The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 AM

What sold it for me (I really really really wanted an all tube amp that I could tweak)...

... is that the MustangIIIv2 saves a LOT of money - and this is my first amp. It is as cheap as most entry level tube amps (vox, fender, etc). It gives the power of a much higher end tube amp. It sounds good from low to high volume (tube amps generally have a sweet spot), it has a touch response similar to a tube amp, it can simulate a pedal board...

... it can directly interface to the PC for recording, it can directly interface to the PA for playing out, it can take your existing pedals as input...

... lots of pedals, lots of models, lots of options. To have this much versatility in traditional tubes and pedals will cost a fortune.

----------

What it doesn't do that I wish it did?
1. looping (you have to use the free software and hook it to a PC)
2. having more than one "stomp" pedal in the simulation at a time. For this you basically have to dial in multiple patches and switch between them.

Last edited by Pualee; 06-09-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
What sold it for me (I really really really wanted an all tube amp that I could tweak)...

... is that the MustangIIIv2 saves a LOT of money - and this is my first amp. It is as cheap as most entry level tube amps (vox, fender, etc). It gives the power of a much higher end tube amp. It sounds good from low to high volume (tube amps generally have a sweet spot), it has a touch response similar to a tube amp, it can simulate a pedal board...

... it can directly interface to the PC for recording, it can directly interface to the PA for playing out, it can take your existing pedals as input...

... lots of pedals, lots of models, lots of options. To have this much versatility in traditional tubes and pedals will cost a fortune.

----------

What it doesn't do that I wish it did?
1. looping (you have to use the free software and hook it to a PC)
2. having more than one "stomp" pedal in the simulation at a time. For this you basically have to dial in multiple patches and switch between them.
The Mustang is a fantastic amp for your first amp. It's not hard to find a very acceptable sound both at high and low volumes. I've had a 1964 Deluxe Reverb since 1969, and there really is no comparison. The tube amp sets the standards of excellence and sonic capabilities, IMHO.
I'm going to have to take the Mustang to a jam, as I haven't had the chance to really play it loud. It needs a looper.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
What you're saying is you tend to use the "cleaner" settings than all the metal or dirtier tones.....this is where I find myself as well.
Yes ... clean settings only.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:15 AM

I also mainly play on the "cleaner settings" and love it. I also purchased the MS4 Footswitch which adds to the versatility of the amp. While I know the MIII V2 could blow my house down, that wasn't the reason for the purchase.

Maybe it is my perception, but I think it sounds much better at the lower volumes (and the cleaner tones) that I use than the MII. (It should as it costs more! ) It is nice to know that I have the reserve horsepower when my "inner Bonamassa" comes out......usually means wife is in another state.

For the price, this one is hard to pass up. I also spent $25 for the matching cover. Can you tell I love this amp? I traded my Line 6 Amplifi 75 watt and never looked back!!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:39 AM

I just joined the club.

I found a used Mustang III v.2 at my local store for only $250 and picked it up last night. I traded in the Marshall AVT20 that I had recently bought and got the full amount back that I had paid for it so that knocked nearly $100 off the price of the Mustang. It also came with both the two button and the four button foot switch which was a bonus.

So far, I am impressed by the amp. I need to do some tweaking but can already understand why so many people are so high on these amps.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:15 PM

I'm a tube amp (Fender that is) fanatic. (However first to admit they are expensive for the most part and not all that practical for lounge/bedroom playing when you have a family).

The Mustang's price, sound quality (I don't play at high volumes) and versatility for me, made it a "must have". Three Fender amp settings, (non Fender settings which I choose not to use) inbuilt tuner, headphone socket (I do most of my practicing/playing using headphones), reverb and delay (again other effects which I choose not to use), plus lots of other stuff which I haven't explored.

Enjoy yours!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I just picked up a Fender Mustang amp. Just wow. Anyone else loving these? I am astounded at how "tube like" they are! And for a ridiculously low price. Fender hit it right out of the park on these!

I find the Fuse software approach annoying, but we take the good with the bad. On the positive, sure gives you creative control. On the negative, I would rather tweak the parameters without a PC.

But, my goodness, the Fender Twin and the Bassman sims are out of this world. You can go all Roy Buchanan with the Tele with those settings!
I was under the impression that the Fender Champions are for folks like us who would rather do their tweaking without a computer...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars