The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-05-2015, 11:30 AM

The most important thing is just to keep your tip shiny: wipe on a damp sponge and tin regularly. At high temperatures a layer of oxidation quickly builds up on the tip and this stops it transferring heat properly.

A temperature-controlled soldering station is better though and it really comes into its own if you're trying to solder to a big lump of metal which sucks all the heat away as fast as you can deliver it.

- as the tip temperature starts to fall, the station will automatically pump out more heat maintaining a more even temperature than an ordinary iron

- changeable tips so you can fit something big with more thermal inertia.

- you can set the temperature very high to zap the parts with a big blast of heat (careful you don't melt the insulation off the wire though...)

It's also better for preserving tips. When you have to pause for a few minutes, you can wipe, tin, and turn the temperature right down. Because a soldering station heats up quickly there's no real pause when you need it again.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:44 PM

Glad you got it!

And don't bee too hard on your soldering iron! I've found lead-free solder a right pain.

Rock on!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I keep a high watt iron just for the pot grounds. Cheap enough. And long ago I wired all my strats master volume, master tone.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars