The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2003, 07:39 PM

Default Mandolin on the way

I've got a Kentucky KM 250S mandolin heading my way. I've always been interested in one, but never pursued it. Just recently, both my daughter & youngest son have shown an interest in learning to play the mandolin, and that was all it took.
I feel that the mandolin will be easier for both to play, compared to a guitar. My daughter is already playing the violin, so she'll be accustom to the set up, as far as strings.
I've been reading on Mandolin Cafe where some people who played guitar quit playing once they started playing the mandolin. I can't ever imagine not playing a Taylor, but I'm sure my playing time will decrease when the mando gets here.
Do any of you have any experience with the 250S model ? I'd appreciate any imput. Thanks.

( @ )===:::
Old 01-22-2003, 08:01 PM

Mark - Congratulations on your mando acquisition.

Haven't played the Kentucky 250S, but enjoy my 150S. I did spend four years of my life training with the 2nd chair violinist of the Cleveland Symphony Orchestra. Wouldn't consider violin to mandolin a natural progression but I've never regretted a moment of my time with any string instrument.

May you and the kids enjoy your mandolin experience.

RC
Old 01-23-2003, 03:35 PM

COWriter,

I didn't mean it was a natural progression. I was referring to the string set-up being the same, as far as GDAE. My daughter walks through the house plucking on her violin, almost like a mandolin already. She just needs to learn how to use a pick.

( @ )===:::
Old 01-23-2003, 03:56 PM

Mark - oops....allow me to clarify. Was actually referring to my own experience in moving from violin to mandolin. Sorry 'bout that

RC
Old 01-23-2003, 08:58 PM

Ooh . . . Ooh! I got one on order too! I used to play a little mandolin about 20 years ago. Recently got the urge to get one. So I ordered a Michael Kelly. Unfortunately, I probably won't get it 'til late March.

Let us know about it when it comes in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification