The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2020, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Default How big are the pores in White Oak

Thinking of having a guitar made with Oak back and sides. Are the pores large? The luthier in question does not do pore fill (which I like), and so I am wondering about this.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:24 PM

The pores in white oak are about as big as pores get.

Quartersawn white oak has marvellous, large, rays that add a very nice figure to the wood. It is the traditional wood from which Mission/Craftsman furniture is made. In that furniture style, it is usually finished with the pores not filled. I'm sitting in a room filled with Mission style quartered white oak furniture. The computer desk that I'm sitting at is quartered white oak. I did not fill the pores when I finished it.

A few people have made guitars using white oak back and sides. It can be quite stunning. I plan to use some of the quartered white oak I have to make a guitar. When I do, I'll fill the pores: the open pore look isn't what I want in a guitar finish. It just depends on what you want.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:14 PM

Part of 'custom' in custom guitar making is that you give the customer what they want. It's not at all difficult to pore fill, sure it takes more time but... Still.

I think there are a few things that make sense that a luthier would refuse to do like for example use some sort of crazy bracing pattern that a client has in their head (been there). But pore filling is a normal part of finishing. IT doesn't even really require a whole lot of extra skill. You slather the pore fill on, sand back to wood and repeat as necessary.

I just find it odd that's all

Oak, as Charles mentioned, is about as big a pore you will find in any wood. I have built a few white oak guitars and have filled with egg whites, and CA. CA being my preference but today I would probably use Aquacoat.

An oak guitar without pore fill will look great to the right kind of person but imho you should get what you want in a finish.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:54 PM

Now if you really want pores, go for Red Oak.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

I have a couple guitars with no fill with open pores showing and I like the raw look. I wondered if the large pores of oak might be a step too far though. I'll have to look at some Oak boards to see as I can't tell from pics. Guitar maker Dowina makes an Oak guitar without fill.

Last edited by fregly; 07-29-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Now if you really want pores, go for Red Oak.

My last personal build was a red oak dread. Big pores I didn't try to fill, and some worm holes besides!

I'm very happy with it. Unique look and good sound.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
My last personal build was a red oak dread. Big pores I didn't try to fill, and some worm holes besides!

I'm very happy with it. Unique look and good sound.
I'm going to make a special request for a set with worm holes now.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

If you want wormholes, I have a bunch of chestnut -
Old 07-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I'm going to make a special request for a set with worm holes now.
It’s the new trend, lol
Old 07-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The pores in white oak are about as big as pores get.

Quartersawn white oak has marvellous, large, rays that add a very nice figure to the wood. It is the traditional wood from which Mission/Craftsman furniture is made. In that furniture style, it is usually finished with the pores not filled. I'm sitting in a room filled with Mission style quartered white oak furniture. The computer desk that I'm sitting at is quartered white oak. I did not fill the pores when I finished it.

A few people have made guitars using white oak back and sides. It can be quite stunning. I plan to use some of the quartered white oak I have to make a guitar. When I do, I'll fill the pores: the open pore look isn't what I want in a guitar finish. It just depends on what you want.
Mission Style is my favorite. You would think it would be not to hard to source really old Quartersawn Oak for not much money, since guitar players are not clamoring after it. Would it make a difference in sound if I could land a set that has significant aging, or does this not matter much past a certain point.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:52 PM

What would you consider real old?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:17 PM

It doesn’t matter much beyond a certain point. The oak I have is about 15 years old, well dried.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
What would you consider real old?
Decades I suppose.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:05 AM

I am almost all out of this wood now but I have been building white oak parlor guitars from oak collected from a barn built in about 1920. So it's roughly 100 years old. The people who have bought the guitars tend to think that the aged oak has a lot to do with it. I don't, but I let them continue thinking that way

I'm one of those who is of the opinion that the majority of the tone comes from the top.

But using well aged and definitely quarter sawn oak is a good idea since oak likes to move a lot in reaction to changes in RH. QS oak is a must, don't skimp on that.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:15 AM

Not sure if someone would keep a guitar set or oak board for decades. It is not a wood that has been built with much in the recent times and it is not likely a vintage guitar set would be sitting around in may places. Maybe John Arnold, Alan Carruth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair