The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 01:35 PM

Default Plain (non-wound) Bass Strings?

I'm curious, does any manufacture make non-wound bass strings? or at least maybe up to the D-string unwound? Or?

I'm curious because I'm thinking unwound strings may be easier to play because they are more flexible.

Last edited by lar; 08-25-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Heaviest unwound string commonly available is an .026, so unless you're using an extra-light set you're out of luck; I've also noticed that as unwound strings get heavier they tend to generate some oddball harmonics unless they're under relatively high tension and/or your scale length is longer than normal - somewhat manageable on a solid-body electric, but fraught with potential problems on an acoustic with its own unique frequency response and body resonances. FWIW back in the prewar/early-postwar era wound B-strings were commonplace on archtop comp boxes, there's a small underground movement among discerning baritone guitar players in the same direction (which I'm going to join next string change - the longer scale doesn't always help), and I've used a wound G on my electrics for the last 55+ years to improve tuning stability and harmonic consistency; IMO you might just be barking up the wrong tree here - I'd sooner be looking at one of the low-tension set options to provide easy fingering and consistent tone...
Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
I'm curious, does any manufacture make non-wound bass strings? or at least maybe up to the D-string unwound? Or?

I'm curious because I'm thinking unwound strings may be easier to play because they are more flexible.
Unwound bass strings would be very stiff, intonate poorly and sound bad.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
... I'm thinking unwound strings may be easier to play because they are more flexible.
Just an uneducated guess. But it looks to me like, with a wound string, all the tension is on the core wire, not the outside wound wire. So a fatter core wire with nothing wound around it would have to have a lot more tension, no?

Couch Standards
Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Just an uneducated guess. But it looks to me like, with a wound string, all the tension is on the core wire, not the outside wound wire. So a fatter core wire with nothing wound around it would have to have a lot more tension, no?
No. Tension is related to mass per unit length, string length and frequency. However the string would be stiff (increased resistance to bending) and sound bad and intonate poorly.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion