The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Song and sort of a "trigger finger" video journal

As of today, I've started to post some video on YouTube that is going to be surrounding the period of (I hope surrounding) a surgery I'm having on a trigger finger next week.

As a precaution and for sanity, I'm learning chromatic harp while I'm out of commission on my right hand. I used it for the first time in an upload today of:

Days of Wine and Roses by Mancini:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_9pnvvW4iU

I hope to have something up after the surgery as quickly as I can play decently. If not, I'll post something about how it went anyway.

PS: I made the mistake of competing with a few noisy fans using a microphone because it's too hot to play any other way. The result is a very poor recording, which I'll fix the soundtrack of when it's cooler. Also: I'm using a guitar someone left around here that isn't much of a guitar but that I've for some reason gotten used to playing after doing a setup. I think it's a 100-200 buck instrument. The sound of this recording isn't at all the fault of that guitar.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Papol/Hashi,

All the best with you surgery!

My brother and I played together since the late 60's (he plays bass). We were in the same band for 35 years with folks we met in college. When I moved to Texas in 2000 the band dissolved!

I went solo acoustic after going crazy and not playing for almost two years, my baby brother..................had a stroke in 2007.

Although mild he has trouble with math and numbers and cried when I asked him if he could still play or use it for therapy, he doesn't have enough feeling in a few of his fingertips to make it work, he is crushed.

I may not be doing a good job but I'm trying to say a surgery is far prefereable over some of the alternatives, and I truly wish you a complete recovery, you were meant to play. My sincere best wishes for a complete recovery, be well!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-06-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks, Rich :

I agree and Oh yeah -- I'm well aware of how "lucky" I am to have this on my plate after watching 3 family members die horrible deaths over the last 3 years, 1 of them much younger than I. In fact, I've had many worse problems than this, but the guitar and music are such a part of me at this point that this one still touches a nerve, just not with all the others, not with your brother's of course.

I just thought with all this garbage on the internet that it would be useful to add a little more and give a first hand account of this procedure and it's impact on someone that uses that darned finger.

Very sorry to hear of your brother's problems. Strokes, cancer, heart attacks, all of the crazy chain of things that can get you are just mind-boggling.

Thanks,

P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Papol/Hashi,

All the best with you surgery!

My brother and I played together since the late 60's (he plays bass). We were in the same band for 35 years with folks we met in college. When I moved to Texas in 2000 the band dissolved!

I went solo acoustic after going crazy and not playing for almost two years, my baby brother..................had a stroke in 2007.

Although mild he has trouble with math and numbers and cried when I asked him if he could still play or use it for therapy, he doesn't have enough feeling in a few of his fingertips to make it work, he is crushed.

I may not be doing a good job but I'm trying to say a surgery is far prefereable over some of the alternatives, and I truly wish you a complete recovery, you were meant to play. My sincere best wishes for a complete recovery, be well!!
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Surgery was yesterday: I'm going to upload a video of my current state , show off my hand, and drop into a coma ;)

P

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Wkyvzdm5s
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Default 2-Day Post surgery upload (song)

Things are improving (although perhaps not this song):

Song is Lament by J.J. Johnson. I play some harp at the end because my hand is too tired for a full tune right now. I had to pick it (finger style is definitely not ready yet ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCBYvw3tDs

P

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell