The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Tears in Heaven by Eric Clapton (on a pre-war Martin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKlcBnEeDGs
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 PM

Classic song on a classic guitar.

Bud
Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 AM

Beautiful playing. That guitar sounds sweet.

The vocal was a little quiet, though. Are you a little less than confident in your singing?

Your playing of the song, though, was great. It actually looked a lot simpler in your video than I've seen before.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 02-22-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Beautiful playing. That guitar sounds sweet.

The vocal was a little quiet, though. Are you a little less than confident in your singing?

Your playing of the song, though, was great. It actually looked a lot simpler in your video than I've seen before.
Thanks.

It is a fairly simple song overall. I'm actually not used to singing (don't remember ever doing it on tape) but I thought I would give it a try and record it, see what feedback came back. I think there is some lack of confidence there as you point out.

Last edited by mmasters; 02-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmasters View Post
Thanks.

It is a fairly simple song overall. I'm actually not used to singing (don't remember ever doing it on tape) but I thought I would give it a try and record it, see what feedback came back. I think there is some lack of confidence there as you point out.
Your singing isn't bad at all. It's in tune. Not pitchy at all.

The one problem with this song, in particular, is you sang it one octave lower than Clapton sings it. That's not a problem, per se, but it made me think that maybe this song is a 'tweener for you. It's too high if you sing it like Clapton and too low one octave down. Would that be a fair statement?

If so, you could always capo up and play it the same way. That way you could raise your voice the extra half-step or two, or three, and bring it more into your range.

I've had to lower the tuning on my guitars a half step for the same reasons. My voice is not what it used to be when I was younger.

Which reminds me of a funny story from this past weekend. I was at a little jam and started to play some Neil Young songs. I had trouble reaching some of the notes. I had mentioned that many NY songs were the first I ever learned to play. Someone asked, why did I learn all those songs if I couldn't sing them. Actually I could, when I was 15.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 02-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Your singing isn't bad at all. It's in tune. Not pitchy at all.

The one problem with this song, in particular, is you sang it one octave lower than Clapton sings it. That's not a problem, per se, but it made me think that maybe this song is a 'tweener for you. It's too high if you sing it like Clapton and too low one octave down. Would that be a fair statement?

If so, you could always capo up and play it the same way. That way you could raise your voice the extra half-step or two, or three, and bring it more into your range.

I've had to lower the tuning on my guitars a half step for the same reasons. My voice is not what it used to be when I was younger.

Which reminds me of a funny story from this past weekend. I was at a little jam and started to play some Neil Young songs. I had trouble reaching some of the notes. I had mentioned that many NY songs were the first I ever learned to play. Someone asked, why did I learn all those songs if I couldn't sing them. Actually I could, when I was 15.
That's funny, our voices can change a lot that's for sure.

You're right, I never thought about it but I was thinking the other day it doesn't sound quite like him, he's definately up an octave. Another one I learned recently was Imagine, I'll have to put that one up and see what people think as my range fits right in with that one. I do like singing with this guitar in my natural lower voice as the guitar covers the mids and highs well and the overall effect has a pleasing full range quality to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell