The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM

the shop I go buy alot of my stuff from just got in an excellent cond. Solid body like mine. Tamo ash top all satin finsish. price is very good too. I can send link to anyone who would like to see it.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 AM

Default Cool! Who Buys Taylor Solid Body? sometimes Not Taylor acoustic owners!

I found this thread, and this forum by searching "Who Plays Taylor Solid Body". What a great place! I felt this was as good a thread as any to introduce myself and to respond to the O.P.

I've been playing acoustic for 38 years and crossed over to electric about 6 years ago when I bought a SAGA kit. That got me into electrics, then building and repairing guitars. In the past few years my GAS has really taken over, plus I've started a small business in guitar repair taken some courses with a Luthier and have built a few myself!

At any rate, I was looking for a suitable instrument to buy with some inheritance money and was really looking for a hollow body electric, like a Gretsch Country Gentleman or ES-335. I saw the Taylor in a local music store and thought "You sure look pretty, but pretty won't make me take you home".

Then I played it. Man this guitar has the tone of a hollow body without the bulk. It's comfortable like a Strat and yet feels a bit like a Les Paul without the heft. Plugged in, it has an incredible range, I can play very acoustic like passages, then quickly switch to strong blues.

Can you tell I'm a bit taken by this guitar?
At any rate, this is my first Taylor (Other than my Taylor Coach travel Trailer )

Here's a pic

1984 Ibanez RS440 Roadstar II
1998 Washburn J9-VG Washington
1998 Ibanez GAX 70 heavily modded
2005 SAGA Les Paul Kit
2006 Parts Caster Tele
2007 Eastwood Classic 12
2007 Taylor SB-C1 Walnut Solid Body Custom Type 1 pickups
2008 Dillion SG P90's and Custom wood accents
2009 CK Custom Guitars Tele #1
2011 Baby Taylor
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
Here's a pic

That's the same guitar I have...great great guitar!!! I've owned many strats and 1 les paul along with other electrics through the years and the Taylor is the best I've played yet. Somehow when I play with my band, I feel more inspired with this guitar. Sometimes I do miss the single coil neck sound of a strat though

Good stuff!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 03-31-2011, 02:06 PM

My SB Custom in walnut looks similar to the one above as well. I just love how the walnut figure looks as if there is a raging fire burning in the heart of the instrument. By the way, welcome to the forum, cknowles!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalz View Post
^^ This guy

This is one amongst Fenders, Gibson/Epiphones, ESP, Schecter, and others. Each guitar has it's own sound and feels good on certain songs...but my Taylor is my favorite, and the only electric guitar that I own who lives in a case and not in a stand when I'm not playing it.
Chalz,

It appears that the headstock facing of your guitar not only matches its pickguard, but is also bound in white (plastic?). If my eyes aren't deceiving me, were those styling choices available to you as factory-ordered options, or mods that you did [or had done] yourself, post-purchase?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I found this thread, and this forum by searching "Who Plays Taylor Solid Body". What a great place! I felt this was as good a thread as any to introduce myself and to respond to the O.P.

I've been playing acoustic for 38 years and crossed over to electric about 6 years ago when I bought a SAGA kit. That got me into electrics, then building and repairing guitars. In the past few years my GAS has really taken over, plus I've started a small business in guitar repair taken some courses with a Luthier and have built a few myself!

At any rate, I was looking for a suitable instrument to buy with some inheritance money and was really looking for a hollow body electric, like a Gretsch Country Gentleman or ES-335. I saw the Taylor in a local music store and thought "You sure look pretty, but pretty won't make me take you home".

Then I played it. Man this guitar has the tone of a hollow body without the bulk. It's comfortable like a Strat and yet feels a bit like a Les Paul without the heft. Plugged in, it has an incredible range, I can play very acoustic like passages, then quickly switch to strong blues.

At any rate, this is my first Taylor (Other than my Taylor Coach travel Trailer )

Here's a pic

I really like mine too. here is a clip that shows WHY it rings like a hollowbody and it lighter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DumP5...feature=relmfu
Old 03-31-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Here's a pic

That guitar is outrageous! Never seen a prettier electric guitar.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Talent View Post
Chalz,

It appears that the headstock facing of your guitar not only matches its pickguard, but is also bound in white (plastic?). If my eyes aren't deceiving me, were those styling choices available to you as factory-ordered options, or mods that you did [or had done] yourself, post-purchase?
There's no binding on the headstock veneer, but the veneer itself is slightly beveled so the white plastic under the red pearloid gives the illusion of plastic binding. Things that aren't visible are the 6105 frets and the 10" fretboard radius. None of these are factory options, nor were they mods I made, but this is the way the guitar was built. It is an early-mid 2007 model if that provides any insight to it's being.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:45 PM

I don't own a Taylor solid body, but I've played more than a few and I like them. I play acoustic mostly but if I was looking to purchase another solid body guitar the Taylors would be under serious consideration. I like the Standards quite a bit.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacking Talent View Post
Chalz,

There's no binding on the headstock veneer, but the veneer itself is slightly beveled so the white plastic under the red pearloid gives the illusion of plastic binding. Things that aren't visible are the 6105 frets and the 10" fretboard radius. None of these are factory options, nor were they mods I made, but this is the way the guitar was built. It is an early-mid 2007 model if that provides any insight to it's being.
Thanks! I will say that while I think these are terrific instruments, Mr. Taylor's legendary eye -- which gave us the beautiful curves of both the acoustic and semi-hollow product lines -- doesn't seem (to me, anyway, YMMV, of course) to have been as successfully inspired when it came time to devising the shapes of the solidbody electrics, which is a major factor in my having never acquired one. Yours, however, I think works really well!

Last edited by Lacking Talent; 03-31-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

leeasam that was a cool video, I had not seen it yet.

BTW, here's a headstock shot.
There's a delicate inlay that encircles the ebony on the headstock, which is mirrored down the whole neck.

Chris
1984 Ibanez RS440 Roadstar II
1998 Washburn J9-VG Washington
1998 Ibanez GAX 70 heavily modded
2005 SAGA Les Paul Kit
2006 Parts Caster Tele
2007 Eastwood Classic 12
2007 Taylor SB-C1 Walnut Solid Body Custom Type 1 pickups
2008 Dillion SG P90's and Custom wood accents
2009 CK Custom Guitars Tele #1
2011 Baby Taylor
Old 04-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Talking SB2 Sp

I just did. Bought it this weekend at the Dallas International Guitar Festival. The Taylor guy said it was one of four prototypes. Plays like a dream. (Those are not scratches, my lens was dirty, it's in perfect condition.)

Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM

WOW!! Sweet! first double cut I have seen outside of Taylors web site pics. I like the pick up config.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM

I seen a few here and there but have never played one. It's kind of a mystery as to the type of guitar it's supposed to be. Folks say it sounds like a Gibson es-335, but it looks like a Les Paul and has humbuckers, and it's built like a strat (the top is basically a pickguard and it's got a bolt-on neck). I am now very interested to hear what it sounds like. Will give her a test drive.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:17 PM

Default ..

The action/neck is first rate. I'm a strat player, so I was looking for something with a humbucker in it. This set-up is nice because I can go from an almost strat sound to LP type sound (and a mind boggling array of combinations/tones in between). I used it with an OCD OD pedal, it was pretty nice if I do say so. The tone knob is a little different. Pretty normal first 2/3's, last 1/3'rd is kind/sort of a mid boost. The configuration I got has a huge span of tones. My buddy bought the pure humbucker, it was nice also. I think I am also going to pick up the 2 Vintage Alnico Humbuckers loaded pick guard so I can have more a rocker/metalish guitar on occasion. I am not a big shredder so take it for what it's worth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars