The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2008, 05:12 PM

Default What electric guitar for Reggae music?

I've been an acoustic guitar player all my life, and play 12 & 6 string guitar in our Hawaiian music band. We're playing a lot of reggae music too these days, and I find that I just can't get that "scratch" sound that is the predominant off beat rhythm in reggae. My 6 string replicates the sound better than the 12, but I figure I'm going to need to go all electric for the true rasta sound.

Any recommendations on a guitar/amp/effects combo for this tone? thanks.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Taylor K55 all koa - SOLD
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Kyee:

I too love that variety of music. I've seen some of the Jamaican musicians playing a variety of guitars for that "chick", including some surprising combinations. Bob Marley usually had what I believe was a Les Paul Jr. or Melody Maker with P-90s, but I don't believe he was carrying the beat. Some of the players had Les Pauls (one fellow was using a Les Paul and a Roland JC-120 and got a ripping sound out of it!). Others use Fenders and Fender Twins. I get a good approximation with my old Tele, an old Crybaby cranked partially back to get rid of the bottom and add some "skank", and a Fender Twin. I don't think it's as much in the equipment as it is getting that "chick" technique down. I've been trying to talk a friend out of his old JC-120 for a different taste, but so far no luck.

Hope this helps, Bill.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:10 AM

Personally, I'd use a single-coil equipped guitar, i.e. Stratocaster, Telecaster...run it through a phaser or chorus effects pedal, then into a tube amp. Although a solid-state amp does not have any maintenance issues, there's just "something" about a tube amp that's "pleasing" to my ears.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Hey, Check out Natty Wailer (of the Wailers). He's currently doign a project for Acoustic Reggae in Ireland. He might have some suggestions for you.

i know he plays a Vintage hollow body, and a Fender reverb amp for electrified, but not sure about acoustic.

He's a visionary and a true gentleman - Here's his bebo.

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3611723464

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyee View Post
I've been an acoustic guitar player all my life, and play 12 & 6 string guitar in our Hawaiian music band. We're playing a lot of reggae music too these days, and I find that I just can't get that "scratch" sound that is the predominant off beat rhythm in reggae. My 6 string replicates the sound better than the 12, but I figure I'm going to need to go all electric for the true rasta sound.

Any recommendations on a guitar/amp/effects combo for this tone? thanks.
Martin OMC Aura
Ovation Custom Elite LX - Bye Bye Baby.. baby bye bye (c:
Fender Strat 60th Anniversary
1978 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe
Epiphone 335
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 AM

Marley played a LP Special (dual P90) and Ben Harper (who does a few reggae style tunes uses either Specials or Tele's. You really can't go wrong with a good single coil pickup (P90 or Fender Style) through a clean tube amp (Ie, Fender Blackface or Silverface).
Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 AM

thanks for the recommendations. now if anyone knows of any good deals on these (used or new), please shoot me a PM. thanks.
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 AM

I would agree that the most important thing is single coil pickups, for that crisp tone. Other things can vary.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM

I agree about single-coils also, I was gonna say U may want to play around with some slap-back delay maybe? I am not sure how they get that sound, I think some of it is just in the hands, not to be cliche...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM

I used to be friends with the rhythm guitarist from Burning Spear. He used a Gibson S1 (I think thats the model) with three single coils. He also used a Kramer Ferrington thin body acoustic. He used a wah and delay pedal, sometimes a rack multi effect of some sort. For amps he used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville as I recall.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:01 PM

the guy in the reaggea band i go see uses a PRS and les paul earthwood guitars however he plays it through a roland keyboard amp and gets a perfect "reggea tone" it gets over the synth, flute, sax, drums, and all the wierd hand held percussion insturments the singer uses quite well. search natures child band on my space to hear sound samples.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 AM

A Godin Exit 22 !!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 PM

A Telecaster or a Silvertone 1457!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:15 PM

how would a Taylor T5 work?
Taylor 855
Taylor 614ceL7
Taylor T5 koa - SOLD
Old 05-10-2008, 06:55 PM

This one:

http://reggaesessions.blogspot.com/2...r-on-ebay.html

Marley played a Gibson, many other good players used single coils.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepkat63 View Post
I used to be friends with the rhythm guitarist from Burning Spear. He used a Gibson S1 (I think thats the model) with three single coils. He also used a Kramer Ferrington thin body acoustic. He used a wah and delay pedal, sometimes a rack multi effect of some sort. For amps he used a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Deville as I recall.
I remember the S1 - that had a great sound for reggae. It was a really unique tone. Gibson had some cool guitars in the late 70's. I wish they would bring them back. Anyone remember the L6s, or the marauder?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars