The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-22-2011, 07:45 AM

THe thread has wavered a bit, but the OP got good advice right off on page one.

Mine stays the same--save just a couple more hundo and look used. You could end up with an amazing guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
Gibby,
I find it interesting that you have a screen name of "gibbyguy", yet you question the OP's preferrence for the 335...

Personally, the only Gibson I'll ever have is a Les Paul, but that's me. I agree with you that there are "good alternatives to the Gibson 335", but if the guy wants a 335, he WANTS a 335!
Thanks, that brought me to my original thought. Sometimes I start with a thought and go a different direction as I write. First I wasn't trying to question whether the OP wanted a Gibson ES-335, but his reasons for wanting one i.e. get a certain sound/feel==, not that I suggest he should want another Gibson model (Es-135, etc.). To me if there's a certain sound he's after then maybe the Gibson 335 is his only choice.
I also am a Les Paul guy, '78 Les Paul Custom bought new in 1978 w/HSC for $670 (should have bought the 335 back then too). I have always wanted a 335 sunburst with block inlay. I could have purchased a knock off in the 500-1000 range, but just couldn't bring myself to spend over $2000 for the Gibson. I guarantee you If I wanted one that bad I would get the Gibson at any cost. Instead a few years ago I spent $750 on new Gibson ES-135 shipped to me. I like its sound, it fills that semihollow body sound gap I had.

I am not necessarily a Gibson loyalist, though I really like them. My dad played a '64 Hummingbird, which I inherited. When I was younger there was no other guitar but Gibson. I have since learned in the last 35 years there are other good guitars out there, even some decent knock offs.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
I think it would be hard to beat an Ibanez semi-hollow bodied-guitar.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=514208
+1

I have an Artcore, and for anyone to say they are not in the ball park has probably not played them or compared them back to back with the comparable models.

After checking around town, I purchased my Artcore online and have been amazed at the build quality, sound quality, and feel.

Jack
Old 03-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot, all of You guys.

I should try to stick to the best - or I'm gonna have my eyes crossed when 3-35 is around but not in my hands.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyguy View Post
Thanks, that brought me to my original thought. Sometimes I start with a thought and go a different direction as I write. First I wasn't trying to question whether the OP wanted a Gibson ES-335, but his reasons for wanting one i.e. get a certain sound/feel==, not that I suggest he should want another Gibson model (Es-135, etc.). To me if there's a certain sound he's after then maybe the Gibson 335 is his only choice.
I also am a Les Paul guy, '78 Les Paul Custom bought new in 1978 w/HSC for $670 (should have bought the 335 back then too). I have always wanted a 335 sunburst with block inlay. I could have purchased a knock off in the 500-1000 range, but just couldn't bring myself to spend over $2000 for the Gibson. I guarantee you If I wanted one that bad I would get the Gibson at any cost. Instead a few years ago I spent $750 on new Gibson ES-135 shipped to me. I like its sound, it fills that semihollow body sound gap I had.

I am not necessarily a Gibson loyalist, though I really like them. My dad played a '64 Hummingbird, which I inherited. When I was younger there was no other guitar but Gibson. I have since learned in the last 35 years there are other good guitars out there, even some decent knock offs.

Congrats on the 135. I've also been bitten by the 335, but not for what Gibson charges. And I have too many guitars already! But a coworker offered a Washburn HB-30 for a "Benjamin"...I just couldn't pass it up. Sure it needed a LOT of work...(I coulda' bought a new Epi 335), but after the work was done, it was hard NOT to fall in love with this Washburn.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars