ever gotten less recognition?

Ray Steven's fictitious "Guitarzan" got more recognition, and yet...Albert Lee stylized commercial music lead guitar like no other...from Rock and Roll, to Country, to ...Joe Cocker R&B...Dude is...possibly just what Clapton labeled him...best guitarist in the world, and yet...who knew?
Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM

Clapton has also called Buddy Guy "the best guitarist alive," so what does that tell you?
Ever since Charlie Christian burst upon the scene in the 1930's, there have been so many great guitarists out there that choosing one who stands out above all the others is strictly a matter of taste.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 AM

Plenty. Guitar alone is a skill not likely to vault you to fame and fortune. But that's probably not why Lee or thousands of others pursued it.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 AM

In terms of innovators who had a comparable commercial impact yet relatively little recognition outside of guitar players, I'd say no, there haven't been many.

When he took the stage with Vince Gill etc. at Crossroads a couple years back, I overheard a lot of, "Alvin Lee looks different!"
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 AM

Well, what about Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton? Roy could do things on his Telecaster nobody even dreamed of until he came along, and Danny Gatton could play rings around just about anyone.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 AM

i think the most innovative player that received the least recognition is someone none of us have heard of.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Well, what about Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton? Roy could do things on his Telecaster nobody even dreamed of until he came along, and Danny Gatton could play rings around just about anyone.
Yep, great guitar players. In fact, stylistically I'd say that Roy Buchanan probably brought something more distinctive to the table. But Albert Lee's style of Tele picking was the sound that so many in country music aped in his wake, for better or worse. Vince Gill and Brad Paisley have acknowledged his influence many times.

Sticking with the Tele world, you could argue that James Burton's playing was even more influential than Lee's (I'm sure Lee would cite Burton as an influence). And of course he's also not a household name.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Albert Lee and a whole host of other great electric and acoustic guitar players will be at the 2nd Annual LA Guitar Festival in a few weeks. Can't Wait!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-18-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post

Sticking with the Tele world, you could argue that James Burton's playing was even more influential than Lee's (I'm sure Lee would cite Burton as an influence). And of course he's also not a household name.
He isn't ?

James Burton is a household name in my household ...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Clapton has also called Buddy Guy "the best guitarist alive," so what does that tell you?
Ever since Charlie Christian burst upon the scene in the 1930's, there have been so many great guitarists out there that choosing one who stands out above all the others is strictly a matter of taste.
So true HHP......zABDART LOL, But, .. MC1....Hahaha ...you guys are all great,.. Hmmmm, Sounds Like Roy....
Old 07-19-2012, 12:48 AM

Yes Eric M...you're right, James Burton was one of, if not Albert Lee's, #1,well, at least his #1 AmericanGuitar Hero, AND he experienced the reality of following in Burton's shoes as lead for Emmylou Harris, when Burton was called back to play for Elvis....
Great players out there... I thank God for them all...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM

Incomplete list of great Tele players:
Jimmy Bryant
Roy Nichols
James Burton
Steve Cropper
Roy Buchanan
Robbie Robertson
Albert Lee
Danny Gatton
Who else have you got?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Albert Lee has gotten plenty of recognition, undoubtedly.

Not as much as the guy, who I think, affected him more than anyone, namely Clarence White.

Go here and scroll down just below the second video clip and you'll see a soundclip for Muleskinner, the opening track on their record:

http://www.adioslounge.com/2011/05/c...all-back.html#

That one grows hair.

HE
Hear my new one here: http://howardemerson.com/music2.html
Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Jimmy Bryant
Roy Nichols
James Burton
Steve Cropper
Roy Buchanan
Robbie Robertson
Albert Lee
Danny Gatton
Who else have you got?
As you've said...the list is in-exhaustive I'm sure...and depending on our definition of "Great".. as well as genre...So many awesome Chicken Pickers, but, wow, Rock, Jazz and Blues...Tele's are everywhere...
David Gilmore, and Syd Barret played Teles...George Harrison, Merle Haggard, Roy Nichols, Brent Mason of course, and dito= Jimmy Page, not exclusive, but, used it a lot with the Yardbirds. Muddy Waters, Keith Richards, Marty Stewart...and his cousin....lol, They Both pop!!!
Yeah, this could go on forever...
Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Jimmy Bryant
Roy Nichols
James Burton
Steve Cropper
Roy Buchanan
Robbie Robertson
Albert Lee
Danny Gatton
Who else have you got?
Good list of Tele players. I'd include Ray Flacke, Arlen Roth, and Clarence White.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars