The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-24-2020, 12:41 PM

Default Gibson B-25 12 String Adjustable Bridge Replacement

Does anyone know where to find a Rosewood Bridge for a Gibson B-25 12N Guitar. It is a 1964 Gibson. The bridge is pulling a little off the neck just slightly. Some on the forum have said they play through it. I can't seem to find a replacement for the bridge. I am surprised its so hard since it is such a common problem.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingnut13 View Post
Does anyone know where to find a Rosewood Bridge for a Gibson B-25 12N Guitar. It is a 1964 Gibson. The bridge is pulling a little off the neck just slightly. Some on the forum have said they play through it. I can't seem to find a replacement for the bridge. I am surprised its so hard since it is such a common problem.
The guitar is 56 years old, how many exist?, no manufactirer is going to keep parts for that long and no after market manufacturer is going to tool up and produce for anything less than a 1000 pieces at a guess.

Typically that is why you see a luthier, they hand make a replica using your exisiting part as reference

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-25-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Anyone Suggest reglueing the old one?

The bridge is just pulling off where you can slip a piece of thick paper under it. I just bought the guitar and took that into consideration. Just thought that maybe I should fix it before I string it up and start playing it. For Gibson ..1964 is mid stream. There are still guitars from the 1940's out there. I have someone who said they could take a modern bridge and adapt it but I would thing a collector would frown upon it. Thanks for you help.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:50 PM

A good repairman can make a bridge in little more time than modifying a modern bridge, and it won't have any compromises.
Any particular reason you are looking for a replacement, rather than just regluing the original? A warped original bridge can be straightened with heat while it is off.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Replacing Bridge versus Re-glueing the Old One

Thanks for your reply. I actually went to a different Luthier and he is cleaning and re-glueing the old bridge. Better to keep the guitar intact. The previous guy was selling me on replacing the bridge calling the old ones crap. Glad I did not listen to him. Will post pics when it comes back. The guitar is in such good shape for a +50 year old instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair