The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM

Default "The Witching Hour" - original mandolin tune

A few friends and I have a weekly songwriting workshop going- one of us suggests a prompt on Monday and we have to have a complete song written, recorded and emailed to one another by that Sunday. It's turned out to be quite fun and a good way to keep in touch with good friends.

I'd like to share my song from this week for the same reasons we all share here- to get helpful feedback, tips, comments, etc. Anything is appreciated.

I'm not a strong mandolin player, but I picked it up in April of last year and have had a blast learning some simple chords and whatnot. Please forgive my feeble fingers.

EDIT: I tried to embed, but without any luck. Please visit my blog to listen:

Thanks for listening!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:19 PM

Hey, I like this!

I don't think I've heard just a vocals and mandolin combo before but it worked well. The mandolin "chop" (is that what it's called? I don't play at all but I think I've heard it talked about... ) gives it a real solid rhythm. Really you're playing is fine, certainly strong enough to support the song.

Vocals were good too, and most importantly, I found I was singing the chorus back to myself a few minutes later so it must be catchy

Can I make one comment on the lyrics? I normally don't because it can be a touchy area, but in this case one phrase stood out in an otherwise great song. It's the very end of the bridge - "...won't interfere with their jobs."

For me, after some great writing in the rest of the song, and after the musical build-up in the bridge, that last phrase is a bit of a let down somehow. It feels like the perfect spot for some huge statement on life, love, happiness etc and then it just mentions their job... I hope you know what I'm trying to say? Just something that's come to mind each time I've listened to it.

That aside, good stuff, and I'm keen to hear some more mandolin + vocals numbers in the future
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the comments, Oz. I'm much obliged, indeed.

As for the lyrics, I'm glad you said something- I wasn't completely sold on the "jobs" line, either. I'll keep working on it.

Again, many thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Whippersnapper

Cool tune, nice goove!

Thanks for sharing.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 02-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Thanks, Kyle- to you as well!

(It ought to be known that we share a name, though mine, in good Irishman form, is spelled 'Cyle'- so it was very difficult for me to spell your name correctly)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell