The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-12-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Cracked Bridge 000-18

I have a 1936 Martin 000-18 and when changing the strings, noticed the ebony bridge developed about a 3/16" crack starting from the saddle slot towards the front corner on the low E side. The saddle slot on this guitar is open on both ends. Being as this guitar is all original including the finish except for the tuners, I was going to string it back up, put some super glue in the crack very carefully and loosen the strings to let it set. But, I'm thinking maybe thats not a good idea.

Any luthiers who might give me some advise? thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00018 View Post
I'm thinking maybe thats not a good idea.
I'd agree that it probably isn't a good idea on a guitar of that age and value.

Without photos, it is difficult to give much meaningful advice other than to take it to a professional for repair. The repair might be CA glue, as you suggest. It might require bridge replacement, depending upon the specifics of what you have.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00018 View Post
I have a 1936 Martin 000-18 and when changing the strings, noticed the ebony bridge developed about a 3/16" crack starting from the saddle slot towards the front corner on the low E side. The saddle slot on this guitar is open on both ends. Being as this guitar is all original including the finish except for the tuners, I was going to string it back up, put some super glue in the crack very carefully and loosen the strings to let it set. But, I'm thinking maybe thats not a good idea.

Any luthiers who might give me some advise? thanks in advance.
Its really simple, if your unsure then do not do it, if its a crappy 100 dollar instrument, then experiment away to your hearts content, but anything else, seek professional "local" repair, it will likely cost you more to fix anything you do with the risk of permanent damage

Steve
Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 AM

It is more likely than not an easy fix, and yes, with super glue. Easy for a good professional. Not the guy who does setups at the local Guitar Center. You can mess it up doing it yourself and create a bigger problem.

Do not use the release of string pressure on the saddle after applying super glue as a clamping method for a bridge crack. Ever. On any guitar.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Yes, these days they'd use super glue. (Justs repaired a bridge with superglue myself, but I did it off the guitar because the bridge was lifting anyway - that stuff can mess up your finish in a hurry.)

An instrument that old, and in the condition you describe should be repaired by someone that does it for a living, IMO. Besides some of the posters here, Bryan Kimsey is the Martin guy I'd contact.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Default 000-18

thanks everyone!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bridge crack, cracked bridge, martin repair