The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2003, 02:34 PM

Have to agree with others on the DM9, that thing is a cannon for the money. Haven't played a bad one yet...

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 01-22-2003, 01:07 PM

As far as the headstocks, they're not that different from a "standard" one. Here's the pic of mine on the Tacoma website. The headstocks I really hate are the Seagulls.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:08 PM

Unhappy It makes me sad . .

. . that not everyone can own a Taylor.

I was very disappointed with the Chief I played, hoping to find a more economic guitar, and was not happy with the neck construction (two large visible bolts on the back). I want to play a guitar that doesn't look like I had to assemble it.

I did however pick up a 3-piece jumbo (rosewood) that sounded reasonable, but it still needed to be amplified, even for a jumbo. A 310 would still blow it out of the water. My wife's Big Baby has better tone.

As for the headstock, I agree with leftydude. I like the shape, but the Tacoma name looks like a bumper sticker.

I have no doubt bradley dr20 has a great guitar. I believe every guitar is unique and its all how it came together the day it was built. That being said, You can't beat Taylor, Larrivee, and Martin for being consistant.

My preferences would be listed as followed (in decending order)
- Taylor (any)
- Larrivee( OM or J series)
- Guild (jumbo)
- Alvarez (JG series)

george p. atkins

2002 Taylor 310ce-ltd (maple)

2004 Taylor 314
Old 01-25-2003, 04:21 PM

I do agree that as far as the name on the headstock, I would say that I've never seen the name look better than on a Taylor. Maybe it's just the combination of letters in the name or the way it's designed, but I love it, with Larrivee as a close second. But what you don't like about the Tacomas is what I love. Not every one sounds the same, which is rare in factory-produced guitars. I can play my dad's 410 and it sounds just like my friend's. But I've played numerous Tacomas, and they all sound different. Being completely honest, there were many that I didn't like. That's why it makes me so sad when people play a DM9 and don't like it, so they automatically don't play any other Tacomas. They all sound different, even within the same model. Each has a personality. Martin's don't at all, and Taylors, while they sound great, are very similar.
Old 01-25-2003, 05:39 PM

You would be better off to check out a Garrison!
I tried them at NAMM, and was blown away.
Great sounding guitars and very reasonably priced.
The Garrison people could not handle all the Dealers trying to sign up! it was probably one of the busiest booths at the whole show.
Check them out!

http://www.garrisonguitars.com/front.html

..or check out the Harmony Central Reviews.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...rison-Guitars/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification