The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Which amp would you buy tomorrow?

This question has been addressed in other threads in the past in a round about way but it is down to two amps, one of which I may take purchase this week.

SWR Strawberry Blonde or Fender Acoustasonic JR.

I like the sound of both, but I just was interested in some feedback from you guys (and girls)

Any thoughts, comments??

Scott
Old 01-19-2003, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

I had an Acoustasonci Jr and it was a fine amp. Later on I had the Acoustasonic 30. The Strawberrys are the equal of the Jr at least, but I discovered a brand worth looking at, thanks to the members of this forum.

Check out the Ultrasound amps. I recently bought a 30 watt amp and it's louder, smaller, lighter and produces a more realistic acoustic tone than my Acoustasonic Jr or subsequent Acoustasonic 30 ever did. It's easy to dial in a good tone and is absolutely a joy to work with. By the way, it's less money... but don't tell !

Old 01-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree 100% w/ stratokatsu .. Ultrasound all the way!

Much more transparent sounding than either amp you mentioned, as well as very quiet operation (unlike the Fender Jr IMHO)

If you have to purchase one of the ones you listed (both of which are more expensive amps in general btw), I guess I would say the SWR.

As you can tell, I am NOT a Fender Acoustasonic fan...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:58 AM

I just got back from NAMM, and almost EVERY acoustic guitar company was using UltraSound to demo their guitars!
Old 01-20-2003, 09:47 AM

AER AcousticubeII...

Love it!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:40 AM

If I have to pick one of the two that were mentioned in the orginal post I would go with the Strawberry Blond.

If I could make another choice I would take a very long look at the UltraSound before I made a final decision.
Midnight Shadow
Old 01-20-2003, 10:43 AM

do you think the Ultrasounds sond better than the Genz Benz 85W? or the SWR Cal Blonde?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:21 AM

I played several other brands and it came down to one choice, the Ultrasound. I have the AG50DS2. The sound is very natural, the price is very affordable and it is made in America.

I don't know why they call it the "50". I was speaking with the company rep and he told me it was actually rated at 61 watts.

If you can wait a little while, take a look at the new model coming out. I hear it will have two guitar imputs, the mic input and a footswitch imput.

Taylor 810 BE
Taylor 718 fltd
GS Mini
Ultrasound AG-50DS2

Col. 3:16
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Scott, This is an on-going subject that will always remain a mystery. The only true way to find the "right" amp for you is to play all the amps you are interested in with the actual guitar that you will be using. The variables from amp to amp and from ear to ear make it virtually impossible to come up with a "standard" amp for all.
Old 01-20-2003, 01:30 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

If sound quality, price, and portability are the factors you're looking at. Ultrasound has no competition in my opinion. I fully support their claim that they are the best sounding amp under $1000. The AG-50DS2 is my favorite. I think it strikes the best balance between price, portability and features in the Ultrasound lineup. I have the AG-50DS2 and could not be happier with it... well, maybe if it had a tilt up leg. But the thing weighs less than 25lbs and puts out a clean pure acoustic tone that is like your guitar... only louder. Big thumbs up!

If you're looking for the Holy Grail of acoustic amps, check out:
http://www.daedalusmusic.com/

The Daedalus amps are without a doubt the cleanest most pure system that you can get for your acoustic. They are purpose-built amp systems using huge Hafler power amps and preamps from RANE and Pendulum. They're probably overbuilt, but that's why they're the Holy Grail of acoustic amps. The cabinets are solid-wood and the components are heavy. But they are solid as a rock, and even the smallest system they offer will put out enough power for most any use.

JR
Old 01-20-2003, 04:37 PM

Not the fender as they are way too noisy. I'm having to rethink what amp I'll end up buying since now, one of the most important things is that they'll have XLR ins on all channels. I know some amps have that on their mic channels but it may be a while before we start seeing XLR's on all channels. I also need the amp to have a foot controller. When Ultrasound adds these features to the AG50DS2, I'll pull the trigger. All I've heard are great reviews of this amp.

<>< Red ><>

814ce
USA Custom Strat (MY BABY! thanks Tommy)
PRS Singlecut (10-top with Paua birds)
Vox AD120
Ultrasound 50-DS?
Female Golden Retriever-Zoe
Male Golden Retriever-Rusty (aka Bad Bad Rusty Brown)
Old 01-20-2003, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the input, I will have to find a store in my radius that carries these ultrasound amps. All rave reviews!!
I did play both the Strawberry Blonde and the Fender Ac. Jr today and have to say the SWR reproduced a closer acoustic guitar sound but the Fender seemed to have a better sounding reverb and I liked the chorus. (and the XLR input) This is a tough decision but I will check out the ultrasounds next!!

Thanks

Scott
Old 01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Wow...So is the consensus that Ultrasound amps are better than the SWR Blondes? This is surprising, as they are significantly less expensive! If so, then they are truly a great deal. I am sure that the acoustic makers at NAMM wanted to demonstrate how good their instruments were, so finding Ultrasound amps at most of their booths is very telling. I would find it hard to believe that they had them based on lower cost. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Got a Yorky instead

I didn't buy the Ultrasound 50 because it had no mic input, & I had to turn the treble control all the way up to get what I thought was a nice clear, snappy sound on the high strings. Went w/ a Yorkville - would've liked a CA Blonde, but couldn't afford one. Also thought the Ultrasounds were a little overpriced, considering none of them except the 100 watt model had mic inputs.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I gotta throw a little more fuel on this fire. I may be the exception here but I do not like the ultrasounds. I tried em out at First Quality. Too thumpy, just didn't do it for me. Tried the little AER too, didn't like it. Took a cal blonde home and after a week of a/b'ing with the genz benz 85w I sent the cal Blonde back, too honkee. I still wasn't happy with the benz at that point and ended up trying a acoustasonic jr and bought it on the spot. It is not noisy through the 1/4 input side. The xlr side is very noisy. Am I totally thrilled with the jr? No. I am anxious to try the new Genz Benz Shenandoah 200 Delux. It looks interesting. This all goes back to my original post. There is NO standard amp for acoustic guitars. Different guitars/pickups/players/ears/strings/styles/band situations all come into play here. You just have to seek them out, play them and see what trips your trigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification