The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-04-2023, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Who won the guitar?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-04-2023, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Woolson Raffle Drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Who won the guitar?

Congratulations Ron (Aspiring)!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 09-06-2023 at 01:10 PM. Reason: more pics
Old 09-04-2023, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Who won the guitar?
That would be my incredible good fortune. I have just started a thread with more details. Needless to say the event was a once in a lifetime experience for me.

Last edited by Aspiring; 09-04-2023 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-04-2023, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

We just got home from B.I.G. last night. My first words need to be devoted to giving a HUGE thank you to Kathy and Tom. They both put in an enormous amount of work, so very kind, gracious and self-sacrificing servants all weekend. It quickly became a favorite show of mine for a number of reasons.
1. a beautiful spacious home that provided for a very up close and intimate experience, quiet rooms for listening and playing. Not to mention it was fully Air conditioned since the average temp was like 102 degrees outside. Whew!
2. I was with some of my best friends again, fellow luthiers I have met over the years from doing other shows. These meaningful and valuable friendships only grew considerably deeper this weekend. There is no price for what this does for my heart and soul period.
3. I met many new and wonderful people, many great players, heard some really cool stories etc.
4.To experience intimate house concerts with Christie Lenee, Tony McManus, and Frog and Toad was as memorable as it gets.
5. of course the food was fabulous, we were so well taken care of.

There were many personal amazing moments for me as a luthier I won't take time to list them all here, just to say they made memories that I will keep and cherish forever, deeply encouraging moments that remind me yet again as to why I love do what I do and I am overwhelming grateful to be able to do it.

so, Thank you again, Kathy and Tom you are amazing. Your hosting this event provided a space for so much meaningful moments for so many, you may never know the extent of what good you have done, but I truly hope you can find some time to reflect and let that sink in. Get some rest.

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 09-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I have hardly any photos of the event, but I carry the memories with me inside. I found many kindred spirits at B.I.G. this year, made new friendships, made deeper friendships, listened to some amazing concerts and played some incredible guitars. I feel that life may be short, but it is very, very deep. Thanks to Tom and Kathy for their generosity in creating this gathering. It is certainly one of the high points of my year, each year.

Al
Old 09-04-2023, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Default B.I.G. Thanks!

Cheryl and I offer our heart-felt thanks to Tom and Kathy for their generosity, hard work and planning to, once again, host this gathering of world-class luthiers and guitarists in their beautiful Hill Country home.

This year's event continued to raise the already high bar set by three previous B.I.G. shows. The performances, workshops and demos by Frog & Toad, Christie Lenee and Tony McManus were outstanding, as was this year's lineup of top-tier luthiers.

I've been to most of the large guitar shows, and they are fun to attend, but don't offer this kind of opportunity to interact with the luthiers and the featured guitarists. In this intimate setting, everyone really gets acquainted and comfortable over the 3 days. Old friendships are renewed and new friendships are found.

Congratulations to Ron (Aspiring) for winning the raffle for the special guitar donated by Paul Woolson.

We hope to see everyone again next year. - Doug & Cheryl

Last edited by doodahdoug; 09-04-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

It looks like everyone had a wonderful time and the guitars look amazing. That's a lot of work for Tom and his wife. I have a 3 hour barbecue here and I'm ready to pack it in for the weekend. Great job Tom!

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 09-04-2023, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
That would be my incredible good fortune. I have just started a thread with more details. Needless to say the event was a once in a lifetime experience for me.
Read the post, loved it, congratulations!!

Looks like Christie Lenee plays Maton guitars. Curious if anyone knows what model(s).

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-04-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Read the post, loved it, congratulations!!

Looks like Christie Lenee plays Maton guitars. Curious if anyone knows what model(s).
I don't know what model, but she said when you play amplified they are hard to beat. Great electronics.
Old 09-04-2023, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't know what model, but she said when you play amplified they are hard to beat. Great electronics.
Heard that, thanks! If anything, Iíd be looking for a gigging guitar, so thatís good to know. Played a Takamine recently that was glorious through an amp, but a bit thin when played unplugged. Would rather spend money on a guitar that does both well.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-04-2023, 08:06 PM

Congratulations on the new guitar Ron! Was just checking to see who won it! I look forward to hearing more about it as you play it. Looks like another special BIG weekend! Thank you for giving us who couldnít be there a taste of what is was like. Great instruments, phenomenal musicians, good people, wonderful food, and truly one of a kind hosts! I love this! I hope many of you found a forever guitar this weekend!

Beth
Old 09-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Ron - and great job after being put on the spot to play in front of 70 people! And a HUGE thanks to our hosts, Tom and Kathy. Without their generosity none of this would have been possible - you are invaluable to our guitar community.
Old 09-06-2023, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Default My B.I.G. Experience

After Attending a few guitar shows I decided to make it a point to attend this year B.I.G and I no longer have any interest in attending any other shows. Tom and Katyís event is a game changer and if one is serious about this level of guitars you have to attend.

Where else can you spend such an extended time talking with a builder or playing / listening to guitars in what amounts to the same as your own home. The parts that stood out for me were :

Sitting in a quite room or on the patio with one or two builders and other players with different guitars for prolonged conversations and comparisons.

Being able to hear and evaluate each guitar and itís capabilities being played by a variety of different players and their styles. Hearing the same guitar played by Diogo with his amazing natural fingernails and his own style of alternate tunings then Al from Austin with his smooth renditions of songs everybody knows. So easy listening that Fred of Tellier guitars said if there was a tip jar he'd put in a buck. Two different players with very different results from the guitar.

Learning more about each builder than you will get from a web site or article. The feel of their guitars, the tonal shapes and styles and their philosophies behind how they build. Such as Joelís goal at Two Hands Guitar. He builds for finger style players not strummers and focuses, as he put it, on ďthe music between the notesĒ.

Since Iím mostly vocally oriented I look for something different than a pure instrumentalist finger style player. Being able to spend serious time with the guitars I really could tell which ones were so natural for me to play , an important factor at this level of guitar.

One brand I had passed on playing as every demo I had heard was out of the tonal range I prefer, yet on Sunday while sitting in Tomís guitar room I notice one of them was on a stand right behind me so why not give it a try. Not only was it so comfortable for me to play but the tone was surprisingly good, I suspect mostly due to all the playing I had heard was with a pick rather than finger style. So that model is on my consideration list.

The most fun was the easy going socializing, going to dinner with other members, builders and performers which was a natural out growth of the casual intimate setting. How else would I know how Lame Horse Guitar's name is related to a volume purchase of printed stationary. The concerts were a big part of the enjoyment, up close and interactive. The Saturday concert ran long and for those of us who stayed to the end became unique with Tony joining Christie as they improvised.

The Sunday brunch hours included both Tony and Christie just sitting around and playing a number of the guitars in a relaxed atmosphere, where else will you get that experience. In the picture included Tony is playing one of Joelís guitars and just about every body in the picture is a builder.

While one might not find a guitar on that particular weekend that will go home with them, you now have a good understanding of the builders you like and what they can do for the near or far future .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIG Sat Concert end.jpg (36.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg BIG Sunday Brunch.jpg (52.1 KB, 187 views)
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Default B.I.G. IV photos

Here are some of my pictures from B.I.G. IV -

1. Ben Wilborn and Brad Jones (Frog & Toad) guitar demos for Two Hands Guitars.
2. Christe Lenee enjoying Lonzo's Kinnaird 12 string model Sunday afternoon.
3. Tony McManus demo for Halland Guitars
4. Patio Jam Session
5. Gerry Humphrey signing the Comemorative B.I.G. Exhibitors poster for Tom
6. Cheryl Baron trying out the Jimmy Caldwell 00-42
7. John Osthoff Guitars
8. Edwinson Guitars
9. Lame Horse Instruments (The Fiddleback Tree Mahogany Saddle Pal)

Last edited by doodahdoug; 09-07-2023 at 06:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-06-2023, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Joel and I wrapped up the journey home from New Braunfels yesterday afternoon, after three days of amazing fellowship and reuniting with friends and colleagues, and a maximum dose of sensory overload... It's a combination of being thoroughly enervated and exhausted by the whole experience, while simultaneously feeling so energized and inspired, and eager to begin the next projects, and hopefully the chance to attend B.I.G. again next year.

I wasn't even supposed to be there. My year started with having to put everything on hold to deal with a major derailment in my elderly mother's and disabled older sister's lives and health, that just seemed to get more and more chaotic and broken down as the weeks went by. Everything that could go wrong DID go wrong. The constant stress, anxiety, and perpetual insomnia blew a huge crater in my health too. I lost four-plus months of shop time and income. I wasn't able to make any show guitars this year, and regretfully told Tom a few months ago that I would not be attending as an exhibitor this year, because of this giant, ongoing fiasco.

But my fortunes turned rather dramatically, when my friend and patron Kenneth Hobbs decided to attend the show, and he invited Joel and me to come along as his guests. Ken and his wife are supremely generous people, who take great pride in being patrons of the Arts. I've been the beneficiary of their generosity since 2014, when Ken bought a guitar from me that I listed in the Forum Marketplace. They have also adopted Joel as a beneficiary of their largesse as well. It was an all-expenses-paid trip for us, with the added benefit of having Ken's actual presence for the week.
Ken is one of those highly uncommon people of towering intellect, for whom the art of Conversation is almost to the level of a sport; except, it's not competitive. He's a fascinating guy to hang with. Joel and I tend toward precise language also, whenever we can get away with it, so we always have a great time together.

I sent an email to Tom, and told him that I would be attending B.I.G. after all, sorry, you're not getting rid of me that easy... And of course, Tom sent me a virtual embrace and welcome. I mentioned that I knew it was too late in the year to ask to be let back in as an exhibitor, but on the off-chance, I still had a couple of available guitars in my corral that I could bring along. Tom said, "Bring them! We'll find a place for you." So there's another bit of Grace coming down.

When we showed up at Tom and Kathy's palatial home last week, just about everyone else attending, including people whom I knew only peripherally, came up to me inquiring about my well-being, and wishing me well. Word had gotten around the grapevine that my family and I had been navigating through a disastrous year, and all these people expressed their concern, and their hopes that things were leveling out and getting better. Which they finally ARE, I'm glad to report. I had no idea that so many people knew about me, much less cared what I was dealing with; and it was profoundly touching and uplifting to bask in the glow of all that radiant friendship.

I want to thank everyone for their kindness and concern, and most of all, their friendship. This weekend at B.I.G. was an amazingly uplifting, emotional, and inspiring time. I got to share so much quality time and conversation with so many people. Truly, the highlight of my year.

Joel and I will both cop to being hard-wired hermits- a lot of us luthiers are that way. I can happily work in the same space with Joel all day, and sometimes, we don't speak a word for hours. We're both wrapped up in our own microcosms, and just the comfort of the other guy's presence is enough. While not actively avoiding human contact, we do tend to be inward-focused, quietly intense, and happy to be finding serenity in solitude. (If you're applying to be a luthier, be sure to put that in your resume! It's a major job requirement.)
So these events of such maximum human social contact can be both really stimulating and totally exhausting for us. I mean, exhausting in a very GOOD way. It takes us guitar makers awhile to process all that incoming stimuli, when we're typically marinating in our own thoughts all day.

Emerging into such a high energy setting as this annual celebration at Tom and Kathy's, with a handful of supremely talented guitar makers, and some of the greatest luminaries in the guitar player part of the universe, and people for whom the guitar is an essential component to a happy life... WOW. What a great time!

Ben and Brad- Toad and Frog- have become an annual tradition at B.I.G., everyone who gets to know them and listen to their music is filled with wonder at how positively luminous they and their music are. Brad and Ben play with a perfect dovetail fit in every note and phrase. The melodies they construct are ravishing. Their compositions are the very personification of beauty. The guitars Ben makes occupy a higher order of Being than almost any other guitars on the planet, very few are equal, and none are better.

I've been a rapt fan of Tony McManus since the early 90s. Celtic music has always been my genetic soul-song, and there's no one on Earth who's a higher Master at it than Tony. His musical knowledge in general is encyclopedic. There's NOTHING he can't do with a fine guitar. Not to mention, Tony's immense wit and story-telling chops; well, there's just no end to the guy, and it was a singular gift to have his presence at B.I.G. this year.

The biggest surprise to me this year was Christi Lenee. I'm embarrassed to admit, I hadn't heard of her or her music until just a couple of months ago. I wasn't prepared to be utterly slain by her virtuosity and stage presence. She radiates pure joy in her playing, and her super-kinetic guitar work leaves me breathless and heart-pounding.
There are a LOT of people playing in that modern fingerstyle, hammer-on, pull-off, tapping, whacking thwacking, pinging popping, all over the place idiom these days. Frankly, I find a lot of them kind of annoying, because it's all about performing these tricks and sound effects on the guitar, without really saying anything musical. To my way of thinking, if there is no discernible melodic thread, or lyrical cadence to a tune, I lose interest pretty fast, and it just becomes a lot of articulated noise...

Christi's music is revelatory, because she employs all these prodigious technical skills to serve the music, to convey a melodic narrative, to tell a dynamic and cohesive story. Her music is MUSICAL! Her songwriting and singing are at an equal par with her wizardly playing skills too. She contains enough energy to power a good sized city. She's AMAZING. Kristi Lenee is the Sun and the Moon, and the Thunder and the Lightning and the Rain, all at once, in one person. First thing I did when I got home was to subscribe to every online media platform featuring Kristi that I could find. I am smitten! I hope that doesn't sound creepy.

I simply lack the ability to adequately convey my appreciation and admiration for Tom and Kathy, for putting in all the hard work and planning and organizing to bring us this event. What a fantastic gift they've given all of us. I hope B.I.G. goes on for a long time, and Kathy and Tom have great success and prosperity in all their endeavors. I've had the times of my life in their home, with all these lovely, splendid humans who come to celebrate. Bravo!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 09-06-2023 at 02:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop