The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2002, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve314
To my ear, the acoustic sound is somewhat thin, with the possible exception of an Elite I played the other day.

Steve
Steve,
I hope that is my Elite you were so impressed with!!!!!!!!!
Matt

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-31-2002, 03:43 PM

By the way, the Elite I am talking about is an 1778T Elite T. It is an all black textured finish mid depth bowl, with a AA spruce top. This model is the best sounding Ovation I have ever heard. Nice guitar! I like the techno stuff Ovation offers, as much as I like rosewood and ebony. I have owned 3 other Ovations and think they are nice solid guitars. They do sound awesome plugged in.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-21-2003, 03:20 PM

Had to bump this one. Having 3 guitar players in the family and only 2 acoustics we decided to go guitar shopping for my daughter last weekend. We went to a place call Music Go Round which is a franchise chain that sells used musical instruments, equipment and accessories. Well to make a long story short, the best guitar in the room in our price range was a 1982 Ovation Legend. I had posted earlier on this thread about my feelings towards Ovations and so I was rather surprised when I picked it up and strummed a few chords. It doesn't ring like a Taylor or Guild etc, but it ain't all that bad. It's the big bowl so it has decent tone unamplified. I still don't like it plugged in, especially this one as the electronics are 20 years old. It has a nice sunburst finish on the spruce top, a 5 piece neck, gold tuners, oak leaf rosette, hard shell case and the back and sides are...well they are helicopter blade material It is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old guitar and probably worth the $300 (can I say that?).

We also ended up buying a used Fender Precision bass for my daughter so it looks like the Ovation will go to the wife and I get my Guild back. I have always maintained control of my Taylor.

BTW the model # is 1667

810 (1999)
Guild F40 Bld (1973)
Gretsch Viking (1966)

Last edited by ewwess; 01-21-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:30 PM

I am currently selling my Ovation on eBay, (see link on sig), and I am surprised at the interest that it has been getting. I always liked it but some people sure love the roundbacks.

Wayne

'01 410ce-LTD
'01 514ce
'00 JKSM
'00 XXV-GA
Old 01-21-2003, 03:40 PM

I borrowed a friend's ovation to take to guitar class before I found my Taylor. It was a beautiful guitar--tobacco sunburst--but unfortunately, it cracked all the way down from the bridge to the end, clear through. Not sure if it was lack of humidity or what...This was probably a late 80's model.

1997 814C
2002 Big Baby
Old 01-21-2003, 07:00 PM

I had 2 expensive Ovations... An Elite shallow bowl & a EA58 12-String Viper.

Love-Hate relationship for me. Loved the necks, Loved the electronics, Loved the looks, Hated the "plastic" sound not plugged in, Hated how it rocked on my belly.

Sold em for my 814ce...

The best things in life, are not Things...
Old 01-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: ovations

Quote:
Originally posted by matt
let me hear what you guys think of ovation...as you can see from my sig i have two...they are loud unplugged, sound great plugged in, stand up to about any blows you want to give it, and are easy to play...ive read some posts that make me think that some people dont like them, but have never seen an actual thread about ovations...so lets hear it...whats everyone's opinion on ovation?
Exactly what you said is pretty much what I always hear everyone say.

I had a Standard Balledeer once and my biggest problem was that it's back and my front were the same shape. I'd strum hard, the guitar would rock back and forth, next thing you know, my hand is in the sound hole making noises like a train wreck. One hell of a signature sound, huh?

Old 01-21-2003, 09:46 PM

In college, one of my roommates and I jammed whenever we got the chance. He had an Ovation (don't know the model) and this was back when I was playing my Dad's '71 Yamaha FG180....and it blew my roommate's guitar out of the water.

It could have been because neither of us played very well, but I was turned off by them for a while. I plugged one in at the store a few weeks back, and it sounded really good. But I guess for me just sitting around playing I'd rather play a solid wood guitar...I like the tone better.

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 01-21-2003, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ewwess
Had to bump this one. Having 3 guitar players in the family and only 2 acoustics we decided to go guitar shopping for my daughter last weekend. We went to a place call Music Go Round which is a franchise chain that sells used musical instruments, equipment and accessories. Well to make a long story short, the best guitar in the room in our price range was a 1982 Ovation Legend. I had posted earlier on this thread about my feelings towards Ovations and so I was rather surprised when I picked it up and strummed a few chords. It doesn't ring like a Taylor or Guild etc, but it ain't all that bad. It's the big bowl so it has decent tone unamplified. I still don't like it plugged in, especially this one as the electronics are 20 years old. It has a nice sunburst finish on the spruce top, a 5 piece neck, gold tuners, oak leaf rosette, hard shell case and the back and sides are...well they are helicopter blade material It is in pretty good shape for a 20 year old guitar and probably worth the $300 (can I say that?).

We also ended up buying a used Fender Precision bass for my daughter so it looks like the Ovation will go to the wife and I get my Guild back. I have always maintained control of my Taylor.

BTW the model # is 1667
Yes, the preamps on the early ones are pretty dated, but the pickups are still fine. I updated the old knob stereo preamp in my 1980 custom legend 12 to an OP24+ and it sounds great amplified. You can buy directly from the factory as long as they are assured it's going in an Ovation. It was pretty scary taking a jig saw to the lyricord bowl but the installation came off very well.
Old 01-22-2003, 01:01 PM

I'll be honest that I don't care for the look or sound either. As stated, if I'm going to pay more than $500, I'm going to get a solid wood guitar that's going to have a fuller sound and the possibility to open up over time.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:40 AM

Here's a little fact that will hurt all you guys who've been banging Ovation...

Dave Matthews used to play Ovations when he started out professionally. OK, OK, he doesn't play them anymore (duh!) but if it weren't for those guitars he probably wouldn't be as famous as he's now... the guy needed a reasonably decent acoustic which he could plug in for shows in the early 1990's!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:31 AM

Default will never sell mine!

In my quest for a Taylor Upgrade, my Dad gave me an ultimatum..
you have to sell your current guitars and work for the extra dough... i agreed with the 410ce but I will not sell my Ovation!
call me a sentimental but I learnt my first chords on that Ovation(which was my dad's actually) and will not ever sell it!!!!

oh..to add on to this thread.. the 410ce thrashes the ovation accoustically but they hold up pretty well plugged in.
2002 Larrivee LV72KK
2002 Taylor 615ce
2002 Fender Eric Clapton Blackie
2012 Gibson Hummingbird
[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification